Banned from Seagate forums ?

I just found out that I have been banned from posting to the Seagate forums. I have posted a few rants, which I feel I had a full right to do as a very unhappy owner of two 500GB 7200.11, one of which failed in just a few weeks of normal use (and the other one might as well). At least they didn't terminate my case, which I opened a week ago (of course - no response yet). Likewise, I had no response to my e-mail I sent to discsupport@seagate.com last Saturday (BTW, that e-mail was quite nice - please, fix my drive).

As soon as I am done pulling some data off the dead one, they will be on eBay (please, bid handsomely). In the meantime, I bought an external refurb WDC 500GB for ~$80 from wdc.com outlet store with a $20 coupon (WDTHANKS) and shipping, and a 640GB WDC SE16 for another $70 from newegg. Samsung 750GB will arrive tomorrow, so I can start pulling data of the live 500GB.

Anyone else got banned? What is worse: crappy product or crappy customer support?

Edited by DeadST3500320AS

Dude, you are not the first and certainly not the last. Why do you think the Seagate trouble thread here has hit 100k views? It was just 20k not too long ago.

I was banned too for 'speaking up' too much. Doesn't really matter, to h**l with Seagate. I will never buy a single product of theirs anymore.

To answer your question:

What is worse: crappy product or crappy customer support?

A crappy product can be salvaged via excellent customer support. But no product in the world will survive crappy customer support. It's about human emotions, about understanding what the other person (aka customer) is feeling and how they can help.

I just found out that I have been banned from posting to the Seagate forums. I have posted a few rants, which I feel I had a full right to do as a very unhappy owner of two 500GB 7200.11, one of which failed in just a few weeks of normal use (and the other one might as well). At least they didn't terminate my case, which I opened a week ago (of course - no response yet). Likewise, I had no response to my e-mail I sent to discsupport@seagate.com last Saturday (BTW, that e-mail was quite nice - please, fix my drive).

As soon as I am done pulling some data off the dead one, they will be on eBay (please, bid handsomely). In the meantime, I bought an external refurb WDC 500GB for ~$80 from wdc.com outlet store with a $20 coupon (WDTHANKS) and shipping, and a 640GB WDC SE16 for another $70 from newegg. Samsung 750GB will arrive tomorrow, so I can start pulling data of the live 500GB.

Anyone else got banned? What is worse: crappy product or crappy customer support?

Edited by poolcarpet

This is what I posted a couple of days ago on Seagate forums, and I believe that they banned me from posting because of this

I think that the only way Seagate can preserve their corporate integrity and credibility as a world leader in design and manufacturing of hard drives, as well as their viability in the marketplace, is to recover customer data for free, release a fully tested firmware that resolves the issues, and demonstrate to us (the customers, who are not all idiots) that they have a full control over this situation.

If they don't do this, I think that they might become a subsidiary of Samsung or Hitachi very soon, assuming that they would be interested in salvaging another arrogant and ignorant American super-corporation, who had lost touch with their customers.

Seagate moderator - please, feel free to delete this post, as you seem to have done to many others already. Seagate must be issuing bonuses for this kind of customer service.

I didn't think I was out of line too much. Frustration over Seagate's inaction and ignorance got the best of me.

I was banned. Apparently they said I was soliciting people through "PRIVATE Messages" to come to this forum..... I could understand if I was spamming someone to go somewhere to make money. Apparently Seagate has no idea what Private means. Anyways, I only sent people messages that either contacted me, or showed interest in finding a solution.

This clearly states that they have a big problem with msfn.org, not only that they are censoring links to this site sent in private messages. read the part about:

"You're welcome to offer to PM people about your site..."

This is my site as far as I am concerned. Who gives a s*** if I didn't open my own forum(which I was going to do until it got moved here).

Nowhere in here mentions that they received complaints, etc.

Here is a transcript of my message to Alan and the reply.

Also, I lied and started posting using "piltaf" after I didn't receive a response after 48 hours. This was only because I know that my message was read shortly after I sent it. A message I left last night after seeing the new firmware bricking drives was quite comical and all the best parts were removed by mods (gee, that's a surprise). I told them that there should be at least 10 new Engineering positions open tomorrow, and to start with their VP of Engineering. Anyways, I don't remember it all, but it was all pointed at Seagate incompetence.

Alan,

I am not sure if you were the one who banned me or not, however, as a Customer of Seagate and a contributor to this forum, not to mention the top Kudoed author, I would like some answers. If not from you, whoever made the decision to ban my account.

According to my login,

We're sorry, but you have been banned from using this site.

* You have been banned for the following reason:

Continuous violation of the Seagate Community rules and regulations.

I have just went through every single post I have made on the forums, and have found ONE single message that was ever edited by a moderator. On top of that, I discussed, with you, the reason it was edited and that was fine with me. Since the shutdown of the the now infamous "Falling Down" thread, I have made a total of 3 posts, all which referenced back to your own board. None were edited by mods, commented on by mods or anything.

