Accessing a windows Server 2003

Hi All,

I have Windows Vista 32-bit hosting VMware. VMWare has a Virtual Machine running Windows Server 2003 Enterprise. I have created a workgroup as opposed to a domain controller, and I have set a username up with the same password on both Vista and Server 2003, I have set both up with administrator rights. When logged into Server 2003, I can successfully map a drive to Vista and see the contents of my Vista Share.

Vista sees the Server Machine as it's in the network list, but when I try to browse to the server from Vista I get an error stating that I do not have the required permissions etc.

Can anybody tell me what I need to do on server 2003 to allow access from Vista.

I'm using Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit. On the Windows Server 2003 machine, I went to the 'C' drive and created a share at the root of 'C' and set it's permissions for everyone. I know in the 'real world' that would be a dangerous thing, but this is purely for my personal use to develop with. I also have all SP's/KB's installed for both operating systems.

I cannot map from Vista to the windows server machine, using Map network drive.

Edited by bill crawley

Ok,

On the Server 2003 machine: Through manage your server, I go to Manage Shared folders. In here I can see my Share name 'Server2003' with a folder path of C:\. If I go to Change shared folder properties, then go to Share permissions Tab, I have my user 'Bill' with all three Permissions ticked. If I go to the Security Tab, my user 'Bill' has All Allow checkbox's ticked.

When I go to Microsoft Windows Network I can see 'Workgroup' as my workgroup, but it does not show my Vista Machine and so I cannot Browse to the Vista machine. I can and have Mapped a network drive to Vista and can see the Vista Drive. So, the problem here is Why isn't Vista in my Workgroup.

On Vista machine: When I click on Network, The Server 2003 machine can be seen. When I click on it, I recieve the following error Error code: 0x80070035 - The network path was not found.

General: I have Windows Server 2008, and Windows Server 2003 both set up on inidividual VM's using VMware (residing on Vista host). Vista with Windows Server 2008 can communicate in both directions no problem and can see each other as I'd expect. Windows Server 2008 and Windows Server 2003 can also communicate and see each other in both directions.

I've called the Windows Server 2003 'SERVER2003' and the Share the same name. From Vista I go to map network drive, leave the default 'Z' drive and type the following: \\SERVER2003\SERVER2003 I'm logged in as user Bill when I do this.

Edited by bill crawley

Ok,

I've managed to resolve it. Here's the thing I did totally Quirky, but it worked. My Server 2003 is now communicating correctly with Vista and visa vesa, and shows in networks.

I changed nothing regarding username/password combinations or security with regard to what I'd already done.

On the Vista machine, I went to my connection and unticked IPv6 TCP/IP. This then removed all network communication with Server 2008 and even seeing the 2003 server.

I then went back and re-enabled IPv6. this time my Server 2008 came back and Server 2003 didn't show at all. I then went into IPv4 and it had assigned a Static IP. I reset this to auto. Then Voila...... Server 2003 kicked in correctly from both sides.

It was a strange one since before I started playing around adding and removing in this area, my IPv4 was set to Auto, so I can only assume that it set the address here when I removed the IPv6 reference.

Although there's no logic to this, hey it works and if anybody else hit's a similar prob, then maybe this is one to try.