Installing 98SE in Virtual PC 07 SOLVED

helpdesk98

Solved Thanks Guys

original Post:

I am planing on installing 98SE on Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 My friend has given me his 98SE cd (I am currently using 98FE). I have created a 98SE Boot Floppy, but I have never had to install windows using it! When I insert my 98 FE disk it automatically allows me to boot to CD SETUP but 98SE dose not (im assuming that means I ether have a bad disk or have to use the floppy). I am ether looking for a 98SE setup totural or some one who can explain it to me thanks Im so excited can't wait to start using 98 SE!!!

Edited by helpdesk98

Either you haven't linked the physical CD-ROM into the VM (do that and reboot the VM), or you need a boot floppy (i.e. the disk is an upgrade), and you need to link the floppy drive to the VM when you use it and reboot the VM.

Hope that helps.

OK I have a new issue i have just learned he gave me a Spanish copy i have been guessing at what is telling me but im clueless but i am gessing that the picture below is saying something bad? any help...

78016356fg9.th.jpg

Edited by helpdesk98

that is what i figured im going to hop on my ebay account and just get an english copy of 98SE

For when I do get my I want the Virtual PC to have the followinng Setings

1.) 98SE Boot Floppy

2.) 98SE CD Rom

Then I want to boot into MSDOS

and enter in the following to setup 98:

"E:" (my cd drive)

cd win98

setup.exe

(I think that is what I want not great with dos lol)

OK coupla things you are missing:

#1 boot and when you get to a:\ type in fdisk

#2 check and delete all partitions on the drive, then make a new base partition and set it as an "Active" partition.

#3 reboot

#4 type format c: (Whatever your actual drive letter is.)

#5 then you type "cd e:" (this changes your dir to the cd drive.)

#6 type setup...

Here is an ebay link to a 15 dollar 98 setup disk and boot disk sealed...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Windows-98SE-with-Boot...A1%7C240%3A1318

Just search ebay for "Windows 98se" there are tons of them...

Edited by Kelsenellenelvian

think i found out why it freezes I had one of my friends read another message I got when I tried to run it off of 95 he said something about this cd not being an upgrade cd I tried formating the drive but still nothing so I will wait for my CD to arrive within the next week or so :)

Are you booting off of the CD or are you booting off of a floppy disk image?

Floppy disk images shouldn't even know what type of CD it is. I'd link you to a website with working 98SE floppy boot disks, but I'm not sure if that's against the rules. Better safe than sorry.

Are you booting off of the CD or are you booting off of a floppy disk image?

Floppy disk images shouldn't even know what type of CD it is. I'd link you to a website with working 98SE floppy boot disks, but I'm not sure if that's against the rules. Better safe than sorry.

I start with the floppy boot I have already ran Fdisk then I set partition 1 to active then I changed to the cd drive from the floppy and booted setup.exe from the cd it started I got into the main setup page It said I had to get the upgrade cd. Not sure what elce to do its a blank 8gig HD formated in Fat

It's probably an OEM CD - those don't (directly) allow a partition to be FDISk'ed then Formatted (FORMAT x: /S). It will show as a System already being on the partition and will disallow installation. You must have also formatted...

Either -

1 - boot from floppy and Fdisk/Delete the partition, reboot and then install or

2 - boot from floppy and "Format x: /Q" to remove system files and then install

HTH

I will give it a try later tonight when I get home

*UPDATE*

I was using the wrong boot floppy

I am no longer doing it in Virtual PC (setup freezes)

Only got 1 problem the hard drive i am trying to use has 1bad cluster & for some odd resion it thinks im using NTFS not sure why yet (i have formatted several times with Fdisk & Parted Magic Linux to FAT :S ) but I think if I get a different HD I can get it going :-)

*UPDATE of the last update*

I did it the site were I got the floppy boot disk was bad FDISK.exe was corrupt and could not format the drive correctly so I used my 98SE disk to format the drive then I exited setup Put the floppy in my PC and the 98SE cd booted to setup no errors it work on virtual pc and a real tower! thanks guys.

Edited by helpdesk98