Moving Files at Incredible Speed

NoJones

Hi !

Is it typical that moving large quantities of files is practically impossible?

I'm moving 587GB of files :

Source : 750GB HD753LJ / JMB36x / Gigabyte EP45-UD3R

Target : 2000GB RAID5 volume / 5 x WD6401AALS / ICH10R

Other : 480GB RAID0 on same 5 disk array

System:

Vista Ultimate SP1 x64 / dedicated 640GB WD6401AALS on JMB 36x / Q6600(10%) / 4GB ram(60%) / 512MB HD4850 / Kaspersky6 (killed) / Indexing OFF

The status of moving these files has been 'About 5hrs' for three hours now (?). Also system responsiveness is below acceptable level considering it has s***loads of resources at it's disposal including bandwidth. At 50MB/s average this should've been done allready in 3hrs. Am I doing something wrong? Should I go back to 32bit XP?

NoJones

Edited by NoJones

As a Microsoft Vista problem, this was fixed (in theory) with SP1. Read about it here. You have SP1, so this is not probably your problem, but read

http://www.pctipsbox.com/speed-up-slow-fil...-windows-vista/

Note the comments at the end especially the reference to the Realtec NIC driver. Suggest you go to your MoBo manufacturer and check for latest MoBo driver or use DriverMax or DriverDetective to make sure you have latest drivers.

This is no doubt a bit of a sales splurge for the program, but there is some good points in the blog

http://www.claretyconsulting.com/it/commen...fer/2009-01-19/

And Google this

vista slow transfer of files

And look for any new posts (after mid 2008) so SP1 is not the solution

You shouldn't have to buy a third pary piece of software to make yours work. I gave you those references as to what others had done.

It will be your Network card driver at fault. DON'T get it from Microsoft, go to your MoBo manufacturer and get the right one from there. If you have allowed Windows updates to add a driver for your NIC, then that may well be the problem!