Unofficial Windows 95 OSR2.x Service Pack 1.0x Final Release

erpdude8

Because using the Win95 shell with Win98 opens a whole other can of worms.

This is the first time I've seen 98lite's main draw referred to negatively.

My 98micro system has been running 5 years without a shell conflict.

as long as you use apps that don't depend on functions from v4.72 of shell32.dll file.

the win95 shell is very anemic, weak and flawed nowadays since my old computers (intel celeron-based machines) can handle win98+ shells and more programs seem to require at least the win98/2000/me shell.

Edited by erpdude8

• 3 weeks later...

Links to current OSR2 SP1 editions:

http://www.mdgx.com/web.htm#OS1

* Unofficial Windows 95B/95C OSR 2.0/2.1/2.5 Service Pack 1 (SP1) 1.05 installs ALL previously released Hotfixes, Patches + Updates (English, free):

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=129504

- OSR2 SP1 1.05 Full [51.1 MB]:

http://www.mdgx.com/spx/OSR2SP1.EXE

- OSR2 SP1 1.05 Lite [27.8 MB]:

http://www.mdgx.com/spx/OSR2SP1L.EXE

HTH

• 6 months later...

changes for v1.05-

-updated WMP 6.4 package for the full osr2 service pack containing latest strmdll.dll security fix

FWIW, the latest W95 compatible versions was WMP 7.0.

Certainly, I'll have to try this SP on an old machine when I have the time. W95 is definitely much faster than W98 on such machines.

Joe.

Certainly, I'll have to try this SP on an old machine when I have the time. W95 is definitely much faster than W98 on such machines.

Joe.

It's possible to install WMP 7.1 using a special script and a couple of files from the 7.0 package.

Also the Windows Media 9 Codec Package for WMP 7 will install with only one error, an "Error registering OCX..." I don't remember the rest of it, Ill have to check again. But after that error it says it's installed successfully.

Edited by LoneCrusader

Joe.

It's possible to install WMP 7.1 using a special script and a couple of files from the 7.0 package.

Also the Windows Media 9 Codec Package for WMP 7 will install with only one error, an "Error registering OCX..." I don't remember the rest of it, Ill have to check again. But after that error it says it's installed successfully.

As an off-topic aside, I'm interested to learn what advantage WMP7x has over 6.4 on Windows 95. Would either of you have anything to say on this? My only off-the-cuff idea would be about DVD playback, but I was under the impression that a simple registry fix can enable it in 6.4, too.

As an off-topic aside, I'm interested to learn what advantage WMP7x has over 6.4 on Windows 95. Would either of you have anything to say on this? My only off-the-cuff idea would be about DVD playback, but I was under the impression that a simple registry fix can enable it in 6.4, too.

Good question. However, I can't really answer, as I don't think I've ever actually used 6.4.

Joe.

Good question. However, I can't really answer, as I don't think I've ever actually used 6.4.

Joe.

Same here :}

I have always used WMP 7 or 7.1, even on 98SE. I don't like the way WMP9 looks, to much XP-Lego-Look for my taste.

I may install 6.4 in a VM and play with it if I get a chance.

For the record - I seem to remember a while back seeing an unofficial method for installing WMP9 on 98FE and possibly 95, but I can no longer find the relevant pages. Anyone else remember this? :unsure:

I may install 6.4 in a VM and play with it if I get a chance.

It would be good to know the outcome of your comparison. Please let us know in that event. :)

For the record - I seem to remember a while back seeing an unofficial method for installing WMP9 on 98FE and possibly 95, but I can no longer find the relevant pages. Anyone else remember this? :unsure:

I think this was based on erpdude8's work (someone please correct me if I'm wrong). In any case, MDGx (of course) hosts an unofficial WMP9 for 98 FE here:

http://www.mdgx.com/wmp.htm#WMP9

Direct download:

http://www.mdgx.com/spx/WMP90_98.EXE

As an aside, which is indirectly of interest to this thread, last night I managed for the first time ever, to use a USB Flash drive on W95B/C!

