nLite'ed XP w/SP3+patches eternal reboots

Ternion

Hi everyone,

I'm running out of hair to pull out and need help! I have used nLite to create an XP CD using my Dell OEM Windows XP CD, the downloaded XP SP3 install and about 20 patches I downloaded from Microsoft Download. I've tried to install XP onto a couple of different Dell machines using one of the Dell OEM Windows XP w/SP2 as the base for XP as well as a slightly older XP w/SP1 Dell CD but I always end up with about the same result:

* Boot from nLite'ed XP w/SP3 + MS Patches

* Appears to install normally (a couple of the CD's I created had an error during load about "adsldp.dll" so hit "skip", but not on all attempted CDs)

* At end of apparently normal install, it reboots as expected so it can continue with Windows configuration.

* Normal Windows XP boot up screen with blue dots scrolling as usual

* Then gets a light blue screen "letterbox-like" display saying "Setup is being restarted..........." and the system restarts and we're back to the previous line above, over and over, etc

I've tried using a couple of different Dell OEM CD's and tried running nLite and burning the CD's on a couple different machines but still get the same problem. Does anyone have any idea what's going on? I've searched the forum and haven't seen anyone with this problem so I know it must work somehow.

Thanks for any help anyone can give!

Scott

Ternion, please attach (not paste) your Last Session.ini. Make sure to always start with a fresh copy of your CD files/folders, do all your work in one nLite session and integrate only one SP. Enjoy, John.

Ternion, it looks like your updates are not in order. I am running XP x64, so I don't recognize most, but the hot fix that installs IE7 should be followed by updates to IE7. The same is true for the rest. Just to get a baseline, try removing all hot fixes and installing only SP3 and see if that works. Then check out the hot fix order and put, perhaps half, back in and see if that runs. The best way to do this type of testing (and prevent many coasters) is to use a virtual system such as VirtualBox, VirtualPC or VMware Server - all free. Enjoy, John.

i've never used nlite for post sp2/3 updates, but you might find using one of the following easier

http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6990

or http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6438

or http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5687

(just use one of the above- not all 3)

edit:

using (new beta just released) http://www.siginetsoftware.com/forum/showthread.php?t=542

Edited by ccl0

Ternion, the update pack may be a good way to go. I have not used them, but I think you can just place it in the hot fix list. I looked at my updates (XP x64) and they are not in order. I use a list that Kurt_Aust maintains for x64. There is a program called Windows Update Downloader. You have some updates already DLed, so maybe you can use the list to determine the order. There are almost 50 updates in the list which seems about right to me. DL the list and extract it (I use 7-Zip), then open with notepad. The updates are in reverse order from top to bottom. Please let us know how this works out. Why don't you try the experiment I suggested to make sure you are on the right track. Walk before you run. Enjoy, John.

I just used the Ryanvm 1.03 update pack and it worked fine. I also added the NR_IE7en_Addon_2.0.4a and OnePiece_Windows_Media_Player_11_True_AddOn_v1.4.1_ENU addons and now the computer is completely updated.

Ternion, it looks like your updates are not in order. I am running XP x64, so I don't recognize most, but the hot fix that installs IE7 should be followed by updates to IE7. The same is true for the rest. Just to get a baseline, try removing all hot fixes and installing only SP3 and see if that works. Then check out the hot fix order and put, perhaps half, back in and see if that runs. The best way to do this type of testing (and prevent many coasters) is to use a virtual system such as VirtualBox, VirtualPC or VMware Server - all free. Enjoy, John.

Hey John,

Thanks! I have started a new nLite disk and am putting the patches in the order shown in the "Windows Updates Downloader" you had mentioned. I'll post here how it goes.

thanks to everyone!

Ok, I have tried a new nLite session, slip-streamed in SP3 and put in the updates I had previously downloaded in the order they are listed in the "Windows Updates Downloader". Same problem still exists. I'm wondering if one (or more) of my previously downloaded patches may be the problem. I'd like to try a new nLite using the actual patches that the "Windows Updates Downloader" program downloaded. What is the best/right way to load in the Downloader's updates? I see that it made several folders under "My Documents\Windows Updates Downloader". When I looked at the "Windows Updates Downloader" file (windows-xp-sp3-x86-enu.ulz), it looks like a bunch of XML code. Should I grep out the "KBnnnnnn...publishdate..." lines to find the patch and release date info, then import those patches one at a time into nLite?

I apologize for being so clueless on all this.

thanks again, Scott

Ternion, please try with no updates, just SP3. If you want to use WUD, just DL it and install it. Then run it and it will create a folder with the update DLs included. Please attach your latest Last Session.ini. Did you notice that the update list in the WUD list was in reverse order? Please try the SP3 first, just to be sure you have a base to work from. Here is another hot fix list that you might use. Enjoy, John.

Sorry, should have mentioned that I did successfully nLite an XP disk with SP3 only and that works great (just have 40 zillion updates to do after that...lol). Ya know, I think I inserted the patches in the order they were shown in "Windows Updates Downloader" despite you having mentioned that they are in reverse order, drat, sorry.

I think I'll try it again, but *reverse the order* of the patches.

Attached is the Last Session.ini

Hurray! It finally worked! I apparently had the patches in the wrong order (I shoulda listened to you better John). :)

Although the video resolution I had selected (1280x1024) didn't happen and it still wants to add a user with the "Who will use this computer" screen. Maybe I can get rid of those and it will be just right! It would be nice to be able to leave the Product Key blank and have it prompt me for it right at the start, but guess I can't have everything...lol

I sure appreciate the help!

thanks, Scott

I'll attach the final ini here.

Last_Session.ini

Hurray! It finally worked! I apparently had the patches in the wrong order (I shoulda listened to you better John). :)

Although the video resolution I had selected (1280x1024) didn't happen and it still wants to add a user with the "Who will use this computer" screen. Maybe I can get rid of those and it will be just right! It would be nice to be able to leave the Product Key blank and have it prompt me for it right at the start, but guess I can't have everything...lol

I sure appreciate the help!

thanks, Scott

I'll attach the final ini here.

In the future why put yourself through all that when you can simply add Xable's or Ryanvm's single update pack.