Halt ImageX during capture process?

zeusabj

hey guys,

I was just wondering if anyone knew of some documented way to "stop" or "cancel" ImageX wile it is in the middle of a capture job? There are times when i start a capture, see that it is going to take way too long and I just need the ability to stop the whole process. I've tried hitting he ESC key (plus a few others) but nothing seems to affect it. I suppose I could always use the Task manager to kill it but I was hoping there might be a better way.

Any ideas?

I had this problem too. Writing a little vbscript to look for and then stop the imagex process is one way of doing this. Its virtual the same as the task manager but you can run it from the command prompt.

no alt+F4 action? suppose you could write a batch, but its essentially the same as the task manager route.

taskkill /IM imagex.exe

ALT+F4 isn't needed, you could just close the CMD box which will do the same thing. The problem is if you are booted into a PE and close that box you are basically done. You can't open a new one. So you'd have to reboot if you did this. imagex.exe doesn't have a GUI. If this was done (as I have done lol) you gotta reboot and start over.

The taskkill (or you can even open taskmgr) is viable but only if you open a second command prompt in order to type that in. Since you execute imagex.exe via the first command prompt, you can't type anything else in until it is finished because it won't be back at the prompt yet.

Edited by Tripredacus

IT WORKED Tripredacus!!! PERFECT! This was exactly what I was looking for, thanks! On a related note I have not had a chance to test it on an APPLY job. Will the same key combination abort ImageX when I am applying an image? This would be useful if I make a mistake and apply the wrong image or something...

Edited by zeusabj

Yes it should also stop it during the apply. The difference is that you will still be left with files on the hard drive, unlike the capture process which will delete the file. So you are still going to have to format the drive again if you put the wrong image on it.

Is your image time very long? My worst case scenario it would only take 4 minutes to image a machine, so if I used the wrong image I could easily redo it.