Using multiple IPs

cheshire

Hi,

So far I havn't been able to find anyone that could help me solve this problem. But you al seem like a swell bunch.

I dont know the proper language for what I'm trying to acheive, so I'll make an example and hope that makes things clear enough.

::Example::

Normally when you download something, it's using your single nic, and you're just using one IP address. (all pieces of the download will be sent to the same source IP address on your computer)

I happen to have two network cards o my computer, and I have two external IP addresses from my ISP. What I'm trying to acheive is if I'm downloading a file with 3 pieces in it. I want say, externalIP#1 to download the first piece, and at the same time I want externalIP#2 to download the second piece.

::end example::

The thought behind it at least is that the server from which I'm downloading off of, if it limits the number of connections or bandwidth allocated to a single client IP, this would bypass that restriction a little bit?

Thank you for your time and attention, I hope we can come up with an answer!

-Aaron

Since you didnt give a format here is an example of success with .torrent, though there are plenty of other formats that reassemble pieces nicely.

Programs like Azureus support multiple connections for .torrent files as referenced (many torrent clients do not). Though it was done with virtual adapters I think the concept is still the same.

http://kakku.wordpress.com/2007/11/03/comb...ltiple-uplinks/

I think what you're asking about is NIC Teaming.

Teaming is Vendor-specific and generally available for branded servers, however Broadcom and Intel both offer Teaming software for specific NICs. What I'm not sure about is whether that software will function correctly (or even install) on a non-server OS.

You may want to read a little about it here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Link_aggregation