So specifically I would like to know:

The date I was banned.

The specific instances that constitute "Continuous violation of the Seagate Community rules and regulations" with the exception of the post mentioned above.

How does 1 edited post out of 38 constitute "Continuous"? By my dictionary this means "without cessation", which is clearly not the case.

I have the suspicion that this was probably not your call, but came from someone higher up in the food chain. I also suspect that I/we were starting to make the issues discussed in the forum a little too public for Seagate's liking.

Since I know that this account will probably get banned as well, now that you know who I am, whoever made this decision can contact me directly via e-mail at xxxx@xxxx.xx.

On a side note, I will not be posting any messages on the Seagate forum using this account. This is strictly to communicate with you.

Regards,

Greg

AKA: Fatlip

Hello fatlip:

You were banned, as far as I can tell, on 08Jan09. The reason is that it was determined that you were sending numerous PMs to other users soliciting them to go to another, third-party forum, rather than because of your public postings, in which you were reasonably compliant to our policies.

This is in violation of our rules:

Our forum is provided as a service to our users and customers and is not intended for the promotion of third party services, products, websites, or organizations. Please do not post advertisements, junk mail, spam, chain letters, charity requests, petitions for signatures or any other form of solicitation...

If a violation occurs, Seagate may remove content and restrict access to our forum.

Seagate does not generally edit content posted by participants in our forum. However, Seagate retains the right, at its sole discretion, to limit

your access to our forum and to remove material posted by you that, in Seagate's sole judgment, does not comply with our policies or that we otherwise deem to be inappropriate for our forum.

Look, there is little that I can do in this situation but convey information as I receive it and enforce the rules of this forum. I understand that I and others on the moderator team look like the badguy because we enforce the rules and look like we're trying to suppress something. I think an honest look at the posts that have remained on the forum will quickly disabuse anyone of that notion. It's just that the posts that were edited and deleted violated the rules, the rules that users must sign and agree with before they gain posting privileges.

In your case, I had specifically said this in a PM to you:

"You're welcome to offer to PM people about your site..."

I did not, however, know that the site to which you were referring users was the well-known MSFN forum thread. You did not make that clear, and I was led to believe that you had created a personal site of some kind (like fatlip.wordpress.com or something).

So anyway, we have decided that you may continue to post under piltaf, and fatlip will remain banned. Please feel free to post, and please post within the forum guidelines at all times.

If you have any questions or concerns, you may PM me or any other moderator. Publicly questioning moderation policy will not be tolerated.

Best Regards,

AlanM

Edited by fatlip

"Our forum is provided as a service to our users and customers and is not intended for the promotion of third party services, products, websites, or organizations."

I laugh hard at this. The same AlanM consider the Seagate's forum it IS NOT a consumer service! He says that on a topic there.

58273193mj7.jpg

Classic:

Edited by Gradius2

too funny!

I think I was the 3rd guy down the hole!

"Our forum is provided as a service to our users and customers and is not intended for the promotion of third party services, products, websites, or organizations."

I laugh hard at this. The same AlanM consider the Seagate's forum it IS NOT a consumer service! He says that on a topic there.

58273193mj7.jpg

Classic:

Well, if the company is officially in your country, then you can, otherwise, it will be hard.

It would be necessary to move a massive international action to win faster.

But the best alternative until now (if you recovered your datas) is just not buying any Seagate product anymore.

Btw, HDDs will start to die around 2015, when SSD will becomes cheap, bigger and good enough.

Every HDD is risky (and slow) to use due the mechanical parts.

The only advantage about HDDs is to have 10TB around ~2013, I have no idea how big SSDs will be at that time (but if they want to compete, it needs to be 2TB~4TB at least).

Edited by Gradius2

I do have a 500GB 7000.11 seagate that did not caused me problems but when I needed quite direly another HDD guess with what I went? My trusty WD (got 2 other HDD from them for my old 6 yr computer 80gb and 120gb IDE) Black Caviar 640. This little thing rocks, and it's ALOT quieter. That stupid seagate clicking sound reminded me of my aunts 586 computer, 2.1GB HDD.

Guys is there somebody here with US law knowledge dont you guys think we can sue seagate for there actions just like what happened with the Firestone tires?

I basically have 5 years of info my hard drive I cant access because of Seagate fault :realmad:

From what I understand, Seagate already has a ton of suits pending in CA. And someone posted on the HARD forums.

We do data recovery for a larger company here in Costa Rica, and they purchased 2000+ 1.5TB drives. Seagate basically told them to go pound sand. I know they have started legal proceedings against them as 2 of our technicians were summond to give depositions/testimony as to the problem they were having.

IANAL but personally I believe you have more LEGAL recourse with the reseller, or distributors that are KNOWNINGLY selling bad drives or defective products. Kind of like Wal-Mart knowingly selling Aspirn that causes you to loose your memory. Although the aspirin company is at fault, it's more substantive to go after the distributor.

SRSSA

Allen