WSUS and Microsoft's accuracy

an3k

Two or three weeks ago i send a comment about a knowledge base article about .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 Redist to Microsoft, complaining about the missing entry in Windows Update / WSUS.

I don't know and i really don't care if Microsoft responds cause of my Comment. However, yesterday (27th) Microsoft added at least three updates to Windows Update / WSUS. Two 100% identical entries which include 2.0 SP2+Update, 3.0 SP2+Update and 3.5 SP1+Update as well as some other stuff required except Windows Installer 3.1.

Additionally, Microsoft was too lazy to update the existing .NET Framework 2.0 and 3.0 entries with the latest SP and Updates.

There is still no single 3.5 installer and no updated 2.0 or 3.0 installer.

The funny thing is, one of the three updates is replaced by the other ones, where is the intention in adding it to WSUS?? The next funny thing is, that the replacing update is added twice with a very tiny modification.

The information of both packages said that the package is availabe for at least Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP. I was confused first, which one should i allow? I checked which Computer required which of the entries.

Windows XP requires the first, 2003 the second but both are including exactly the same files, no difference. The package itself IS compatible for 2003, XP and so on but in the Windows Update DB some id*** added it twice and misconfigured it.

Until yet we don't have any problem. We can install the whole .NET via GPO or manually, even in the following scenario.

Now install a computer with Windows XP Prof. SP2 and install every update via WSUS. If you do not allow "XP SP3" WSUS will advertise the Windows Installer 3.1 package to clients. IF you allow XP SP3 (which replaces Windows Installer 3.1) WSUS does not advertise it.

Now we have a problem.

The Installation Procedure:

1) Windows Update for cab files (BITS)

2) Windows Installer 3.1 (if XP SP3 is NOT allowed)

- done -

- new scan -

3) all updates (including .NET installer) except XP SP3 and later

- error: .NET cannot be installed -

- new scan -

4) XP SP3

- done -

- new scan -

5) later updates

Thanks for adding the .NET package but WTF are you doing in Redmond? The search engine of the whole Microsoft.com website sucks as hell, you don't find what you are looking for - you have to click through the "related software" links if you are in the download center. If i have to search for something i use google with the site:microsoft.com option! Windows Live Hotmail is buggy as hell and nobody is interested in fixing that (have you ever used the Windows Live Support? LOL!). And now you are not able anymore to keep the Windows Update DB clean.