Windows 7 Start Menu (no flames this time)

pepak

Nothing useful or productive is gonna come out of this thread except some steam. Should be closed unless we just like to argue for the sake of arguing.

No one will win in my opinion. So, all I'm gonna say is.... I like the new start menu and I'm getting my way, nah nah na boo boo. :P

If this was really that big of an issue i think someone would code a new 3rd party start menu (similar to vistart -the Vista start menu clone for XP but in reverse) and i realize those of you with 512mb of ram that wanted to run 7 are already thinking "OMG that would bloat teh sevenz even worser!!!" but IMO, MS has tried to appease the crowd that clings to a stripped down OS and found out that even with those features left in the OS but deactivated by default that same crowd just downgraded to XP (even to the point where people actually pay MORE for their OEM to install an outdated OS :rolleyes: ) there is simply no money (for MS) in catering to the stripped down OS crowd. If it has a legitimate need (security/cross compatibility) to be deactivated and reverted to its previous functionality, then it should be left in. but in this case, its really time for the 'classic mode' to go.

pepak, read this article. It will get you as close to classic as you can with the beta's. After reading the article and seeing the screen shots, "Classic" start menu will probably be in RTM. If not, the article will help get as close as you can with RTM.

near classic start menu for Windows 7 achieved

This is basically what I mentioned in this thread on February 3rd, except I think my approach is more "classic start-menu-like" than what the article mentioned.

pepak, read this article. It will get you as close to classic as you can with the beta's. After reading the article and seeing the screen shots, "Classic" start menu will probably be in RTM. If not, the article will help get as close as you can with RTM.

This is basically what I mentioned in this thread on February 3rd, except I think my approach is more "classic start-menu-like" than what the article mentioned.

The article I found actually tells you how to achieve this, and gives visuals. What you described on Feb 3 gives no hard knowledge of how to actually achieve this, just generalities, and lacked any visuals for the readers to have their hand held while doing it. Please do post step by step the method you hinted at. I myself would like to know exactly what you are talking about and exactly how to do it... visuals and all.

Edited by Mt.Dew

Why would anyone bother to go to that length to get a "classic" menu? It's not classic to me as it involves more clicks.

There again, people will click one more time for their "classic" but not the "new" start menu.

I have no "extra" click to get to the flyout menu. simply move the mouse just like in xp and vista. How do you figure there is one more click to get to the classic flyout menu? And also, the "new" method is more than just one click. It is one click, scroll, scroll. And if you don't want to scroll scroll scroll, you have to take your hands off your mouse and actually type and as you type get "guesses" in return, and often presented with many options that are not even related to the place you are going.

classic menu, one click, move mouse, last click. Very fast. And the human eye is already "looking" for what the end user is on the monitor, so having the "full" view from classic, items are easy to spot, instead of scrolling the all programs in that little window. And let's not forget movement memory pattern as that because habit and so ingrained into a users experience that everything becomes second nature. And when that has been the nature for 15+ years.. well... I will stop here.

My point is, there is absolutely no extra clicking involved with the work around I found

The article I found actually tells you how to achieve this, and gives visuals. What you described on Feb 3 gives no hard knowledge of how to actually achieve this, just generalities, and lacked any visuals for the readers to have their hand held while doing it. Please do post step by step the method you hinted at. I myself would like to know exactly what you are talking about and exactly how to do it... visuals and all.

If you already know the classic menu, you know how to make a toolbar folder and put things in it. If you need a description and screenshots, sorry, I don't have the desire or time to do such a thing right now. You create a new folder, put the start menu folder structure you want inside, then right click on the taskbar and choose New Toolbar and point it at the new folder you created. Look at the Start Menu folder on an older XP/2000 box if you need a reference. It should be easy for anyone familiar with classic to do, as it's quintessentially "classic".

Why would anyone bother to go to that length to get a "classic" menu? It's not classic to me as it involves more clicks.

There again, people will click one more time for their "classic" but not the "new" start menu.

I have no "extra" click to get to the flyout menu. simply move the mouse just like in xp and vista. How do you figure there is one more click to get to the classic flyout menu? And also, the "new" method is more than just one click. It is one click, scroll, scroll. And if you don't want to scroll scroll scroll, you have to take your hands off your mouse and actually type and as you type get "guesses" in return, and often presented with many options that are not even related to the place you are going.

classic menu, one click, move mouse, last click. Very fast. And the human eye is already "looking" for what the end user is on the monitor, so having the "full" view from classic, items are easy to spot, instead of scrolling the all programs in that little window. And let's not forget movement memory pattern as that because habit and so ingrained into a users experience that everything becomes second nature. And when that has been the nature for 15+ years.. well... I will stop here.

My point is, there is absolutely no extra clicking involved with the work around I found

was referring to the "classic" menu workaround posted in the link. not the actual classic menu of 95/2000/xp. even if it opens by mouse-hover, who wants their classic menu back that far away on the screen from the corner.

besides, for me, most of the commonly apps are already in the top 8. i have no need to go start--> programs --> look for apps. i can go to start --> app.

besides, with a scroll wheel, searching for an app is not a chore as it's made out to be.

why don't people just use a mac/linux instead of flaming this forum with useless complaints about windows and microsoft - which is what the forum is form.

@geek:

What are you doing with my ancient computer in your avatar?

Dude the TI99 was sweet. it was the first computer i actually owned. I had space invaders, Extended BASIC and the Voice Modulator(which basically made it a glorified speak and spell with a learning curve)

Ah. good times.

/yeah thats me im the guy hijacking a Windows 7 thread to talk about a computer from 1979 :P

There are several instances where the new start menu structure becomes a hindrance.

Myself I do like the search function however I would like to see it coupled with a cascading menu of applications like the 'Classic Menu'. To have to use the small scrolling box to find things is going to be a hassle... and here's why.

I have over 210 distinct applications on my primary development machine... most of which I use infrequently as the need arises. I have the Menus sorted hierarchically by category which means currently I can find things just buy moving my mouse through the various categories without clicks.

While I do agree the search will be handy take this example: I have a Korn Unix Shell installed for doing some script editing occasionally.. maybe once or twice a year at most. When the application installed it didn't use Korn, or Unix, or Shell in it's name... It's called KSH Emulator. Now I am not going to remember that a year from now but presently it's not a big deal because there it is filed nicely under my scripting development menu. I don't have to expand little folders to find it and scroll up and down... no matter how infrequently it's used and how much I forget it's name I can still have it open in a second or two.

The new Start Menu will be a plus to most users, but to blindly tell everyone this is better for them only proves your ignorance on how others may need to work with their tools. There is no one method that is best for everyone and there is no justification to force one method on everyone.

As for the required code to display the 'classic menu' being gone, this is just plain untrue. The new start menu can display a cascaded menu of any of the right side groups (documents, pictures, games). The ability to display a cascaded menu will never be ripped from the Windows API, it's been around since Windows began. To claim that this somehow cleaned out legacy code in the shell is untrue. At most it cleaned out a couple of API calls and a branch or two, hardly any extreme level of code cleanup that will magically make Win7 so much easier to manage.

Just my 2c.