Too hard for my brains...

Ok, i must admit it, its too darn advanced even for me, im turning to you guys now.

I need an installation DVD wich contains 2 separate versions of diffirent language windows xp sp3´s

What it should do is:

When booted from dvd, will ask if boot will come from dvd. . .

Then it gives a list of choises:

Install Finnish XP SP3

Install Turkish XP SP3

Install BOTH XP SP3

Now, before you ask how the f*** is that possible and fit to the 4.7 gig dvd, i have thought of it allready. MUI (multilingual User Interface. While the install is attended, it could copy and set place the MUI, and set up either 1 or 2 users. (finnish, turkish or both) if you got some time to tweak it, you could place finnish flag and turkish flag as user pictures, but thats too much to ask at this point.

The install itself should be clean install, wipe the partitions iof install drive, make new full partition that covers the whole hdd.

It should not install following windows apps : windows messenger, windows media center,windows movie maker or welcome center.

It should preinstall Office 2007 (but only in the Finnish section of installs.

Also it should preintall: Messenger live, Scype, Limewire turbo, java, WinRAR, flash capabilities, Tuneup Utilities 2009 ed. & Latest nero.

And it should also have the latest hofixes...

Its a pretty demanding list, but would save me hours of installation times as these turkish finnish people are hopelessly thumb in the middle of the hand with computers, and i hate to go there every single time to install those things time after time after time after... (*hour later*) ...time

With this kind of installation dvd, i would be out from there in about 4h instead of 7.

So please, if ther is some1 who can help me to archieve this life saver, id really appreceate it.

I myself can go as far as the advanced setup of single os installer, but this task where theres finnish persons in hte family too, and they use either turkish, finnish or both... Is driving me nuts.

please HELP!

Edited by JHawx

Ok, i must admit it, its too darn advanced even for me, im turning to you guys now.

I need an installation DVD wich contains 2 separate versions of diffirent language windows xp sp3´s

What it should do is:

When booted from dvd, will ask if boot will come from dvd. . .

Then it gives a list of choises:

Install Finnish XP SP3

Install Turkish XP SP3

Install BOTH XP SP3

Now, before you ask how the f*** is that possible and fit to the 4.7 gig dvd, i have thought of it allready. MUI (multilingual User Interface. While the install is attended, it could copy and set place the MUI, and set up either 1 or 2 users. (finnish, turkish or both) if you got some time to tweak it, you could place finnish flag and turkish flag as user pictures, but thats too much to ask at this point.

The install itself should be clean install, wipe the partitions iof install drive, make new full partition that covers the whole hdd.

It should not install following windows apps : windows messenger, windows media center,windows movie maker or welcome center.

It should preinstall Office 2007 (but only in the Finnish section of installs.

Also it should preintall: Messenger live, Scype, Limewire turbo, java, WinRAR, flash capabilities, Tuneup Utilities 2009 ed. & Latest nero.

And it should also have the latest hofixes...

Its a pretty demanding list, but would save me hours of installation times as these turkish finnish people are hopelessly thumb in the middle of the hand with computers, and i hate to go there every single time to install those things time after time after time after... (*hour later*) ...time

With this kind of installation dvd, i would be out from there in about 4h instead of 7.

So please, if ther is some1 who can help me to archieve this life saver, id really appreceate it.

I myself can go as far as the advanced setup of single os installer, but this task where theres finnish persons in hte family too, and they use either turkish, finnish or both... Is driving me nuts.

please HELP!

This sounds like a fairly straightforward multiboot DVD.

Try the multiboot forum here. If you follow flyakite's tutorial, where he shows how to install (say) Windws XP SP1 and Windows 2000 SP4 (or whatever it is) you just do exactly the same except once you do Finnish windows XP and once you do Turkish Windows XP.

The applications are also fairly straightforward. The unattended guide on this site walks you through various methods of unattended install. I use WPI (also has a forum here) but there are plenty of other methods.

