WPI Classic! v2.2

my god...

i use windows xp sp3

What is your starting script method?

i only execute WPI.hta

Just the 2 apps?

no..all what i put to install..when the installation of all the program finished..it start the general installation again

Service pack level?

Clean Install or existing install?

clean install...

well..i dont know if you have tryied it...but im going to right my experience:

a friend of mine..made a connection between he and my computer with teamviewer...

all the times he executed my wpi...the installation list only was displayed one time....

so..i tryied (while he was connected viewing my computer) to execute wpi..and the installation list appeared only one time :wacko: ..so i said "WTF!?" :blink:

i tryied 5 more times..but 3 of those the installation list appeared 2 times :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

so i dont know..all the times he tryied..the list installed all the applications one time..without any problem, but when i tryied the same..3 of 5 times the installation list appeared 2 times...

my god.. crazy computers :ph34r:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Another update!

Is there any documentation for config.js? I've got a noddy script that converts the config.js that I use with WPI 7.7.0 and I'd like to fix up as much as possible automatically. (I have an AIO-DVD with both XP and W2K on it).

From the example it looks like {MAKEDIR} becomes MAKEDIR etc.

I expect that I can replace {EXTRACT} with the equivalent CMD stuff to which it expands anyway.

But it would be really cool if EXTRACT and TASKKILL could work too: I'd just fiddle in generate.js but I'd prefer to stick to standard features. (I'd be happy to fiddle and pass on the fiddling if there was a reasonable chance of it making a future release ...)

The only JSCRIPT invocations I use right now are TimedWaitForFile and WriteRegKey. I can certainly rewrite the latter to whatever it used to be before I upgraded it, not sure about the former. How hard would it be to add support for JSCRIPT (or will it simply not work on the target OSes?)

Cheers,

deadbug

I can help you with most of this. There was a autoscript called taskkills.exe that worked like task kill I will see if I still have it. (yes i do)

Extract will not work.

The JScript functions will not work.

Limited to 6 commandlines per entry.

You can also use the KILL command to terminate a group of processes based on the process name or window title. This is a good way to shut down all instances of a failing application that opens up new instances of itself. The following command will terminate all the open Notepad windows:

Kill *note*

If the KILL command doesn't work, you can try using an –F switch to force a process to stop. However, be careful which processes you terminate. Some processes are required for the normal operation of Windows, and stopping them in this way could shut down your whole system.

I can add kill in to the list of things wpi can do.

Edited by Kelsenellenelvian

I can help you with most of this. There was a autoscript called taskkills.exe that worked like task kill I will see if I still have it. (yes i do)

I forget what I used to do before I found {TASKKILL}, but I thought it was some tool that came with WPI. Anyhow, this would be good. Thanks

Extract will not work.

It's not there now, but it looks simple enough to add - it depends on 7z in Tools ... is there a reason not to add that? I'm sure it would work on W2K ... no idea about W98 though.

The JScript functions will not work.

A quick peek at WPI suggests that all it does is strip off an inital JSCRIPT and then hope that the function exists. If that's right, then that's probably good enough to get me started. I do only use two JavaScript functions anyway and I'm sure I can dig up the sources for those from somewhere :whistle: . That said, the registry writing I can almost as easily substitute back in the nircmd.exe incantation that I used to use. TimedWaitForFile is dirt simple JS that I'm sure I can plonk in there somewhere.

Limited to 6 commandlines per entry.

Yes. But that's not a problem. The one place where I did have more than six (my Start Menu creation stuff) I'd split into multiple entries anyway. But even that I've now hived off into an AutoIt script (for other reasons) so even that's down to just one cmd[]. I'll probably just generate excess cmds and have the ruby spit out a warning at the end. That way I can edit the WPI config.js if things ever do break.

I also noticed that DELDIR seems to be missing, as well as RUNBG (what's that do?), SLEEP, REBOOT, [uN]REGDLL, INSTINF, REGEDIT.

I don't use any of those except DELDIR ... is that just a later addition that never got back-ported or is there some reason it's not there? I think I might try out a little hackery tomorrow ... but stop me now if I'm barking up the wrong tree!

Actually this isn't a back-port. It's an update to the last version of WPI that worked on win 98se. Thats why there are SOOOO many missing features.

My goals and wishes for this is to keep it as small and lean as possible.

I also noticed that DELDIR seems to be missing, as well as RUNBG (what's that do?), SLEEP, REBOOT, [uN]REGDLL, INSTINF, REGEDIT.

I don't use any of those except DELDIR ... is that just a later addition that never got back-ported or is there some reason it's not there? I think I might try out a little hackery tomorrow ... but stop me now if I'm barking up the wrong tree!

ALOT of these will not work on the older os's (I spent a full night just trying to get a task killer to work in 98 :( )

While trying I found a major flaw in WPIC though so expect an update soon.

Actually this isn't a back-port. It's an update to the last version of WPI that worked on win 98se. Thats why there are SOOOO many missing features.

My goals and wishes for this is to keep it as small and lean as possible.

Lean and mean is an admirable goal. But I'd still like to make a plea for DELDIR ... it's a single line and it rounds out the existing file access functions quite nicely. I added all the others to my generate.js just because they were easy to copy across - I don't use them so I've not tested them at all.

I can see how REBOOT and SLEEP might be generally useful to others. EXTRACT and TASKKILL I do use but I think I can probably get my script to rewrite those easily enough. (I'll check out my old AIO-DVDs and see how I used to do TASKKILL before that command came along).

ALOT of these will not work on the older os's (I spent a full night just trying to get a task killer to work in 98 :( )

One thing I do think I'll need is getOSver() and getSPver() for conditionals. Again, others will have their own "necessary" functions. I remember that before JSCRIPT came along I hacked a TimedWaitForFile() (or similar) into one of the .js files and then asked for a way to execute it. So I wonder if it would be possible to have a userfunctions.js (or similar) into which people can drop their own extensions. Then they'd be magically available for cond[] statements (I think) and if you added basic support for "JSCRIPT=" then everybody could have their cake and eat it.

(Yes, I did have a quick go, but it didn't quite work :unsure: )

Anyway, thanks for all the effort that's going into WPIC and WPI.

getOSver() and getSPver() are not possibly since WMI is not on 95/98/ME. There may be some other way, but it would be a hack to check them.

Well if push comes to shove I can just hardcode getOSver() as "2K" and getSPver() as 4, but that's a bit smelly really :o

The code does something like:

try {
wmiStuff
} catch (ex) {
WshShell.RegRead(a-key)
}

Will that even run on W95 or does something horrible happen that cannot be caught when it tries the wmi call? (I've found my W95 key ... if I find my install CD I'll give it a go!)

• 1 month later...