$OEM$ Not Getting Copied over during Windows Install

Hi, i have read every tutorial out there, i am going crazyyy. Im trying to make a custom XP Home Disc. I have tryed copying files from an original HP OEM disc & Also an XP installation I downloaded. <-- Obviously not at the same time!! I have also tryed all methods using an OEM XP Pro Disc also. Incidently i have successfuly merged SP3 using the MS Deployment tool.

I have used the manual extraction method (incidently in one of my 1000 attempts i have used Nlite also) & have added my winnt.sif file saved to my i386 folder as below:

[Data]
AutoPartition=0
MsDosInitiated="0"
UnattendedInstall="Yes"

[Unattended]
UnattendMode=FullUnattended
OemSkipEula=Yes
OemPreinstall=Yes
TargetPath=\WINDOWS
FileSystem=*
UnattendSwitch="yes"
WaitForReboot="No"
DriverSigningPolicy=Ignore
KeyboardLayout="United Kingdom"

[GuiUnattended]
AdminPassword=*
EncryptedAdminPassword=No
OEMSkipRegional=1
TimeZone=85
OemSkipWelcome=1

[UserData]
ProductKey=X00XX-X0XXX-X0XX0-0XXXX-XXX0X
FullName="USER"
OrgName="Home"
ComputerName=PC-HOME

[Display]
BitsPerPel=32
Xresolution=1280
YResolution=1024
Vrefresh=85

[TapiLocation]
CountryCode=44
Dialing=Tone
AreaCode=01379

[RegionalSettings]
LanguageGroup=1
Language=00000809

[Identification]
JoinWorkgroup=MSHOME

[Networking]
InstallDefaultComponents=Yes

[Branding]
BrandIEUsingUnattended=Yes

[URL]
Home_Page=http://www.google.co.uk

[IEPopupBlocker]
BlockPopups=No
FilterLevel=Low
ShowInformationBar=Yes

[WindowsFirewall]
Profiles = WindowsFirewall.TurnOffFirewall

[WindowsFirewall.TurnOffFirewall]
Mode = 0

[Components]
msmsgs=off
msnexplr=off

[Shell]
DefaultStartPanelOff = Yes
DefaultThemesOff = Yes

[GuiRunOnce]
%systemdrive%\install\start.cmd

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In my folders directory i have at root - $OEM$ - This is parrallel to I386 & setup.exe ect.

In $OEM$ directory is Folder "$1", and in there is "start.cmd", and also another folder named "Applications" (which includes all my progs).

So the directory layout is $OEM$>$1>INSTALL>APPLICATIONS.

My start.cmd file is as follows:

@echo off
TITLE JLM-Computing -WINXP Additional Software Installation

ECHO.
ECHO Hang Fire Whilst I Install Anti-Virus
ECHO Microsoft Office
ECHO Tune Up Utilites
ECHO And All Windows Updates, hold tight
ECHO This might take a while depending on
ECHO Your System Spec........

ECHO.
ECHO Removing useless shortcuts...
DEL "%systemdrive%\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Set Program Access and Defaults.lnk"
DEL "%systemdrive%\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Windows Catalog.lnk"

ECHO.
ECHO Installing Net 2 Framework
ECHO Please wait...
start /wait %systemdrive%\install\Applications\net2\netfx.msi /qb ADDEPLOY=1

ECHO.
ECHO Installing Net 3 Framework
ECHO Please wait...
start /wait %systemdrive%\install\Applications\net3\Dotnetfx3setup.exe /qb /norestart

ECHO.
ECHO Installing Kaspersky Anti-Virus
ECHO Please wait...
start /wait %systemdrive%\install\Applications\Kaspersky\kis.en.msi /QB /norestart

ECHO.
ECHO Installing Office 2003
ECHO Please wait...
start /wait %systemdrive%\install\Applications\Office2003\office.exe

ECHO.
ECHO Installing Adobe Reader 8
ECHO Please wait...
start /wait %SYSTEMDRIVE%\Install\Applications\adobe\AdbeRdr80_en_US.exe /sAll

ECHO.
ECHO Installing Sun Java VM
ECHO Please wait...
start /wait %SYSTEMDRIVE%\Install\Applications\java\jre.exe /s /v/qn

ECHO.
ECHO O.K Cooking with gas
ECHO Restarting the PC in 1 minute...
shutdown.exe -r -f -t 60 -c "Windows XP will now restart in 1 minute, this will give
enough time for the shortcuts to update and for the shell to fully load before it\'s ready to restart!"

EXIT

winnt.sif & start.cmd are the only 2 files i have added / modified.

I am using the CDIMAGEGUI program to create my image, all with default options. Also i am running windows Vista 32bit.

Also, i am using VMWare to test my installations, i have not yet used or burnt a cd.