You can (I think) rip out all the bits you say you don't want by using nLite.

I'm not clear what you mean by "install both XP SP3". I assume that you mean that each of the two installs should have SP3 as part of it. I'd suggest going further and having RyanVM's post-sp3 install slipstreamed into both.

If you use CDIMAGE to prepare your ISO, then it will "notice" when certain files are identical and only write them once (but they end up in the TOC the right number of times). I have XP Home + Pro SP0,1,2,3,3+RyanVM, Windows 2000 SP0,1,2,3,4 all one one DVD along with ~1.5GB of apps and UBCD. So i think (unless office is now even more incredibly bloated than it used to be) you'll have no problem fitting all your stuff on.

-- deadbug

actually, what i ment with WinXP sp3 BOTH was that it:

installs win xp pro english

Runs MUI installation with turkish + finnish language added

It then creates 2 users, sets user no.1 to use the national settings and finnish userface. The second user is set to use turkish user interface.

If i do the multibooting setup, i need 670 megs more space, while having MUI setup i can save around 500 megs space.

I can apply the MUI to english professional XPsp3, but it has that restriction. You only need 1 windows to add language user interfaces to it.

if your not getting what i mean, follow this link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multilingual_User_Interface

The booting selection thus only selects how many users to be added, and what nationalities must be added to install.

I know this is possible as i have seen an installation dvd with options on it, on it it asked if the added programs are to be installed with xp installation. It also included driver packages separetly if they were not needed

Edited by JHawx

actually, what i ment with WinXP sp3 BOTH was that it:

installs win xp pro english

Runs MUI installation with turkish + finnish language added

It then creates 2 users, sets user no.1 to use the national settings and finnish userface. The second user is set to use turkish user interface.

I can apply the MUI to english professional XPsp3, but it has that restriction. You only need 1 windows to add language user interfaces to it.

So if you were doing this manually, is this what you would do:

-1 install windows XP pro english

-2 upgrade to SP3 (if necessary)

-3 apply MUI to add Finnish & Turkish

-4 create user F, language = Finnish

-5 create user T, language = Turkish

-6 set flags.

If that's close, then 1 & 2 is easy.

I don't know how MUI would be applied normally so I cannot help with (3).

4 & 5 should be in the guide

6 Turns out to be trivial - having created the user, place the appropriate image in the "right place" in that user's tree ... I forget the right place but I can check tonight.

-- deadbug

-3 apply MUI to add Finnish & Turkish

-4 create user F, language = Finnish

-5 create user T, language = Turkish

This page tells you how to handle MUI: http://unattended.msfn.org/unattended.xp/view/web/82

I assume you extract once for Turkish and once for Finnish and do both in cmdlines.txt.

The unattended guide already handles adding users: http://unattended.msfn.org/unattended.xp/view/web/27/

EDIT:

Just noticed that MS have a page about this too: http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/referen...nattended2.mspx

Edited by deadbug

thats right, the MUI is MSI. setuk kinda dealio, where you just select the agreement of terms, then select wich languages are added, unpack face, complete.

After its done, youll go to the nationality / regionality /language selection, where is added laguages selectable, that forces log-out, and settings are made to bring corresponding interface for that user.

The thing is, i must use MUI, because there is no turkish XP3 (or slipstreamed sp1-2)

See, its a little more difficult, as its 2 part mission, first to install more stuff on windows root, then setup users to use it.

See, its a little more difficult, as its 2 part mission, first to install more stuff on windows root, then setup users to use it.

It turns out that we have an XP MUI DVD so I've borrowed it.

I tried out an Italian/Finnish/Turkish MUI silent install (I thought I ought to have at least one language I understand in there!).

It's not all there yet, but here is where I am in case someone else wants to chip in (I'm not likely to play with this again until next week).

I create a root for my AIO: \AIO-MUI.