I downloaded the SR2 updates 'usbsupp.zip' and 'usbupd2.zip' (because I don't recall where I've put the relevant CD-ROM) and 'USBQFE.EXE' from MDGx's site, and Nathan Lineback's driver as mentioned in the following thread :

I installed the USB updates in turn, rebooting after each one. I noted the caution in the 'USBQFE.EXE' unofficial update to ensure the standard versions of the affected files were not re-installed, so when it came time to install 'w95usbflash11', I clicked on "Skip File" every time it asked for the CD-ROM.

After the final reboot, I connected a Flash drive, but nothing happened. So I manually installed a Lexar model at random from Nathan's driver, but still no joy. Then I checked in Device Manager and found the USB Controller was in the "Other" category, which effectively meant it was disabled. I assume it had been all along, which would explain why nothing happened initially. Deleting this caused a flurry of "Found New Hardware" activity, and at the end of it all, the USB Flash drive was working! Amazing!

Joe.

• 6 months later...
  • 10 months later...

@erpdude8

I was wondering where you found CONFIGMG.VXD v4.00.1113 that is contained in your USP?

I have been unable to turn up any KB articles or HotFixes that mention this particular version or what it was supposed to address :unsure:

I have found CONFIGMG.VXD v4.00.1112 in the PCCARD Update (IIRC :unsure:) as well as on the Windows 95C CDROM, and I have found documentation that a v4.00.1114 exists in the Q282901 HotFix that no one seems to have, or be able to find, except Petr, who apparently had it at one time, but he has now disappeared :}

Edited by LoneCrusader

Is this project still alive, because I'm hoping that there will be another SP for Windows 95, I love that OS!

yes the OSR2 SP project is still alive but except very infrequent or few updates to it. I may plan to release an updated service pack near the end of 2012 when I find time. when I do provide a new version of the SP, it will not be mentioned here in this topic. it will have a separate thread.

@erpdude8

I was wondering where you found CONFIGMG.VXD v4.00.1113 that is contained in your USP?

I have been unable to turn up any KB articles or HotFixes that mention this particular version or what it was supposed to address :unsure:

I have found CONFIGMG.VXD v4.00.1112 in the PCCARD Update (IIRC :unsure:) as well as on the Windows 95C CDROM, and I have found documentation that a v4.00.1114 exists in the Q282901 HotFix that no one seems to have, or be able to find, except Petr, who apparently had it at one time, but he has now disappeared :}

Version 4.00.1114 of configmg.vxd file is available in Japanese language only and is NOT available in English language as I was told by MS. I don't remember exactly where I found build 1113 of the configmg.vxd file but I must have found it in an update package for certain old IBM laptop machines with pre-installed Win95 OSR2.x.

Edited by erpdude8

Version 4.00.1114 of configmg.vxd file is available in Japanese language only and is NOT available in English language as I was told by MS. I don't remember exactly where I found build 1113 of the configmg.vxd file but I must have found it in an update package for certain old IBM laptop machines with pre-installed Win95 OSR2.x.

It may only be available in Japanese currently, but it was available in English. (I have also contacted MS about it to no avail.)

Straight from the KB Article:

The English version of this fix should have the following file attributes or later:

Date Time Version Size File name

---------------------------------------------------

02/06/2001 01:48p 4.00.1114 107,033 Configmg.vxd

02/06/2001 01:39p 4.00.1115 68,962 Ios.vxd

Petr apparently had it at one time, but he is no longer active here and I have been unable to contact him.

It may only be available in Japanese currently, but it was available in English. (I have also contacted MS about it to no avail.)

Straight from the KB Article:

The English version of this fix should have the following file attributes or later:

Date Time Version Size File name

---------------------------------------------------

02/06/2001 01:48p 4.00.1114 107,033 Configmg.vxd

02/06/2001 01:39p 4.00.1115 68,962 Ios.vxd

only for a brief time Q282901 was available in english language but they've revoked it a long time ago due to unforeseen problems. Microsoft is NOT always correct in which languages they provide certain hotfixes when they mention them in certain KB articles. they have not always been consistent in that, LoneCrusader.

Petr apparently had it at one time, but he is no longer active here and I have been unable to contact him.

no, he did not have it in english. Petr didn't specficially state which language he has those updated files, so I'm not convinced that he has all those files in english language. if he did had the files from Q282901 in english, he would have told me & sent them to me a long time ago and I would have included them in the SP already - all which never did happen.

Edited by erpdude8