[Release] Notepad2 4.0.22.5/Modified (32/64-bit)

code65536

Why Notepad2?

Florian Balmer's Notepad2 is, in my opinion, the best text editor. Ever. All the text editors that I have tried (and I have tried a lot of them!) are either fully-featured but slow and bloated, or fast and lean but useless. Notepad2 is the best of both worlds: it is fast and lean (even on an antiquated 8-year-old laptop, it starts up as quickly as Windows Notepad!) and it has a ton of useful features. It is the ultimate Notepad replacement.

Why this version of Notepad2?

This is not the official Notepad2 build. Instead, this is a modified build of Notepad2. This version has the same speed and small footprint as the official version, and it has some extra features:

• Code folding (screenshots: 1, 2)
  • Pristine, hassle-free replacement of Windows Notepad: this will replace Windows Notepad without overwriting any system files, which means that this will not run into problems with Windows File Protection, and the replacement can be undone by changing just one registry key
  • Support for more formats: NFO files (it can serve as your NFO viewer!), AutoIt3, Bash, NSIS, Inno, and LaTeX
  • Native x86-64 support

Download the Addon (version 4.0.22.5, based on 4.0.22-beta5)

Link: Download

MD5: 72336b7a169d4f3758cdb9d4cd2b26b8

Size: 0.24 MiB

μArch: x86-32 (do not use on 64-bit systems)

Languages: en

MD5: 98325f33b036932e60ef4858f4f7f571

Size: 0.30 MiB

μArch: x86-64

Download the Addon (version 3.1.21.7, based on 3.1.21-final)

MD5: f87529c3b353d8d369c6c23ad02771ac

Size: 0.24 MiB

μArch: x86-32 (do not use on 64-bit systems)

MD5: d8217e96882347aa065ea3e9ca574fc8

Size: 0.30 MiB

μArch: x86-64

Note: This addon is compatible with both the RVM Integrator and with nLite.

Edited by code65536

Guest XhmikosR

Another great release. :yes:

Notepad2 is a very handy tool and now that an uninstaller is added it has no competitor in my opinion. Notepad++ has more features but it's buggier.

Many thanks for all your hard work and of course Florian Balmer for creating Notepad2 to begin with! :)

Edited by XhmikosR

• 4 weeks later...

New version: 3.1.21.3 (based on 3.1.21-rc2)

2009-02-24 (3.1.21.3)

• Updated Notepad2 to 3.1.21-rc2
  • Updated Scintilla to CVS_20090223 to pick up various fixes
  • A number of patches have been incorporated upstream in either 3.1.21-rc2 or the Scintilla trunk and have thus been retired; these include:
    • the x64 compatibility patch
    • support for /A and /W
    • fixes for the Inno lexer
    • angle brackets as quotes for #include

[*]Added support for highlighting "!" lines in diff files

[*]Various other minor changes

The major changes in this version are upstream: updating the base Scintilla version to the latest CVS pull and the base NP2 version to rc2 (although it's "rc", Florian made some nice changes, including the very useful splitting of the Find button into Find Next and Find Prev).

Update: Florian just released RC3, which disables a new behavior introduced in RC2. This new behavior in RC2 caused problems for people who use Notepad2 as a Notepad replacement. I noticed this problem during testing, and my 3.1.21.3 build already addresses this problem if you replaced Notepad using my registry-based replacement method (which is what you get if you use my installer). So unless someone uses the old clobber-the-old-file method, the fix in RC3 is effectively already in 3.1.21.3. As a result, I plan on skipping RC3 (since this is the only change that was made in RC2->RC3). However, if there is demand for it, I can spin a 3.1.21.4 to pick up this change... (basically, does anyone use a method of Notepad replacement other than the registry-based one that my installer uses?)

Edited by code65536

New version: 3.1.21.4 (based on 3.1.21-rc3)

2009-03-02 (3.1.21.4)

• Updated Notepad2 to 3.1.21-rc3
  • Updated Scintilla to CVS_20090302
  • Shebang sniffing now happens after checking for extensions (in addition to before) so that extensionless Unix scripts can be auto-detected; this restores the extension-agnostic shebang auto-detection that was inadvertently lost in the transition to 3.1.21.*

Well, I guess I ended up doing a build based on RC3 after all. If you work with Unix-style scripts, then you'll want to update to 3.1.21.4 because this version contains a fix for a regression of the content auto-detection used for extensionless Unix-style scripts (though the fact that nobody noticed this feature broke in the 3.1.21.* versions suggests that this is probably not a problem for most of you), and this version also contains the latest Scintilla, which includes a couple of very minor upstream fixes for the Perl and Bash lexers.

cool, but it's not silent anymore... when you click on the exe, it prompt the license stuff... :}

Use the /quiet switch. If you look at the addon's .ini file, you'll see the /quiet switch; I also mentioned this on my page and in the 3.1.21.2 changelog. There wasn't any point in continuing to support a fully-silent installer when the regular installer can be made silent with just a switch.

