What else can I remove

Richard Arkless

Hello I want to create a really lite version of XP for a 192mb RAM PC that has been gathering dust and decided to sacrifice it to my brother and sister

The problem is ive got stuck now and dunno what else to remove. The computer has a floppy, CD and DVD disk drive, printer, Wireless card (USB) and a modem which is connected through a PCI card oh and another hard drive for extra storage

The computer will only be used for internet browsing (Kmeleon or opera), work stuff (microsoft office 2000), msn (will be using a third party application as I think windows live messenger is too bloated), and will have two accounts (one admin and a limited account) and wont have an antivirus or firewall

This is what I got left oh and I will be keeping calculator and paint

Thanks in advance

Richard

PS forgive my spelling mistakes in the text file, was rushing

Components_kept.txt

Edited by Richard Arkless

What _I_ would remove for such a PC (not only for space saving):

Unconditionally:

ATM Support

Windows Sounds (_I_ don't use them)

Logon Notifications

Kerberos Key Distribution Center

SNMP

Depending on hardware/needs:

All "Controllers" in hardware that are not physically present

IEEE 1284.4 devices (Dot4) if not present

Multi-port serial adapters if not present

Sony Memory Stick

Teletext codec

USB Audio Support

USB Vidio capture devices

File system filter manager (most often used for antivirus, ProcMon)

Web View if not needed

I forgot what exactly was Internet Authenication :blushing:

And _I_ would try to get away with removing NLA and companions and still have Internet working, but it's very difficult...

GL

What _I_ would remove for such a PC (not only for space saving):

Unconditionally:

ATM Support

Windows Sounds (_I_ don't use them)

Logon Notifications

Kerberos Key Distribution Center

SNMP

Depending on hardware/needs:

All "Controllers" in hardware that are not physically present

IEEE 1284.4 devices (Dot4) if not present

Multi-port serial adapters if not present

Sony Memory Stick

Teletext codec

USB Audio Support

USB Vidio capture devices

File system filter manager (most often used for antivirus, ProcMon)

Web View if not needed

I forgot what exactly was Internet Authenication :blushing:

And _I_ would try to get away with removing NLA and companions and still have Internet working, but it's very difficult...

GL

Thanks for the help will remove some of these things that you suggested and see if I still got much of the stuff I need, question would open office be lighter than 2000 or 2003

so a no no on open office and office 2003

thanks

oh and will VLC Player be a good and light replacement for windows media player, I want one which will be able to play some of the most popular media formats e.g. divx, mp3, avi, etc

oh and what internet browser will be the lightest, I was thinking on either opera (30mb RAM) or kmeleon (18mb RAM), is there one which is lighter than that

another question it says under SNMP that it is needed for printers, is this true

and what does logon notifications do exactly

EDIT: the thread has gone very quiet now, thanks to everyone for helping and please post if you got anymore suggestions on what else to remove

Thanks again

Richard

SNMP is needed for some printers, not all (I think so, not 100 % sure). I think it's for networked (TCPIP) printers. And maybe some install both drivers (as in all-in-one driver) and complain it isn't present, although they would have worked without? Not totally sure about this, but I know _I_ (yeah, that again :whistle: ) have installed a printer with SNMP removed. Maybe I got lucky. You might end up needing it.

Logon notifications - I have removed them without problems on every machine I've encountered. (I am guessing again) if you're a single user, (or multiple users on a machine, but don't use Fast User Switching) and don't join domain (Active Directory), you would have no problems. What do they do exactly? Notify individual windows components that a logon/logoff occurred. Third party programs don't use them. I've seen only ATI driver use it, and it had better not, it created so many problems (hangs). :realmad: So removing it was a fix. :thumbup

VLC is good, can replace WMP and doesn't depend on any external components, which means can't break easily (except from itself :sneaky: )

_I_ (now this is getting ridiculous, I don't have such big ego) personally use Opera out of habit, not because it's light or anything (it is, but I haven't compared). It's really good, can do everything I need...

GL

*EDIT : About Office - I haven't used OO so wouldn't know, but I see it's growing, so might have reached Microsoft Office in size (hard to do, but possible).

Office 2000 will be lighter than 2003. Make sure to download and use the Office Customize Wizard (Office Resource Kit) from Microsoft which is kinda like nLite for office. And in any case, select a custom install during installation and deselect everything you don't need (some things are hidden and you need ORK).

GL

Edited by GrofLuigi

SNMP is needed for some printers, not all (I think so, not 100 % sure). I think it's for networked (TCPIP) printers. And maybe some install both drivers (as in all-in-one driver) and complain it isn't present, although they would have worked without? Not totally sure about this, but I know _I_ (yeah, that again :whistle: ) have installed a printer with SNMP removed. Maybe I got lucky. You might end up needing it.

Logon notifications - I have removed them without problems on every machine I've encountered. (I am guessing again) if you're a single user, (or multiple users on a machine, but don't use Fast User Switching) and don't join domain (Active Directory), you would have no problems. What do they do exactly? Notify individual windows components that a logon/logoff occurred. Third party programs don't use them. I've seen only ATI driver use it, and it had better not, it created so many problems (hangs). :realmad: So removing it was a fix. :thumbup

VLC is good, can replace WMP and doesn't depend on any external components, which means can't break easily (except from itself :sneaky: )

_I_ (now this is getting ridiculous, I don't have such big ego) personally use Opera out of habit, not because it's light or anything (it is, but I haven't compared). It's really good, can do everything I need...

GL

*EDIT : About Office - I haven't used OO so wouldn't know, but I see it's growing, so might have reached Microsoft Office in size (hard to do, but possible).

Office 2000 will be lighter than 2003. Make sure to download and use the Office Customize Wizard (Office Resource Kit) from Microsoft which is kinda like nLite for office. And in any case, select a custom install during installation and deselect everything you don't need (some things are hidden and you need ORK).

GL

ok thanks for helping

did u manage to find out if Internet authenication ?

Edit: checked Microsoft FAQ's on the service and it says

IAS is the Windows implementation of a Remote Authentication Dial-In User Service (RADIUS) server and proxy in Windows Server 2003

so is it needed as im using xp

ok thanks for helping

IAS is the Windows implementation of a Remote Authentication Dial-In User Service (RADIUS) server and proxy in Windows Server 2003

As you see, it's for Dial-In as in incoming. I've removed it with no ill effects for home usage (various types of simple networks, various types of ISP internet access, wireless). I think it might be needed for VPN or similar.

GL

ok thanks for helping

As you see, it's for Dial-In as in incoming. I've removed it with no ill effects for home usage (various types of simple networks, various types of ISP internet access, wireless). I think it might be needed for VPN or similar.

GL

Ok, Ive think ive almost finished with removing components from xp and runs very fast on 192mb RAM (10 seconds boot to a full desktop and is using 45mb RAM)

Im now tweaking it now

know of any good sites?

oh and Im thinking of putting windows on one drive and the user profiles on another, will it be faster compared to if it was all on one drive?

Im now tweaking it now

know of any good sites?

oh and Im thinking of putting windows on one drive and the user profiles on another, will it be faster compared to if it was all on one drive?

1. Right here in the forums there are some good topics.

2. Only if it's another drive, not partition, but not by much.

Removing File System Filter Manager will cause AVG to not run on your system. It won't even install. God knows what else it conflicts...

Yes, that's true. Almost all anti-virus products use File System Filter Manager.

GL