.INF files for driver integration

runLoganrun

Hi,

The way I understand it is that any driver to be integrated with vlite has to be an .INF file.

How do I obtain inf files for drivers?

Is that the complete driver package, so like w/ ati does it install ccc?

I read about a program callled driver magician, which i obtained, they said you could extract inf files with it, but i didn't see how.

Out of the 34 files found for ati driver, at least one was a inf file, is that all it wants?

I'm confused....

Thanks!

rlr

sorry for the impatience, but I'm trying to do this now.

Can someone please tell me about .inf drivers, all mine are .exe so won't integrate, I really like the idea though of being able to preload drivers so if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated.

thx,

rlr

sorry for the impatience, but I'm trying to do this now.

Can someone please tell me about .inf drivers, all mine are .exe so won't integrate, I really like the idea though of being able to preload drivers so if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated.

thx,

rlr

I can give you an example of how I integrate Nvidia drivers:

First, you'll want WHQL signed drivers. In the instance of Nvidia driver installers, they can be extracted into a folder with WinRAR. Within that folder resides the .inf necessary to integrate the drivers.

Just a tick in the box of the integrate drivers section of vlite, then navigate to the INF in question. It'll automatically integrate all of the files. It's that easy. I don't know about ATI drivers...but if you can find where the installer extracts the package, you should be able to integrate them. If there's more than one .inf, use the folder option to integrate more than one at a time.

The concept of integrating drivers was intimidating to me at first too. But with a little persistence and the use of vLite it all started to make sense. The .exe files are simply installers that put the .inf's in their proper places for Windows itself to find them. The fact is though, that it doesn't really matter where the drivers get extracted as long as windows can find them. Vista actually does a great job of finding driver files once they are pretty much anywhere on your PC.

With vLite it could not be easier to integrate these files. As has been recommended, using an extractor program to manually extract the contents of an .exe into folder (any folder that you set-up anywhere on your system) is a good start. You can add other drivers to the same folder, or create more for other types of drivers (for other devices on your system). You can also use a program like drivermax to export all the drivers that are currently being used by your hardware to their own folder as well.

Once you're in vLite and in the Integration part of the prossess, click the check-box "Enable" at the top of the Drivers section. Then rather than import a specific driver, just import multiple driver folders (each of the ones you've set aside for yourself previously). vLite will grab everything that it needs from these folders once you've imported them and you can go on to the next steps.

The concept of integrating drivers was intimidating to me at first too. But with a little persistence and the use of vLite it all started to make sense. The .exe files are simply installers that put the .inf's in their proper places for Windows itself to find them. The fact is though, that it doesn't really matter where the drivers get extracted as long as windows can find them. Vista actually does a great job of finding driver files once they are pretty much anywhere on your PC.

With vLite it could not be easier to integrate these files. As has been recommended, using an extractor program to manually extract the contents of an .exe into folder (any folder that you set-up anywhere on your system) is a good start. You can add other drivers to the same folder, or create more for other types of drivers (for other devices on your system). You can also use a program like drivermax to export all the drivers that are currently being used by your hardware to their own folder as well.

Once you're in vLite and in the Integration part of the prossess, click the check-box "Enable" at the top of the Drivers section. Then rather than import a specific driver, just import multiple driver folders (each of the ones you've set aside for yourself previously). vLite will grab everything that it needs from these folders once you've imported them and you can go on to the next steps.

awesome, thanks guys, i think this is everything i need

rlr