KB908531 okay with Fred?

PMikeP

First, thanks to TommyP for starting a new Hotfix list. A thankless job and it looks like the others have lost interest. (Especially for W2K.)

Second, I searched for this question on the forum. Please forgive if it's been discussed already.

I'm rebuilding my HF folder for yet another build of Fred's ie-less W2K file set. Am using TommyP's Windows 2000 list, but notice it contains KB908531, which Fred says, in his Step 3:

"If you are using my fileset, do NOT use the following hotfixes:"

KB842773

KB892130

KB905474

KB908531

So, include it in the HF folder or not? If not, perhaps it should be annotaded "Not for use with Fred's File set."

(Also true of KB842773 on TommyP's list. I don't see the other two on TommyP's list.)

KB908531v2 shouldn't be included when using FDV's fileset, as it still includes the shell-patroller 'Verclsid.exe'. It's just the second revision of that update, which fixes an issue with explorer sometimes hanging with it's first revision...

Edited by Martin H

I'll put a comment in the notes column about the 908531 hotfix but will post the new list after patch Tuesday. I hfcleanup and that verclsid.exe file is deleted in my hfslip run. There's lots of other worthless files that the hotfixes add too.

If TommyP wants to take the time to annotate files on his W2K SP4 Hotfix list that aren't needed for a NO IE install using Fred's File set, in addition to Fred's Four (of which only two are listed on TommyP's list), I submit these aren't needed:

KB917537 (Fred removes IIS)

KB923810 (Fred removes Kodak junk)

KB938827 (Not sure. Doesn't Fred kill Microsoft Agent?)

KB942831 (Again, Fred removes IIS)

KB956391 (Fred removes Active X)

KB893803 (No Windows Updater w/o IE)

I'm not sure if this is needed for Fred's with no IE:

KB899589 (NetWare)

KB926121 (Remote Installation Services)

KB951071 (MSMQ)

KB911564 (Media Player Plug-in. Plugs into IE?)

"No job is impossible for the man who doesn't have to do it himself."

Mike <><

Hi guys!

My general policy on this topic is:

1. A hotfix that slows Windows down: I instruct users not to use it

2. A hotfix for some component I remove like IIS: I give no instruction, as it wouldn't install anyway

I find that only telling users about #1 keeps confusion to a minimum. Also, it keeps TommyP from having to create annotations because his list is not quite autogenerated, but generated very quickly, and I wouldn't want to slow his process down.

Good eye though, PMikeP...

Thanks, Fred, for clearing up how things work regarding HofFixes. "No harm, no foul," then. Populate the HF folder with all of TommyP's Windows HotFixes (except the "fab four" (or only two in TommyP's list)) and only the HF's needed will be used.

I was obsessing about putting "wrong" (unneeded) HotFixes in the HF folder. I thought they might undo all the minimization we were trying to do.

Comment added later: You see, in TommyP's list he warns,

"If you are using Fred's fileset, use IE5 hotixes. If slipstreaming IE6, use IE6 hotfixes. Do not use both!"

The implication is that putting both hotfixes for IE6 and IE5 in the HF folder will mess something up, even tho they have distinctive names for the files.

So maybe having both sets of HotFixes in HF will not mess things up?

Edited by PMikeP