Fix Windows 7 Sidebar With UAC Off

Rudi1

I give it up. You're posting nonsense. Give me DETAILED example where the UAC dialog pops up when you do normal work (browse WWW, read emails, listen to music and so on)

You are not willing to understand and learn what NT security is. :thumbdown As I said several times before, DO THE SAME THINGS WITH A LIMITED USER UNDER XP AND TAKE A LOOK AT THE RESULT!

Edited by MagicAndre1981

UAC isnt really necessary, if you have an administrator account and a user account then you wont run into any problems for normal stuff you use the user account and installing stuff you would use admin but no one really does this. the problem is more that the user created in the setup as an admin.

also if you create an admin account you expect to be able to do everything thats where uac becomes really annoying

UAC isnt really necessary, if you have an administrator account and a user account then you wont run into any problems for normal stuff you use the user account and installing stuff you would use admin but no one really does this.

Yeah, this was the way XP should be configured, but all the n00bs don't do this. But this kind of configuration has some issues (due to runAs service).

now that's the trick inside the UAC. You have 2 accounts in 1! The normal administrator accounts have 2 security tokens (1 as limited user and 1 for doing operations with needs elevated rights). The normal user token is used when you login to Windows so you are a limited user. When you want to install applications you click the UAC prompt to have the elevated rights. This is cool :thumbup

Read about how the UAC works before posting this whole nonsense and disabling it:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/2007.06.uac.aspx

Here is a comparison of Vulnerabilities between XP and Vista

http://blogs.technet.com/security/archive/...eport-2007.aspx

26 vulnerabilities on Windows Vista are less severe for any users running as standard user.

Also using UAC means that IE7 is running in Protected Mode, so that a malicious program can't change settings and can't install itself in an autostart location. With this IE7 is a really good and safe browser!

It's always the same, people are not willing to learn new things and that's why they turn off features they DO NOT UNDERSTAND. :rolleyes:

I thought that people here are better informed and have fun with learning new things, but I was wrong. That is sad :thumbdown

but all the n00bs don't do this.

I am not a "n00b". I was writing code for my own programs when you were still in diapers. And, I do not even run that set up

now that's the trick inside the UAC. You have 2 accounts in 1! The normal administrator accounts have 2 security tokens (1 as limited user and 1 for doing operations with needs elevated rights). The normal user token is used when you login to Windows so you are a limited user. When you want to install applications you click the UAC prompt to have the elevated rights. This is cool

That is dumb, not cool. I own the pc and built it my self. I don't need to elevate anything. It is my choice and my choice should not be second guessed, every single time. Full rights, all the time. It's mine...

Also using UAC means that IE7 is running in Protected Mode, so that a malicious program can't change settings and can't install itself in an autostart location. With this IE7 is a really good and safe browser!

Irrelevant to me. I do not use IE7, I use firefox. I know it is just as vulnerable, but there are things that I can do to block things, that just do not exist in IE*. Also, when IE is being used, it is the 64-bit browser, not the default 32bit. And one more thing, all browsing is done using the program called sandboxie. All being done in a virtual machine with the VirtualMachineAddOns disabled, with the host OS being a 64-bit OS. Follow up by scanning everything on virustotal.com. No anti-virus of any kind installed on either the guest OS or host OS. Now I know this is still not 100% secure.. But, come on...

I give it up. You're posting nonsense. Give me DETAILED example where the UAC dialog pops up when you do normal work

here: In this thread even...

installing applications is a task where you mostly need elevated rights, so the UAC prompt is correct!
--annoyance. see quote below for reason.

--

I own the pc and built it my self. I don't need to elevate anything. It is my choice and my choice should not be second guessed, every single time. Full rights, all the time. It's mine...

Let's say you want to go to the store for something. But you need keys to unlock the door and to start the car. If you make this situation a uac situation, you would have to go something like this...

*Put key in door lock, twist to unlock*

You are about to unlock the door. Are you sure you wish to allow this?

"Duh.. Why else would I put my keys in the door? Stupid car..."

*Open door, sit in seat, close door, fasten seatbelt.*

You are attempting an action that involves security protocols. Are you sure you wish to allow this?

"No.. but it's the freakin' law. Now shut up already. I need a Dew.. Let's go.."

*Put key in ignition, turn to start car*

You are attempting to launch a feature that manipulates major system function, and could result in a fatal crash. Do you wish to allow this?

"JUST START THE CAR ALREADY BEFORE I KILL SOMEONE FROM CAFFEINE WITHDRAWS!!!"

This is not how people want their day to function, everyday, every year..

As I said several times before, DO THE SAME THINGS WITH A LIMITED USER UNDER XP AND TAKE A LOOK AT THE RESULT!

Why on earth would I want a limited user account.

I really don't like .... some stupid guestions like -are you shure..............

this is nonsense. This never happens!

--Again... Never happens, huh?

sorry, you play Russian roulette and one day you'll get a malicious program.
Like I stated before, I do not even run an AV software on my pc's. Last time I was infected was April 2007, and that was because I was stupid and did not inspect the file before running. PERSONAL prevention and common goes a long ways.
People like must be force to use UAC, I never understood why MS let the user the choice to completely disable it
Maybe I can help you understand. It comes down to one fundamental thing: Humans have free will. Deny a person that, and they will keep their free will, by not buying/using a product where such things are "forced" upon you. MS obviously understands this....
People like must be force to use UAC
you don't understand NT security, that's all. For normal use you NEVER need elevated rights, sorry.
Thank you for confirmation on what most pc users have been trying say.

If "NT Security" should be such a big issue, then stay on server OS's or business OS's. and let them have a hUACppy time with it. Normal users... you know.. that vast majority of the world... want their pc to do exactly what they tell them to do. It's the core of a pc... to do what you instruct it to do. That is all it can do. It is not living. It's a machine.

Edited by Yzöwl
Image removed and warning issued

Quick warning to all:

Please stop the incessant arguing, there has already been one thread closed and this is close to receiving similar action. I'm all for constructive discussion, but that can be achieved without the name calling etc.

Official warnings will be issued if the current trend continues