DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER

I've bought a Maxtor STM3500320AS 500 GB harddisk last month. I've shut down pc without any problem last night. But then when i opened the PC, it was giving this error message:

I've checked the BIOS. But it didn't detect the harddisk.

So i didn't get my files. I don't want lose all of my files. :( What can i do now?

Edited by msfn00

I've bought a Maxtor STM3500320AS 500 GB harddisk last month. I've shut down pc without any problem last night. But then when i opened the PC, it was giving this error message:

So i didn't get my files. I don't want lose all of my files. :( What can i do now?

Could be a bad drive, or maybe a cable came unplugged. Try putting it in an enclosure and connecting it to another computer, to see if it finds it. Also, listen for any strange ticking noises.

Double check the hard drive connector to make sure that they are good and connected. Try cycling the power (turning off the computer and unplugging it). If you have another computer try putting it in there and seeing if it works. Otherwise you could very well be out of luck.

Oh, another idea, does the hard drive even spin up? Does it make any noises?

When i opened the PC, i was hearing some noise in harddisk. But then i've been waiting for 30 seconds(average) without any noise. And then it said that DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER on the black screen.

Buying a HDD and shutting down your PC is really poor information.

What about your setup, 1 or two HDDs, the drive being recognized or not in Bios before, been able to restart a few times etc... ?

Welcome to 50+ pages of reading ;)

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=128092

I believe your model is affected by the bug described here, but you would need to download Victoria for Windows to be sure.

G

Yes i know but BIOS doesn´t detect my harddisk anymore. How will i update it? Is it possible? Also download file is unavailable now for my harddisk.

Will i fix my problem with it?

To put it bluntly, NO. :(

Victoria may help you in determining if you are experiencing the particular problem. (i.e. help in diagnosing it)

Once you are reasonably convinced that your problem is that problem, you'll have to read what fatlip suggested and see if the procedures described there (NOT easy, NOT for the "total newbie") apply to your case.

Alternatively you may want, after having read the related threads, to contact Seagate support, things are moving on, and it is very possible they will recover your drive for free. :unsure:

jaclaz

Other possibilities include: the MBR of the drive is corrupted or missing, the bios is trying to boot from other media like usb or cdrom, the sata mode in the bios was altered.

If the drive is not detected by BIOS:

the poor MBR appears as innocent, as well as "other media" and probably :unsure: also "sata mode"....;)

jaclaz