These are my 2 problems: 1> During the Windows Installation, every time without fail i will get an error saying that my autoinstallation settings are incorrect. As a result i have to entre my windows licence code & click continue. After this the whole installation continues completly un-attended and after 15 minutes my system starts up and logs on.

Problem No 2, THE MAIN PROBLEM ( the one that has nearly led to me jumping off a large bridge): Once windows loads up and auto-logs on it installs the VMSoftware, and then...... NOTHING!!! It does not even attempt to install any of my programs, there's no cmd/bat screen, no setup screens, no nothing!! Now heres the funny thing, if i go into my C: drive, i would have thought to expect to see a folder there namded "Install" in there along side windows/documents & settings ect. , but as you guessed, there is nothing!! I have gone to folder options and displayed hidden files but still nothing.

I know that my start.cmd script works because if i go into my Virtual CD drive (set to my custom XPSETUP disc) and copy over the "Install" Folder located in $OEM$/1$ to my C: , and then run start.cmd - WALLA, The Command Prompt opens and all programs install like a charm.

SO, my brain is telling me that the $OEM$ folder isnt getting copied over during the windows install. Why would this be?? And does it have something to do also with the XP KEY not going in automatically? I have tryed copying the $OEM$ folder to I386 but still no joy there either! No matter what i do my "Install" folder will not get copied over to C: during installation. (I have done a search for it also)

I will be the happiest man alive if someone has the answer to this extremely annoying problem, as i have quite litteraly spent the last 4 nights trauling through forums and reading up on every guide and tutorial out there.

Edited by madensphere
appropriate CODEBOX tags added and Product Key removed

Dude....edit out your product key....

As for why your script doesn't work - your path is wrong. Your OEM structure is like so: $OEM$>$1>APPLICATIONS

Which would mean the Applications folder would be copied to the root of C drive.

Your script is calling this path: %systemdrive%\install\Applications\net2\netfx.msi /qb ADDEPLOY=1

...which would imply everything is installed to C:\Install\Applications.

Either fix the OEM stucture or fix the script to remove \Install.

Hi Netman66, thanks for yuor reply. Its was a long and late night last night when i posted and i made an error in my post, I can confirm my directory structure is as you advised: $oem$\1$\install\applications. My Start.cmd file is saved in "Install". Within Applications I have all my app folders, e.g Kaspersy .

Any more advice I would greatly appreciate. I mean surely the problem lyes with the $OEM$ folder not getting copied over during install, why would this be though??

Thanks again

P.s Sorry about posting serial key. NOOb

I really need to start reading my posts through before posting them. I can confirm that my directory structure is as follows: $OEM$>$1/Install/Applications

Please see attached pic to confirm this.

Thanks in advcance for any advice

post-230516-1233775079_thumb.jpg

Edited by madensphere

Hi, thanks for all your support and replys. In response to the last bit of advice, i have already tryed placing it in the i386 folder. I have however sussed it. I burnt the iso to disc and installed on a test machine and everything worked brilliantly. So the problem is with VMware interfering with the installation in some way.

Any ideas??? <- As it would be great to be able to test my iso's without having to waist a disc and a test station??

The $OEM$ folder sits at the same level as i386.

The fault lies in the SIF the way I see it.

MsDosInitiated="0" should actually be MsDosInitiated=No

UnattendedInstall="Yes" should be UnattendedInstall=Yes

Depending on whether you want to be prompted for the installation partition the value of AutoPartition set to 0 will prompt, 1 will not.

Hey Netman, thanks for your advice.

I am just curious though as to why my script and custom winnt.sif work perfectly when burnt to a disc, but when i run the ISO through VMware it does not work??

Surely if my WINNT.sif file was incorrect then the installation would also fail when i burn it to disc and run on a test machine? <- Which it doesnt, it works a charm once burnt to disc tested.

Weird or what?!?!?!!! :wacko:

Thanks in advance.

Try putting quotes to the GuiRunOnce

[GuiRunOnce]
"%systemdrive%\install\start.cmd"

And rename the Applications folder to something like "Apps" and rename accordingly in the batch file.

Try and see if it works!

It is certainly odd for it to work once burnt. Does it work loading from the CD in vmware?

have you tried Sun's virtualbox or M$'s Virtual PC or any other virtual environment, maybe vmware is the cause?

Agreed, you should try it

Sure your winnt.sif just fine (quotes make sense on value with space), I once have a trouble with mkisofs (totally different from cdimage). When I use ISO level 4 (wo any other extension joliet or r2) the Filesystem become case sensitive (big problem at DOS part but no problem at GUI part) and $Oem$ is not equal to $OEM$ so on.

Shouldn't be a problem if you use the same image though.

Hi all, well i installed Virtual Box last night, and guess what, my iso's work perfect!!! Just as they would if i copied to disk and ran on a test station. So the problem lyed with VMware in someway??

Any VMware boffin out there have any idea why?? Again Thanks for everyones help!!!!