Vista VPN client into Watchard x750e not working

Ternion

Hi everyone,

I recently got an Acer laptop with Vista Home Premium since my previous XP based Toshiba Tecra's touch stick started mysteriously tracking to the upper right and lower left (against my own and my USB mouse's wishes). I had been using the built-in VPN client in XP just fine (still having to use it through remote desktop to get dialed into work) but I can't get Vista to connect using its built-in VPN connection. I have compared the VPN settings between the XP and Vista machines and they are the same, but while the XP will connect fine, the Vista "dials", says that its doing the username and password, but then fails saying that it can't connect. The VPN endpoint is the Watchguard Firebox x750e at work and we use PPTP to connect. Others at work are able to use the built-in Vista connection just fine, but I can't get mine to work. Does anyone have any idea why? Is there a trick to get the Vista VPN connection to work?

Thanks for any help anyone can give!

Scott

Sorry, I should have mentioned my connection type. I an connecting over broadband (cable). I see an error code 691 with an event ID of 20227.

thanks, Scott

That error maps to "ERROR_AUTHENTICATION_FAILURE" in the ras api headers, so I would make sure that the settings are correct especially for auth. Also, if the device is using cert auth, make sure you've installed the client cert properly.

Vista discontued some security features. MS-CHAPv1 authentication method. Two fixes. May not like them. One turn off the security. Or Two, config the new MS chap for vista on the reciveing end. That is if the deviece can support it.