In there I place the windows CD in \SETUP\XP\Pro\SP3 ... I happen to have SP3 available but if you don't you need to slipstream SP3 into that directory.

(I'm using a cut-down multiboot structure here because it's easiest for me ... you should probably stick to however you are already building your unattended DVD).

In $OEM$\cmdlines.txt I have:

[COMMANDS]
"%systemdrive%\mui\muisetup.exe /i 0410 040b 041f /r /s"
"useraccounts.cmd"

In $OEM$\useraccounts.cmd I have:

net user Italiano italiano /add
net user Finnish finnish /add
net user Turkish turkish /add
net accounts /maxpwage:unlimited
EXIT

In $OEM$\$1\MUI I have a copy of everything at the top level of CD1 from the MUI DVD (I think the files from all 5 CDs are the same). I also have the directories for the languages I chose: IT.MUI, FI.MUI and TR.MUI:

05/02/2009  20:39    <DIR>          .
05/02/2009 20:39 <DIR> ..
20/09/2001 12:00 3,661 EULA.TXT
05/02/2009 19:37 <DIR> FI.MUI
05/02/2009 19:36 <DIR> IT.MUI
20/09/2001 12:00 17,374 MUI.INF
20/09/2001 12:00 206,952 MUIQFE.EXE
20/09/2001 12:00 490 MUIQFE.INF
20/09/2001 12:00 84,992 MUISETUP.EXE
20/09/2001 12:00 17,023 MUISETUP.HLP
20/09/2001 12:00 14,560 README.TXT
20/09/2001 12:00 15,392 RELNOTES.TXT
05/02/2009 19:37 <DIR> TR.MUI
8 File(s) 360,444 bytes
5 Dir(s) 109,731,352,576 bytes free

Right now the accounts get created, as expected, but the MUI install doesn't happen (although it does get copied to %systemdrive%). I've never used cmdlines.txt before, so maybe someone can point out what I'm doing wrong before I have to go and work it out for myself.

Once that minor detail is sorted out, all that is left is to set each user to use the appropriate language. I can imagine that it is easy enough to achieve using AutoIt or similar but it should be possible to do it via the registry and maybe some file hackery.

BTW: Each language pack is about 90MB, and the final .ISO was over 900MB. So, even allowing for 90MB of Italian stuff you don't want, that's still 800-850MB total size. If you expect to fit this on a CD you'll need to slim down the XP source using nLite. (Although given that DVD-Rs are so cheap, I'm not sure that this is worth the effort!)

-- deadbug

A quick update. I managed to get MUI to silently install.

I changed cmdlines.txt to this:

[COMMANDS]
".\mui\muisetup.exe /i 0410 040b 041f /r /s"
"useraccounts.cmd"

and moved MUI to $OEM$\MUI.

So basically MUI now installs straight off the CD/DVD.

I don't know why it didn't work installing from %systemdrive% via cmdlines.txt, maybe it's copied too late or something? Anyway, at least it saves worrying about having to clean up %systemdrive%\MUI.

As for pictures, you can add to the set of default pictures by putting suitable pictures in

$OEM$\$Docs\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\User Account Pictures\Default Pictures.

This definitely works and I've been doing it for a while.

If you have, for example, an account called "Italiano", then you'll find its picture in

Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\User Account Pictures\Italiano.bmp.

So maybe if you copy an appropriate picture there via $OEM$ that might just work?

Anyway, some progress at least. The only thing left that I can think of now is how to select the required language without having to do it manually.

-- deadbug

BTW: Each language pack is about 90MB, and the final .ISO was over 900MB. So, even allowing for 90MB of Italian stuff you don't want, that's still 800-850MB total size. If you expect to fit this on a CD you'll need to slim down the XP source using nLite. (Although given that DVD-Rs are so cheap, I'm not sure that this is worth the effort!)

-- deadbug

Thanx deadbug, however as im also installing MS office 2007 with finnish install (but not with the turkish, as i dont have urkish MS office 2007 (actually thats better, as it would reguire second 90 300-600 megs)), it requires 300-600 megs by itself, so were going for full dvd from the beginning.

