7200.11 500GB killed with segates firmware upgrade - downgrade?

thanks for that mini guide!

unfortunately i have got a little bit confused.

i managed to extract the .iso fine using 7-zip and also the Bootable_1.44M.img. i cannot see any flasher .exes in the newly extracted files though. any thoughts? These are the only files i see:

Clicky (ignore the mac theme :P)

also sorry i just noticed you edited your post after i made this reply. you mention the link you posted is for the moose family? is there any way of finding out which one i need or do i have to try different ones?

.exe is inside .ZIP file from .img !

there is no .zip inside my .img file :/

or do i have to open the .img file in poweriso as well as extracting it and creating the [boot] folder? yeah that is what i had to do. can see the zip folder now in poweriso. the flasher is actually FDL462a, is that not a stable release? i know you did not mention it in your post, just seems a lot of versions away!

also i did try flashing with the one from the seagate KB site but it couldn't seem to get my drive details

for the bootable pen drive. i found a pretty good guide (considering it is pretty hard to format them if you don't have a floppy drive and are on vista!):

How to format a usb pen drive

Edited by PrOdiGy1

there is no .zip inside my .img file :/

or do i have to open the .img file in poweriso as well as extracting it and creating the [boot] folder? yeah that is what i had to do. can see the zip folder now in poweriso. the flasher is actually FDL462a, is that not a stable release? i know you did not mention it in your post, just seems a lot of versions away!

also i did try flashing with the one from the seagate KB site but it couldn't seem to get my drive details

for the bootable pen drive. i found a pretty good guide (considering it is pretty hard to format them if you don't have a floppy drive and are on vista!):

How to format a usb pen drive

As you can see: "Then open Bootable_1.44M.img file with Power ISO, or Magic ISO, or Ultra ISO, similar, and extract SD1A3D4D.ZIP file inside."

yep i managed to get that far, was just wondering what flasher you were referring to earlier in this thread though as the one in the zip for me is FDL462a and you didn't mention it. where could i find the stable ones?

the one in the official seagate firmware pack is FDL462b, but the official sd1a did not work on my drive at all. i have no idea why. any recommendations on how i should proceed?

Edited by PrOdiGy1

right scratch all that. just tried the official sd1a update again via a flash drive and the flasher told me everything went fine and to power cycle the drive. did so and yet it still shows SD15 upon the next boot :/

it should be noted that the flashing did seem too quick. only took about 5 seconds which does not seem right to me

right scratch all that. just tried the official sd1a update again via a flash drive and the flasher told me everything went fine and to power cycle the drive. did so and yet it still shows SD15 upon the next boot :/

it should be noted that the flashing did seem too quick. only took about 5 seconds which does not seem right to me

Hi there. 5 seconds sounds normal to me, it's around the same time it took for me to update mine (maybe 10 secs, but not more). Any reason you're flashing from a USB stick? Burning onto a CD is simple, quick and easy.

simply because the firmware update on cd did not work and i am just trying other things out. either way when i shut down and powercycle the computer, i am still told in the POST screen i am running SD15 and i have no idea why

Edited by PrOdiGy1

Valenciano has repaired his ST3500320AS SD15 hdd after succesive firmware updates:

In spanish: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...28906&st=20

0.- SD15 with BSY and LBA0 (0GB) problems.

1.- SD15 -> repair BSY problem with RS232 to TTL adapter.

2.- Firmware update from SD15 to SD1A to try repair LBA0 (0GB) problem (not repaired).

3.- Firmware downdate from SD1A to AD14 to try repair LBA0 (0GB) problem (not repaired).

4.- Firmware update from AD14 to SD1A to try repair LBA0 (0GB) problem (not repaired).

5.- He detects differents Seagate commands on SD1A.

6.- Firmware downdate from SD1A to AD14.

7.- Repaired 0GB problem with RS232 to TTL adapter, but appear "Disk error" because the fw AD14 is incompatible.

8.- Hard disc isn't found on windows because the fw AD14 is incompatible.

9.- Firmware update from AD14 to SD1A and ALL is OK.

You need less steps. :)

Edited by pichi