XPPro + SP3 Slipstream question

b-hound

I have successfully slipstreamed SP3 with my plain old XP Pro CD.

This has worked fine.

After the install with the new CD, when I do the Automatic updates, I am still being prompted to install SP3.

I have tested this a couple of times and it seems to break a lot of the customizations I have done with nLite.

Is anyone else having the same issue?

I did a few searches and all I find are problems with the Key, mine worked just fine.

Before I install the SP3 suggested by "Automatic updates", when I look at my "System properties", I see:

Service Pack 3, v.3264

Is this correct ?

Why am I being asked to install it again ?

Any help on this would be great.

Thank you.

what are the symptoms if you manually integrate the SP into your vanilla xp pro?

"I have tested this a couple of times and it seems to break a lot of the customizations I have done with nLite."

-meaning you have tried integrating a couple of times or you have tried dloading the update a couple of times?

Its bad practice to slip service packs into a previously modified source. No one will be able to troubleshoot the broken modifications, because integrating into anything but a vanilla copy is not really supported.

what is the MD5 of the sp3 you slipped? does it differ from the MD5 of the one M$ is offering you through automatic updates?

good point... let me try to explain better, I did a bit more testing

I took the plain source files and slipstreamed SP3 downloaded from the Microsoft site

I used nlite to do some modifications and remove components

installed with no problems

modifications all worked out.

Automatic updates asked for SP3 to install (not sure of the MD5)

Here is where it gets tricky:

Scenario 1:

I did the update with all the other ones. Some of the modifications I had made broke after installing SP3

Scenario 2 (new... sorry):

I chose not to do the SP3 update but I did all of the other ones, including IE7

I didn't check to "don't notify me about these updates again" thinking I would try it later.

after a few reboots, the Automatic Update for SP3 has not come up again.

I checked "automatic updates" on the control panel and "offer updates again that I've previously hidden" was grayed out.

Maybe this means it all worked out OK and my SP3 disk is fine after all ?

Thank you again.