(The automated build process still generates a fully silent installer and that installer is still being posted on my site if you want to grab it by manually playing with the URL, but I no longer test/verify/support it.)

New version: 3.1.21.5 (based on 3.1.21-rc4)

2009-03-10 (3.1.21.5)

• Updated Notepad2 to 3.1.21-rc4
  • Updated Scintilla to CVS_20090310
  • These patches have been incorporated upstream and have thus been retired:
    • np2-3.1.21-colors.patch
    • np2-3.1.21-extra_exts.patch
    • np2-3.1.21-shebang_resniff.patch

[*]Saving Notepad2 settings to an ini file in a location that does not yet exist will no longer fail

[*]Disabled parts of the Scintilla Apache config lexer that were too buggy and/or unreliable

• 2 weeks later...
New version: 3.1.21.5 (based on 3.1.21-rc4)
2009-03-10 (3.1.21.5)

• Updated Notepad2 to 3.1.21-rc4
  • Updated Scintilla to CVS_20090310
    • np2-3.1.21-colors.patch
    • np2-3.1.21-extra_exts.patch
    • np2-3.1.21-shebang_resniff.patch

[*]Saving Notepad2 settings to an ini file in a location that does not yet exist will no longer fail

[*]Disabled parts of the Scintilla Apache config lexer that were too buggy and/or unreliable

Uhm...you mean RC4 since Florian has not released an RC5 yet. ;)

Uhm...you mean RC4 since Florian has not released an RC5 yet. ;)

Erm, you should read the post and the changelog more carefully, since it is clearly specified that it is based on RC4. You will also notice that all "official" builds by Florian use only a 3-digit version scheme; the 4th digit is omitted (and always 0). The custom builds make use of this 4th unused digit to differentiate between iterations and are unrelated to the RC numbers. Version 3.1.21.5 should thus be read as "the 5th custom build to be based on the 3.1.21 code base"; the version number itself has nothing to do with and is unrelated to RC. Please refer to the full changelog for more details about what is actually in each build.

Edited by code65536

• 4 weeks later...
can i patch the german version of np2 as well?

Since the maker of that German build does not provide the source code (these are source patches), your only option is to extract the string table resource from the German build (you must un-UPX it first) and manually replace the string table in the patched English build. You must also match the versions when you do this (e.g., the strings from the 3.0.20 German version can only be used in the 3.0.20 English version).

• 2 months later...
2009-06-22 (3.1.21.6)

• Updated Notepad2 to 3.1.21
  • Updated Scintilla to CVS_20090622
    • np2-3.1.21-ini_create_path.patch
    • np2-3.1.21-disable_apache_conf.patch

[*]Improved the code folding patch

• Added a new command (accessible via menu, toolbar, or keyboard shortcut) to toggle all fold points
    • When searching text, finding a result within a folded section will now cause that section to unfold
    • When code folding is disabled, all fold points will unfold

[*]For users who use Notepad2 as a "soft" Notepad replacement (the default if my installer is used), the Notepad2 jump list in Windows 7 will now populate correctly

[*]Changed the icon to make Notepad2 more distinguishable from Notepad; the new icon is a mirror image of the NT6.x Notepad icon, so that on NT5.x, users can distinguish the two through the style, and on NT6.x, users can distinguish the two through the directional orientation of the icon

[*]The comment character used for toggling comments in Apache conf files has been changed from ";" to "#"

2009-06-26 (4.0.22.1)

• Updated Notepad2 to 4.0.22-beta1 (see the official Notepad2 changelog for what's new in 4.0.22-beta1)
  • Updated Scintilla to CVS_20090626
  • Improvements to the code folding patch
    • Ctrl-clicking a fold point will also fold/unfold all descendent fold points
    • Shift-clicking a fold point will also fold/unfold all sibling fold points
    • The new Ctrl and Shift modifiers can be combined to fold/unfold all sibling fold points and their descendants; this is equivalent to folding/unfolding all descendent fold points of the parent fold point
    • A double-click in the fold margin on a non-fold point within a fold is now equivalent to clicking on the parent fold point; this can also be combined with the Ctrl and/or Shift modifiers
    • Code folding is now enabled by default

[*]Some patches have been incorporated upstream and have thus been retired

2009-06-25 (3.1.21.7)

• Updated Scintilla to CVS_20090625
  • Notepad2 will now recognize a special "Default" font that will map to Consolas if it is available on the system, or Lucida Console otherwise
  • Corrected a minor error in the Ctrl+F/H focus patch

Edited by code65536