Assigning IPs to networks

rv31

Take this post for example, http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=127562, this guy was setting up about 50 /60 end devices (mainly workstations and printers) using 1 router and 3 switches.

Would you just let DHCP assign all the IPs on this network pretty much...........?

Also, would you be ok with cat5 cables or would you benefit much from cat5e/6/6e or fibre etc....?

Also what if your router died how would you have a back up router (or switch if that died) so that you never lost connectivity or can you do this?

Edited by rv31

Would you just let DHCP assign all the IPs on this network pretty much...........?

Probably not... I'd use a mix of Static addresses and DHCP. For the workstations, DHCP is fine, and recommended. For the servers, printers, and various other devices, I'd do a static IP address.

Also, would you be ok with cat5 cables or would you benefit much from cat5e/6/6e or fibre etc....?

Where possible, I'd use cat6, especially if I'm building the site from scratch.

Also what if your router died how would you have a back up router (or switch if that died) so that you never lost connectivity or can you do this?

Sometimes you have to plan for that and have a backup plan in place. If 0 downtime is allowed, then you'll have to pay for that and keep a backup router and/or switch on hand in case of a failure.