New Windows Update KB951847

Hey guys I have a question. I have a complete unattended setup of Windows XP it installs all the updates including the dot nets

After I would install this copy of windows I would go to Windows update and see 0 updates (This is as of January 13 2009)

Today (January 28 2009) I went to Windows update and my Windows update detects a 248.4 MB update called

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 and .NET Framework 3.5 Family Update (KB951847) x86

now i googled the kb article and came up with a file called dotnetfx35 which is 231.x mb so it is significantly smaller than the one on the MS site.

My question is what is this update can I just put it in my HF folder and it will do the rest (because I know that dot net is really picky and does not like to be installed via the HF folder)

What do I do with my existing .net files from my original cd?

Has anyone tried to install this update?

do you just put it in your HF folder?

I understand it is an update of all the dotnets available but it still comes up as a hotfix in windows update if you don't have this kb article installed.

anyone have any ideas?

thats not a very helpful answer.

Considering I had more than one question in my thread

but what I would like to know is if theres a way to get around this new KB thats out there?

I currently am installing a new ISO of windows

I put it in the HF folder

hfsvcpack

hfguirunonce

i will assume it has to work somewhere heh

ill report back with my findings

The KB951847 update was released Jan. 27th. It is supposed to update all of the .NET installations.

List of fixes:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/951847

Go here to download the update:

http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/sit...age=Search.aspx

I downloaded it and installed it. Works fine so far.

Edited by buttwipe

no the install works fine thats not a problem what i wanted to know is if we can integrate this in our unattended setups

so far i put it in the hfsvcpack folder (which i think is the folder that runs at t-13) it asks me to accept to install when i get to that point

i press i agree

then it crashes

i get a setup error

so putting it in hfsvcpack stock right off the download link does not work unattended

p.s.

that second link is not a direct download it just tells you to go download the hotfix on the windows update site.

Edited by anthonyaudi

Ok I would need to know something

there is a file that I have here the current file i use to install the dot nets it is called netfxaio.exe

what I did was i extracted the new update that microsoft made and i extracted the netfxaio.exe

I made the files look exactly the same so basiacally the netfxaio.exe is now the new kb951847

my only problem is that if i double click on netfxaio.exe it silently installs the files

(how would i repackage the extracted kb951847 to be a self installing file like the netfxaio.exe)

i believe if i did that it would work

also netfxaio compress is 50mb when extracted it is 250

what method is used here?

Sorry about the second link. It is to the Windows Update Catalog service web site. You have to install an ActiveX addon to get to the site. Once there, search for 'KB951847' and then download the appropriate version to suite your needs.

It is a 247MB download for XP x32. When you run it, it will stop to ask for 'approval' for the install. You can go to the root of your OS (typically c:\) and copy the folder typically labeled with a bunch, typically 15 to 20, of randon numbers and letters (Its in HEX). That is the extracted installer for the patch. I copied it to the desktop and removed any files and directories that were not related to x32. Trims it down to 86.2 MB. Leave the existing files and directories where they are. This has been tested on 4 separate computers and works. I haven't tried to add to a XP installation image.

i had tried it but i couldnt get it to work properly with hf slip

i also have the previous 7z switchless version of the dotnet installer but now the new one came out and i dont think it has been made yet by anyone

i would have to try the silent .net one to see if i can get it to work

hi guys,

does somebody know problems with this update and the AIDA software? my bro gets several problems after installing the .net update. something with the userrights.

have somebody same or similar problems?

greetz

snowfire

DON'T DO IT !!

I have Vista Bus. x32 and have my notebook set to notify me about the updates. The only update was this one

KB951847 Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 and.NET Framework 3.5 Family Update x86.

It seemed to load ok, said needs to reboot and put my notebook into an endless reboot loop to the Stage 3 installation

-- went to 99% and rebooted, started over and over and over. I let it uns an hours#%($# Microsoft. Wish they would test these things.

Now to go fix it - I am typing this on my VISTA x64 desktop.

Ok guys I'm just going to copy and paste my thread from ryanvm forums

http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=89229#89229 <-- just incase anyone wants to go directly there

ok after doing a little tinkering around i was finally able to get the new file on the first post to install

i just renamed it to what the old file used to be called and just overwrote the file

so to be clear i renamed Stimpy_JD976_DotNetFX3.5SP1_Addon_v2.1.7z to

DOTNETFX_ALL_IN_1_ADDON_V2.2

and just overwrote the old DOTNETFX_ALL_IN_1_ADDON_V2.2 with the one i renamed

now it works fine but windows update still detects the kb article 951847 as a 248mb hotfix

however

if i choose to dl it it only downloads 16.8mb

the 3 files it downloads are

NDP20SP2-KB958481-X86

NDP30SP2-KB958483-X86

NDP35SP1-KB958484-X86

my question is now how can i get those files to install during my windows installation so when I go to windows update I don't have to install them?

anyone know how to add these updates so we dont need to install them at windows update?

I am currently trying to put them in the HF folder but I don't think that will work because they are dotnet service packs which I do not think will work

anyone have any ideas?

(maybe via guirunonce ((but i dont know what switches to use to make that work properly)) can anyone give me a little direction?)

thanks!

Edited by anthonyaudi