Fix Windows 7 Sidebar With UAC Off

Rudi1

This little trick saved me a major pain. You see, I use Everest Ultimate everyday. I have it set to launch on system startup. Now, I would not need to use this trick at all if the OnScreenDisplay worked in windows7. It does not, which leaves me the only option of using the Everest sidebar gadget. To use that, I must turn on UAC. That may seem like nothing at all to do, but, Everest uses low-lever sensor readings, and these require administrator privileges. That means even though I have the shortcut AND the .exe set with administrator privileges and full access, a propmt is still required to launch the application, because of the "allow this program to make system changes". That means, no auto launch on boot up for Everest. With this fix, I am able to use the closest thing to the OSD and not need UAC on.

Also, turning off UAC does prevent elevated token bugs.

Edited by Mt.Dew

Well, that may be, but that's a good reason (but a software design problem). UAC in general keeps the masses from doing stupid things, although in Vista it's too obtrusive. I've yet to disable it in Win7, which I guess is a win considering I am a power user like almost everyone else here, and it's not bothered me yet.

turning UAC off is stupid :angel

I really don' know why you are so negative

with reply to all my post.If you don't like it ,please ignore it.

I'am remove the reg file from my first post,perhaps

you will feel better now.

Edited by Rudi1

I dont think so, and i wonder what makes you say this.

because you don't know what NT security is and how it works. Let me make a guess, you switched from Win9x to XP? Right? And with XP you have full elevated rights and this IS Stupid! LUA is a fundamental idea in all *nix system for several years. There is no need to have elevated rights to read emails and browse the WWW. Try to start a application with needs elevated rights under Xp when you're not administrator and look at the RESULT. You'll get an Access Denied error message and under Vista/Win7 the UAC helps you to start applications in elevated rights :whistle:

MS made the Mistake with XP NOT with with Vista and the UAC.

Disabling ALWAYS means you don't understand what you are doing. You can use the taskscheduler to start application in elevated rights WITHOUT disabling the UAC and WITHOUT clicking the UAC prompt.

I dont think so, and i wonder what makes you say this.

Disabling ALWAYS means you don't understand what you are doing.

I call BS on that. I disable UAC, AND I ALWAYS understand what I am doing.

UAC is completely useless to me. But then, I know how to make sure my system never gets a program that is malicious.

Edited by Mt.Dew

I disable UAC, AND I ALWAYS understand what I am doing.

UAC is completely useless to me.

you don't understand NT security, that's all :rolleyes: For normal use you NEVER need elevated rights, sorry.

But then, I know how to make sure my system never gets a program that is malicious.

sorry, you play Russian roulette and one day you'll get a malicious program. :whistle: People like must be force to use UAC, I never understood why MS let the user the choice to completely disable it :angry:

I never understood why MS let the user the choice to completely disable it

because if they don't then will be fail again,like in vista.I hate it too!I really don't like when I'am working with my computer to answer some stupid guestions like -are you shure..............

I really don't like .... some stupid guestions like -are you shure..............

this is nonsense. This never happens!

I tell you again. Do the same things (you do under Vista where you get the UAC prompt) under XP with a limited user account and look at the RESULT!

sorry, you play Russian roulette and one day you'll get a malicious program. :whistle: People like must be force to use UAC, I never understood why MS let the user the choice to completely disable it :angry:

I have been using vista since it released, and always had UAC disabled, ans still had no malicious crap on my system. and yes i agree with Rudi1, it makes you answer stupid questions like " are you sure" etc...

IMO UAC is a stupid MS security feature, and am glad win7 provides full control over UAC. If ms removed that UAC security crap from windows 7 and replaced it with something better, then maybe i would be more than happy to use the securty feature without disabling.

Edited by shahed26