The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

I've been having problems trying to talk with my hard drive through terminal software. I've tried both PuTTY and HyperTerminal, but neither seem to work. I verified that my USB to UART adapater was working fine by doing a loopback test and it passed, but when I hook it up to the hard drive, nothing comes up when i push CTRL+z. Is it necessary to connect the ground cable from the board to the hard drive as well? Might have been my problem when I was trying it. I'm using this board btw http://alldav.com/index.php?main_page=prod...;products_id=21
You need connect GND too (pin3).

I think that the board is good.

I too am having having the same problem and pin 3 of the serial connector is TX Data. Why would one ground that pin to electrical ground of the power source??

I've been having problems trying to talk with my hard drive through terminal software. I've tried both PuTTY and HyperTerminal, but neither seem to work. I verified that my USB to UART adapater was working fine by doing a loopback test and it passed, but when I hook it up to the hard drive, nothing comes up when i push CTRL+z. Is it necessary to connect the ground cable from the board to the hard drive as well? Might have been my problem when I was trying it. I'm using this board btw http://alldav.com/index.php?main_page=prod...;products_id=21
You need connect GND too (pin3).

I think that the board is good.

I too am having having the same problem and pin 3 of the serial connector is TX Data. Why would one ground that pin to electrical ground of the power source??

ON HDD:

pin 1 (RX hdd) <--- TX Adapter

pin 2 (TX hdd) ---> RX Adapter

pin 3 (GND hdd) <---> GND Adapter

pin 4 (N.C. hdd)

ON HDD:

pin 4 (N.C. hdd)

So pin3 and 4 is where the jumper would go to limit the Seagate to SATA speed rather than SATA2 speed?? If so then one has to connector a jumper wire from the GND lead from the battery to pin3 on the jumper block??

Edited by confused999

ON HDD:

pin 4 (N.C. hdd)

So pin3 and 4 is where the jumper would go to limit the Seagate to SATA speed rather than SATA2 speed?? If so then one has to connector a jumper wire from the GND lead from the battery to pin3 on the jumper block??

Yes, you get out the jumper.

Yes, one has to connector a jumper wire from the GND lead from the battery to pin3 on the jumper block.

ON HDD:

pin 4 (N.C. hdd)

Yes, you get out the jumper.

Yes, one has to connector a jumper wire from the GND lead from the battery to pin3 on the jumper block.

Well did that and the Seagate ST3500320AS which does not normally show up in BIOS, when I do a CTL+Z in Hypertoerminal which is configured for 38400,8,1,N,N I get no response from the hard drive at all.

I then revered the TX and RX on the adapter so that the TX goes to the TX on the hdd and RX on adapter to RX on the hdd. Was able to revive the hard drive and then flash it. Thanks for the help.

Edited by confused999

Hello everybody!

Thanks Gradius2 for putting vital info on resuscitating hard-drives, your contribution is very very precious!

I'm so excited: tomorrow I'll get the necessary gear and will fix my 30-days old "locked" 1TB drive plenty of data.

This condition makes my stomach burning... I think restoring access to personal data has no price...

At Seagate they say "mine it's not affected"... it's easy to act like this... they simply offer a drive replacement...

thanks so much

I'll let you know!

Update: haven't found the serial interface on shops, ordered on eBay and waiting for the postman to come, maybe this week I'll be on the job!

Edited by Puppetnation

Hi,

Thanks for all the info but I am stuck with a problem. I have this Nokia CA-42 clone. There are 3 wires in it

Black, white and blue

Black is GND as it is mentioned on the IC. Also, i tested it through a Voltmeter and I am getting above 3.3V on both White and Blue, i.e., when connecting the Negative of Voltmeter to black and Positive to White or Blue

Then its saying connected to terminal, but i am not able to type anything in it. When trying different USB ports, i got it typing for a while but it was only momentary.

Now what to do ?

How to make it type in Terminal Window ??

Also i am not getting any random characters when i joined TX and RX or (TX + GND) or (RX + GND).

Now what to do ?

Hi Guys, I'm currently trying to repair my Seagate 1TB harddrive, and purchased a CA-42 cable off e-bay.

M/N: WACAS07

The cable when opened up has Red, Black, Green and White.

Has anyone else used this cable, the connectors are blue and the cable itself is black.

Just wondering which color is which.

Thanks Guys

I am so glad I found this forum. This evening I experienced the BSY error. IMHO I am competent enough to attempt this fix :whistle: , but I want to describe my problem to you guys before I try. Maybe if I am missing something you can warn me.

My drive is ST31000340AS bought last August.

Label claims it has the SD15 firmware.

The whole drive is encrypted using TrueCrypt.

There are three partitions.

The drive does not matter to me, I just want my data. Will the partitions and encryption cause complications for this recovery method?

One more issue. I experienced power failure this evening. On my first restart the computer worked fine for an hour and I shut down normally. On my next power up it failed and was not recognized in BIOS. I already tried the drive on my second computer and it was not recognized in BIOS. Still, my problem could be another issue not related to the BSY error.

I would appreciate any advice you could give me.

I have tried and tried to get this to work ...

when i connect everything all i get in hyperterm

is a black arrow pointing to the right ..

each time i hit ctrl z i get the blackarrow to the right

if i unhook the wire ctrl z does nothing

if i do a loopback test i get my text back ....

my story my pc was ok until the close 2 days ago after open pc windows never start and when i unpick seagate it opened as normal...

it's saying " Drive is not affected. No action required." on the https://apps1.seagate.com/rms_af_srl_chk/ but this happened and i found this forum...

i am going to find a nokia CA-42 cable and if i can i will post the result...

Edited by bloodraveb27

The black arrow is te character of the "ctrl+z" command.

It is due to loopback from TX to RX, a bad cable or the "echo" command of the hdd.

Can you see if your RX and TX wires are joined?

I am so glad I found this forum. This evening I experienced the BSY error. IMHO I am competent enough to attempt this fix :whistle: , but I want to describe my problem to you guys before I try. Maybe if I am missing something you can warn me.

My drive is ST31000340AS bought last August.

Label claims it has the SD15 firmware.

The whole drive is encrypted using TrueCrypt.

There are three partitions.

The drive does not matter to me, I just want my data. Will the partitions and encryption cause complications for this recovery method?

One more issue. I experienced power failure this evening. On my first restart the computer worked fine for an hour and I shut down normally. On my next power up it failed and was not recognized in BIOS. I already tried the drive on my second computer and it was not recognized in BIOS. Still, my problem could be another issue not related to the BSY error.

I would appreciate any advice you could give me.

Will the partitions and encryption cause complications for this recovery method?

The answer is "no complications". This recovery method normally doesn't touch the "User Data" of the hdd.

This method repair the "Service Area" of the hdd, a hidden area of the aluminium plates. This area is out of the disk capacity.

The black arrow is te character of the "ctrl+z" command.

It is due to loopback from TX to RX, a bad cable or the "echo" command of the hdd.

Can you see if your RX and TX wires are joined?

found my Problem . thanks

it was my power source for the HDD. i was using a power supply that come with me sata to usb adapter .

once i connected to a PC power supply it started working fine...

Hi

I have a Maxtor Diamondmax 22 STM3500320AS 500 Go wich seems to have the BSY error. I bought an RS232/TTL adapter that I wait for and also the other stuff. Since my english is not 100% sure, I don't want to miss something before I start to unblock the HDD. When Gradius2 says "connect the power supply to Hard drive circuit board", is it the sata power ?

Thanks