Windows 7 put up against Vista and XP in hardcore multicore benchmarks

PeaceByJesus

Outside of the fact that W/7 is still in beta, I thought this article is quite substantive, and helps explain many things.

"But first, the straight skinny on Vista: Compared with Windows XP, Vista delivered database transaction times that were a full 92 percent slower on our dual-core test bed. However, when the focus shifted to our quad-core system, the performance gap with XP narrowed to just 19 percent. Likewise, the workflow portion of the test went from a 98 percent delta on two cores to a more modest (yet still gaping) 66 percent delta on four."

"...when viewed under the same processor-utilization parameters as Windows XP, Windows Vista consumes 40 percent more CPU cycles per database transaction on our dual-core test bed and 44 percent more on our quad-core test bed. Similarly, Vista chews up 30 percent more cycles when executing our workflow transaction loop on dual-core and 27 percent more cycles on quad-core."

Windows 7 put up against Vista and XP in hardcore multicore benchmarks, XP wins

this is a "benchmark" of a MS loather. he published several "benchmark" where he wrote that SQL Server is slow on Win2000 against WinNT 4 ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randall_C._Kennedy ). Now he does the same with Win7 compared to XP. Ignore such people and don't read his nonsense.

Edited by MagicAndre1981

Also, if he wants to compare SQL, it would be better to compare the platforms it actually runs on - Server 2003 vs Server 2008 vs Server 2008 R2 beta. That would have been a far more interesting test indeed.

My own personal test suggest windows 7 is better than xp, when comparing i used the exact same machine and compare witht he same progmra everytihng suggests windows 7 to be about 10% faster than xp. i wont go down to say what the gap between xp/7 and vista is its more than 60%