But im not getting 1 more point in this: your explaining how to make all the users at 1 go, (option 3 works this way best) but if i wanted to make selection at beginning, wich would determine wich diffirent commandlines to be used? (thus enabling the procedure where only finnish or turkish is used?

remember that i got users who only uses tûrche, those that are finnish and those turkish people who have married to finnish people (or have kids that are finnish/turkish)

The MUI cd:s have diffirent languages, but they actually do have similar install files, only the .mui files change, thus you can make your won mui install cd (or run it off from the usb stick) just adding folder to same installation executable folder, thats no problem here. Appearently the install determines from the inner folders wich packages are installable to the system.

you have been loads of help thusfar... well get this sucker up soon...

Is there any options how to make selection at or AFT install section? So if we dont do selection on multiboot part, we could make selection at wery first parts, right after the windows files are installed?

and dont worry about cleaning up, these are installed several times a year, because these guys dont know how to clean up theyr 60gig worth hdd´s, so were cutting short by reinstalling couple of times a year. I dont get that even if i install firewalls and antivirus/misc scanners, they still get theyr computers so fooked up that it needs reinstall. Do i need to apply adult filtering to theyr computers nowon to prevent em going to sites suchs a** snuff-fx sites?

Edited by JHawx

Before I forget, you can set a user's picture in the way that I suggested (via a file in the $OEM$ tree) but it has to be a .BMP file.

But im not getting 1 more point in this: your explaining how to make all the users at 1 go, (option 3 works this way best) but if i wanted to make selection at beginning, wich would determine wich diffirent commandlines to be used? (thus enabling the procedure where only finnish or turkish is used?

remember that i got users who only uses tûrche, those that are finnish and those turkish people who have married to finnish people (or have kids that are finnish/turkish)

If you are OK with building multiboot DVDs then this is easy.

In copy \SETUP\XP\Pro\SP3 to \SETUP\XP\Pro\Finnish and \SETUP\XP\Pro\Turkish. Copy the boot folder twice and patch things as required by flyakite's method and do the same with boot sectors.

In the $OEM$ tree under ...\Finnish, change the useraccounts.cmd to do just a Finnish account.

Make the corresponding change under ...\Turkish.

Leave SP3 doing both.

You'll also have to add some additional options to your boot menu. If you use ISOLINUX (as I do) or CDSHELL (as I used to) then you just need to modify the appropriate text file. If you use EasyBoot or something else, then I've no idea, although I presume it must be possible.

Is there any options how to make selection at or AFT install section? So if we dont do selection on multiboot part, we could make selection at wery first parts, right after the windows files are installed?

You could have create an AutoIt script that runs on first boot and asks which accounts to keep.

But, to be honest, if you don't choose at installation time (using a multiboot approach) then you can just as easily always install both and then simply delete one before handing the machine over!

-- deadbug

• 3 weeks later...

I may have found the solution to this problem, but:

Im not sure if you can run the MUI from the FIN localed winXP sp3. been trying to google it, but no results. So ill ask if you used the MUI on french locale to begin with?

I may have found the solution to this problem, but:

Im not sure if you can run the MUI from the FIN localed winXP sp3. been trying to google it, but no results. So ill ask if you used the MUI on french locale to begin with?

I used the english (ENU) retail Windows XP Pro as my starting point and then just threw in the three languages.

I think that I've read that you can only do MUI on top of the english distribution anyway ...

Thats what i was afraid of, however 1 thin baffles me.

Howcome theres and option to remove locale files on the install setup to get more space? This means there is a possibility to install another languages while installing the winxp sp ???

Also i have seen some of the installation discs wich has like 16 diffirent language setups, but never understood how they worked. Does those just ghost the certain image to the hdd and just use hidden partition to add those ? (laptops and business cpu´s)