Windows 7 Beta is a NO-GO

darkon11

I've tried many configuration on Windows 7 beta with vlite. But when I try to install I always get the same message:

Windows could not collect information for [OSImage] since the specified image file [install.wim] does no exist.

Any suggestion ?

And that makes you surprised why?

It's a different OS (yet built on same code) and even a beta.

Jeez.

Strange reply.

I've heard of a lot of people installing VLited version of Win 7 beta.

As far as I can tell, simply by using vLite on Windows 7, your vLite image will be missing the file "scarddlg.dll." You cannot activate the OS nor use Windows Update without it. I tried just removing excess languages; even that hosed the activation process.

After making coasters of a half dozen dvds, I'll wait for Nuhi to update the software for Windows 7, or learn how to use WAIK.

Edited by Bilar Crais

Yes it does work up to some point for some people, but like I mentioned - don't be surprised when it doesn't as it's different OS and beta... And no support from vLite at all (well, yet).

Man, I'm NOT surprised. I just want to know if there's a workaround and what that statement (Windows could not collect...) means. JEEZ.

@ Bilar Crais, well if the dll is the problem maybe it's possible to add it to the ISO, but still there are lot of people able to install heavy vlited Win 7. I'd like to hear a word from them.

Edited by darkon11

Jeez.

I continue to be amazed at how common loserish comments seem to appear on MSFN. Where is the courtesy these days? And the fact that there are at least two threads with dozens of posts about how to vLite Windows 7 makes this kind of input even more useless, if not ignorant.

Jeez.

Strange reply.

Now to be of some help. I am one of those who've successfully vLited their Beta copy of 7 and had virtually no problems with errors. And contrary to what's been said I used Windows Update for several critical updates and experienced little or no stability issues (though I know some have been reported). Yes it's Beta software so my main gripe with the OS was on matters of compatibility. Some apps that are a regular part of my PC usage didn't work (i.e. the latest stable build of SKYPE) and so I was forced to put a stop to the fun and games and get back to business. But I look forward to Win 7 and even more so to Nuhi's work on helping us cut the fat.

In the mean time you can for sure use vLite to slim down your own Beta copy of Windows 7. Mine was the x64 version and I used Kazuni's .ini file in the thread you've linked above. It's not as heavy of an amputation as you can do with Vista (or anywhere close to nLiting XP) because the components haven't been compiled for vLite, and more importantly due to the nature of the software there are more critical components that cannot be removed. Even trivial components like the Games Explorer. In that thread some people point out some files to protect under the protection part of vLite. Protect all those files mentioned. As usual I'm too lasy to read through and port the text over to here. Sorry. :-)

It's worth reading through the lengthy thread above if you are insistent on using Windows 7 and vLiting it. And regards to activation... This shouldn't be a huge deal if your vLited 7 won't activate. I used mine for a week or more and didn't noticed a darn thing wrong with it. Where activation IS important is if you are going to be running any Microsoft Software and will be requiring an authenticity check i.e. installing WAIK on your 7-equipped machine. Of course keep in mind that the license agreement for the Beta software is only for 30 days which is why not activating wasn't a big deal for me anyway. I just wanted a test drive.

Best of luck with vLiting, though my guess is if you want a truly slim system and most of the features of Windows 7, you'll be back vLiting your Vista sooner than later. :-)

Edited by MPalmz

Jeez.

I continue to be amazed at how common loserish comments seem to appear on MSFN. Where is the courtesy these days? And the fact that there are at least two threads with dozens of posts about how to vLite Windows 7 makes this kind of input even more useless, if not ignorant.

Jeez.

Strange reply.

Now to be of some help. I am one of those who've successfully vLited their Beta copy of 7 and had virtually no problems with errors. And contrary to what's been said I used Windows Update for several critical updates and experienced little or no stability issues (though I know some have been reported). Yes it's Beta software so my main gripe with the OS was on matters of compatibility. Some apps that are a regular part of my PC usage didn't work (i.e. the latest stable build of SKYPE) and so I was forced to put a stop to the fun and games and get back to business. But I look forward to Win 7 and even more so to Nuhi's work on helping us cut the fat.

In the mean time you can for sure use vLite to slim down your own Beta copy of Windows 7. Mine was the x64 version and I used Kazuni's .ini file in the thread you've linked above. It's not as heavy of an amputation as you can do with Vista (or anywhere close to nLiting XP) because the components haven't been compiled for vLite, and more importantly due to the nature of the software there are more critical components that cannot be removed. Even trivial components like the Games Explorer. In that thread some people point out some files to protect under the protection part of vLite. Protect all those files mentioned. As usual I'm too lasy to read through and port the text over to here. Sorry. :-)

It's worth reading through the lengthy thread above if you are insistent on using Windows 7 and vLiting it. And regards to activation... This shouldn't be a huge deal if your vLited 7 won't activate. I used mine for a week or more and didn't noticed a darn thing wrong with it. Where activation IS important is if you are going to be running any Microsoft Software and will be requiring an authenticity check i.e. installing WAIK on your 7-equipped machine. Of course keep in mind that the license agreement for the Beta software is only for 30 days which is why not activating wasn't a big deal for me anyway. I just wanted a test drive.

Best of luck with vLiting, though my guess is if you want a truly slim system and most of the features of Windows 7, you'll be back vLiting your Vista sooner than later. :-)

Thanks man

I have found that the original author of the following post to be pretty much right on the money:

Here are the minimum components that you must leave in Win7:

3172704452_b4be54052f_o.jpg

Of course, you don't need to keep the Japanese language.

I would add the following: Don't remove Error Reporting, or the install will not complete....you'll get a "WER.DLL" missing notice.

Also, the scarddg.dll from Vista will work to activate Windows 7....just be sure to save a copy of it before you install Win7.

Edited by Bilar Crais