nLite'ed XP w/SP3+patches eternal reboots

Ternion

ltsnow, I don't know why Ternion does not use packs but I refrain because of loss of control. I must accept when and what someone else decides to put in a pack and trust that the pack has no errors. Enjoy, John.

Ternion, glad you are running. I specify my screen resolution and it works fine. If you are using a virtual system, sometimes the screen size and resolution gets screwed up, but it should work fine on install on real HW. What Unattended mode are you using - does not show in .ini? Try Fully Automated. I also don't understand why it is asking for a user (since you are using XP Pro). Are you specifying anything on the Users tab of Unattended? We can't see them since the info is in _u.ini and should not be posted for privacy reasons. Enjoy, John.

ltsnow, I don't know why Ternion does not use packs but I refrain because of loss of control. I must accept when and what someone else decides to put in a pack and trust that the pack has no errors. Enjoy, John.

Good point John. Ryanvm does put a lot of extra hot fixes in, but not as many as OnePiece. Xable, however, only uses the critical updates so that one might be more to your liking.

Edited by ltsnow

Hey everyone,

I haven't used any update packs because I'm a clueless newby at this nLite'ing stuff (thus I'm here askin')...LOL Sorry 'bout that. How do I get and use the update packs with nLite?

thanks, Scott

Edited by Ternion

Ternion, here are the 3 main update packs. The first is the most popular and has all critical updates plus a few good hot fixes. The second is the smallest and only has critical updates. The third is OnePiece and it is the biggest. It has IE7 and WMP11 plus updates, and all hot fixes that Microsoft has released. If I were you I would choose the first one as it is the most reputable. Of course, it gets more complicated to add IE7 and WMP11. You could just use the update pack and then go to Microsoft updates and get IE7 and WMP11 plus updates.

http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6990

http://xable.net

http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6438

Success!! I made a new nLite CD with the RyanVW update pack (the first one Itsnow mentioned) and XP SP3 and the network and video drivers for the Dell Dimension 4700 systems I'll use it for and it worked! I had selected some of the tweaks like put My Computer, My Network Places and My Documents on the desktop but they weren't there. At least when it was done, a visit to Windows Update only had a couple remaining updates (plus IE7 and a couple of updates for it). Overall it went really well. My problems before were definitely due to incorrect order of the patches. Using the RyanVM update packs solved that. Now I will go ahead and make CD's for the few other models of Dell systems we have. Its kind of a shame it can't be completely automated, but since each machine needs to use a different XP Product key, I guess I have to enter that each time. Unless there's a way to just use one Product Key to load the system, then immediately after the build somehow change the Key to the correct one for that machine. Is there a way to do that?

Anyway, thanks again to everyone's help!

Scott

P.S., attached is my final session.ini.

Last_Session.ini

Congratulations. If you're like me you'll now be hooked on nlite and will forever be tweaking. I've done it so many times that I have it down to a science now.

You can change the product key, but it's kind of a pain. Probably wouldn't save much time. Here is the low-down on doing it:

http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-...11-5034890.html

Edited by ltsnow