Help me in creating a pure DOS boot CD

Messerschmitt

Hi malmal. I tried those, but they will not work.

Now

I burned this on the CD: http://forums.techpowerup.com/attachment.p...mp;d=1231880794

The message I was told I should have got is;

Par****on C:\ installed

Par****on D:\ installed

Search for USB HDD Devices...

USB support successfully initialized

NWCDEX.EXE Version 2.81 CD-ROM file handler.

Copyright © 1992, 1997 Caldera Inc. All rights reserved,

Drive E: Driver 'MSCD001' unit 0

Completed codepage prepare function

Completed codepage select function

NLSFUNC R4.00 National Language Support

Copyright © 1988,1998 Caldera, Inc. All rights reserved.

Caldera DR-DOS 7.03

Copyright © 1976, 1998 Caldera, Inc. All rights reserved.

[DR-DOS] A:\>

The message I actually got was;

Par****on C:\ installed

Search for USB HDD Devices...

USB support successfully initialized

NWCDEX.EXE Version 2.81 CD-ROM file handler.

Copyright © 1992, 1997 Caldera Inc. All rights reserved,

Driver not found 'MSCD001'

Completed codepage prepare function

Completed codepage select function

NLSFUNC R4.00 National Language Support

Copyright © 1988,1998 Caldera, Inc. All rights reserved.

Caldera DR-DOS 7.03

Copyright © 1976, 1998 Caldera, Inc. All rights reserved.

[DR-DOS] A:\>

Now the thing is on this computer it says "Driver not found 'MSCD001'", yet on my 6 year old computer, it works good, and it finds MSCD001.

The difference is that my HDD's and DVD-RW is connected via SATA cables vs my 6 year old computer which is all IDE. However, the DVD-RW is connected to a SATA port that is set as IDE in BIOS.

On this computer it goes:

"Device Name : MSCD001

No drives found, aborting installation"

On my old computer the same line goes:

"Device Name : MSCD001

Number of drives : 1"

Therefore on this computer I get the "Driver not found 'MSCD001'" while on my old computer it's "Drive G: Driver 'MSCD001' unit 0", like in

this picture.

What additional drivers do I need so I am able to boot and my SATA cable DVD-RW find this MSCD001?

Please help me, I'm starting to get nightmares. I'm trying for 3 days now to boot in BIOS so I can use ATIFlash.

EDIT: Ok, I found this which I 'think' it's my answer. Can anyone tell me how can I include this driver, not sure what to do.

Edited by Messerschmitt

Copy GCDROM.SYS to the root folder of your A:

Edit your CONFIG.SYS by adding the following lines.

DEVICE=GCDROM.SYS /D:MSCD000 /C0

DEVICE=GCDROM.SYS /D:MSCD001 /C1

DEVICE=GCDROM.SYS /D:MSCD002 /C2

Delete any other lines that refer to a CDROM driver.

Edit your AUTOEXEC.BAT by adding the following line

MSCDEX.EXE /D:MSCD000 /D:MSCD001 /D:MSCD002

Delete any other lines that refer to MSCDEX.EXE

Additionally, disks to burn BIOS should have the LEAST possible anything on them, BUT system files, the flash utilities and updated BIOS file.

You DO NOT need USB support, or CD support for burning the BIOS.

Read this:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=127593

on bootdisk.com there is a "special" CLEAN boot diskette for FLASHing BIOS purposes.

jaclaz

Copy GCDROM.SYS to the root folder of your A:

Edit your CONFIG.SYS by adding the following lines.

DEVICE=GCDROM.SYS /D:MSCD000 /C0

DEVICE=GCDROM.SYS /D:MSCD001 /C1

DEVICE=GCDROM.SYS /D:MSCD002 /C2

Delete any other lines that refer to a CDROM driver.

Edit your AUTOEXEC.BAT by adding the following line

Delete any other lines that refer to MSCDEX.EXE

Hi, I am not exactly sure what you mean by copying the root folder of A. Isn't A the floppy drive? I do not have a floppy drive, I only have C,D,E which are SATA II HDD's (1st HDD which is C and D, and 2nd HDD is E), then my DVD-RW which is F. I already have the Caldera 7.03 DOS burnt on the CD. Now, do I just do multi session with Nero and add the modified files, or erase the CD and edit the .iso to include the GCDROM?

