Strange Windows 7 startup issue

Smiley89

Well, it's not really big problem, but indeed it's strange.

It's a startup problem: the advanced "System properties" windows with "Computer name" selected shows up immediately after the login. :}

I looked into Startup folder in Start menu, I checked HKCU:Run and HKLM:Run (with CCleaner) and there's nothing related to this window.

This bug appeared after two weeks of normal use. I have no idea of what is causing this popup, nor how to disable it.

Has anyone else experienced the same problem?

I'm running 64 bit version of Windows 7 beta. The system's specifics are in my signaure.

I activated my Windows 7 Beta with the product key I requested and received on the Microsoft website.

The "System Properties" window that shows up it's this one:

popupwindowbw6.th.png

I tried changing some parameters (the workgroup name, the computer's name, etc) but nothing changed: still popping out at every login.

Edited by Smiley89

Very interesting. Honestly, I'm not sure why it would be popping up, and if autoruns doesn't show you why I'm not sure you'll find out for sure without debugging it. However, try autoruns from sysinternals to see if it pops anything up of value.

:blushing: Ok, I'll shrink my signature as soon as I write this post...

Anyway, I solved. This strange behavior was related to my pagefile settings... I set pagefile.sys on a dedicated partition some time ago, then I hid that partition with Paragon Partition Manager 8.5. But I didn't know that the hide method of PPM was removing the letter (I thought it was something similar to the tweak in Powertoys for XP), and pagefile.sys can't be put in a partition without letter... So the window apparently popped out because actually there wasn't a page file. I restored the partition and the pagefile on it, and next time I restarted the PC it didn't pop out anymore.

So I solved but I wouldn't have expected that it was the pagefile setting which was causing this... Very strange. :blink: