WinXP SP2/SATA Install - "DISK BOOT FAILURE"

justdestroy

So I've successfully installed my modified XP disk with the SATA drivers providd with the motherboard. The install recognizes the drives, formats, and even copies the install files.

When it comes time to reboot and continue the installation from the hard drive, I get "SYSTEM DISK BOOT FAILURE". Anyone experienced this?

I'm stumped. As for specs; I'm using an Abit NF7-S Mobo (nf2 chipset), and a 1TB Maxtor hard drive.

Please help, ive been tearing my hair out over this. As of right now my pc is a $2,000 paperweight.

justdestroy, please see this and many more found via Google. Do you have a RAID setup? If so, did you also load the RAID text mode drivers? Please attach (not paste) your Last Session.ini. Make sure to always start with a fresh copy of your CD files/folders, do all your work in one nLite session and integrate only one SP. Enjoy, John.

I've been through the same issue with my own board (ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe) a couple of years ago and came to the conclusion that a clean first install of Windows isn't possible to a SATA drive regardless of added drivers, BIOS settings, nLite or original disk, etc.. The only way I was able to get the install to get past that reboot stage was to install directly to an IDE drive.

Over time (and with a heck of a lot of experimentation), I was able to finally get a SATA drive to accept a clean Windows install, but only if I started the install using Microsoft's own Boot disk set (a single file that, when run, creates a set of 6 floppy disks). These disks contain the exact same files as first part of the CD installation, but for whatever reason, the system was still able to 'see' the SATA drive after that first reboot. Once the files have been copied into memory and the system reboots, the rest of the install automatically references the optical drive just like it's supposed to. Note that I was not using an nLite disk that was designed for an unattended install. Mine only had SP2 slipstreamed and numerous tweaks & a multiple theme pack added. Note also that the file I used to make these boot floppies was made specifically for XP SP2 installation, just like the nLite disk I was trying to install. Microsoft also made these boot sets for the original and SP1 versions of XP.

Once this initial install was completed, I was able to easily add a second instance of WinXP (dual-boot) without using the floppies. For whatever reason, the motherboard would now recognize that SATA drive following the first reboot during the install. I am still shaking my head on why this happens.

Microsoft stopped creating these boot disk images after releasing the one for XP SP2, likely because they are trying to move us away from floppy drives, but the ones they did produce are still available from their site. If you choose to give this idea a spin to see if it'll work for your board, be sure to get them straight from the source. There are numerous knock-offs floating around the web, but I wouldn't trust most of them with my own system. The MS page that discusses them and links tot he downloadable files is below.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310994

Good luck and let us know how you make out with this.

[Edited for spelling]

Edited by GMan_PCTT

You have to install the text mode drivers AS WELL AS the windows drivers.
This advice is not easy to understand.

What are "windows drivers"? Do you mean the Windows OS in-box drivers (no need to integrate them) or a special Windows PnP driver?

Which driver for which device should additionally been integrated?

You have to install the text mode drivers AS WELL AS the windows drivers.
This advice is not easy to understand.

What are "windows drivers"? Do you mean the Windows OS in-box drivers (no need to integrate them) or a special Windows PnP driver?

Which driver for which device should additionally been integrated?

:thumbup i use only Intel_textmode_drivers_32bit_v8.2.3.1001_repacked_by_Fernando.

without any problem on various type pg M/b and laptops/notebooks