Also in regards to files editing and what exactly to add. Do I add the hole .zip, Config.sys, autoexec.bat and the folder ide containing gcdrom.sys?

Now in regards to the editting.

The gcdrom.sys has a lot of wired characters with a few lines that makes a bit of sence. I do not see any other CDROM lines. Also, do I modifty DEVICE=GCDROM.SYS /D:MSCD002 /C2 to my DVD-RW, which is F?

This is what the file contains

˙˙˙˙ ČâGCDROM 0 € ˛ ˙˙ ˛r ˙&[------------------ same type of characters -----------------------] 44$ 66$ 100$133$166$Ź…€ (€ °( P °P

GCDROM V2.3, 8-24-2006

$Driver name is " "$SATA Native IDE controller at I-O address xxxxh/xxxxh, Chip I.D. xxxxxxxxh.

$.

VDS init error$.

/L Invalid$.

ERROR Synchronizing I-O with XDMA driver$No 80386+ CPU; GCDROM not loaded!

$Unit 0: $ device select timeout$ Identify Device error$ is not an ATAPI CD-ROM$No CD-ROM drive to use$Primary-$Secondary-$master$slave$, $, ATA- $, PIO mode$.

$

As for the autoexec.bat, how do I edit it, with notepad after I edit the .exe to something else so I can open it with notepad?

If opening with notepad, I see that it already has "MSCDEX.EXE /D:MSCD000 /D:MSCD001 /D:MSCD002"

@echo off

IF "%CONFIG%"=="NONE" GOTO NO

FINDDRIV.EXE

:NO

SMARTDRV.EXE

DOSKEY.COM

SET DISCMD=/O:GNE

SET PATH=A:\

Bios flash files are usually very small, could you not just copy them on the "A:" part of your CD and launch them from there instead ?

I am not exactly sure what you are reffering to when you say to copy them to the A: part of the CD. Once Caldera DOS starts, because it does not detect that MSCD001, you cannot do anything. The blinky just blinks and the keyboard is non-responsive.

Additionally, disks to burn BIOS should have the LEAST possible anything on them, BUT system files, the flash utilities and updated BIOS file.

You DO NOT need USB support, or CD support for burning the BIOS.

Read this:

on bootdisk.com there is a "special" CLEAN boot diskette for FLASHing BIOS purposes.

jaclaz

The CD I have only has Caldera DOS, and I need to add that gcdrom.sys driver, and then just add the ATIFlash and the images. My keyboard is USB, but alas, i'm not exactly sure what you refer as "burning the BIOS"

I do not have a diskette, I do not have a floppy disk.

Also, I did not catch the DOS time, or well, when I did I was 6. So I am really not that good with DOS.

And, if I set my SATA DVD-RW to IDE in BIOS, shouldn't it be detected as a PATA DVD-RW? I can't understand how other people who has SATA based DVD-RW uses the BIOS when they need it.

Edited by Messerschmitt

The CD I have only has Caldera DOS, and I need to add that gcdrom.sys driver, and then just add the ATIFlash and the images. My keyboard is USB, but alas, i'm not exactly sure what you refer as "burning the BIOS"

I do not have a diskette, I do not have a floppy disk.

Also, I did not catch the DOS time, or well, when I did I was 6. So I am really not that good with DOS.

Look :), the given thread is about a user that had:

• NO DOS
  • NO DOS experience
  • NO floppy disk

And he managed to flash his BIOS with the given instructions. :whistle:

You DO NOT need:

• mscdex.exe
  • gcdrom.sys
  • autoexec.bat tweaking
  • config.sys tweaking

Just forget about them, forget about the CD you have, forget about Caldera Dos, forget about multisession, forget about Nero, forget about editing .iso images, just read the thread with an open mind and follow the instructions I gave there:

Feel free to post any doubts you may have, related to the procedures there, i.e.:

• downloading a suitable floppy image
  • download and install a virtual floppy disk driver
  • expand the downloaded image
  • add to it your BIOS files
  • use IMGBURN to create a new, bootable, el-torito floppy emulation CD or .iso

I will try and help you. :)

jaclaz