The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

@my77stang:

Yura is well known data recovery researcher, aviko works in data recovery company and posted yura's solution. The original solution was given into public domain in Polish, gradius is from Chile - do you think he understand Polish better then aviko? I don't think so. He used translator to make his 'help topic' - just for profit as we see now (gradius registerd puma34 account just to force people to pay more and discredit aviko - which is even more unfair than stealing somebody's work).

Use aviko's step-by-step solution. We know what we're talking about - we fix these drives on a daily basis.

One thing there; you seem intent on flaming the fellow who helped us here. The 1st post here was by gradius2 who detailed the items required and proceedure that I used to bring my hdd back. Where were you ? I come back here to say thanks and perhaps see if there are any people who may need some help and find half your posts flaming the one fellow who helped here. That is not very nice. Stop your war, you are too late. I am sure your friends will have enough business to fill their pockets many times over because of the issue with the seagate 7200.11 hard drives. Perhaps you could start your own thread here detailling your way of helping people, because you seem to be cluttering up the thread here. OK ? bye.

Sorry I was not clear at all. I will try again.

I have two drives ST31000340AS, lets call them A + B.

A is good and updated to firmware SD1A.

B has SD15 but cannot be seen in BIOS, hd light is constantly on.

Can I take pcb from B put it on A, flash the drive to SD1A, then put the pcb back to B.

Will this work without damage to both hardware and data?

it makes no sense,

1. update firmware is not only on pcb

2. drive A will not work with pcb from B

3. firmware update will not fix bsy and cap. 0 problem

why cant you fix drive B ?

avico,

I don't know much about hard disks, I thought I could use my unlocked drive to flash the locked firmware to unlocked firmware.

I could fix drive B but I am afraid for my data. If I don't touch the drive the data is still there even if I cannot access them now.

There is a big list of different hardware/commands/methods to use. I will wait for someone to make a program and suggest a kit to buy. If it works for many people only then I will try to bring my data back. It is too much of a risk now. For someone experienced or someone who doesn't care too much for his/her data there is no problem.

so officially, this is the best (safest) way to make it work if you have the BSY error.... right?

I've highlighted the actual commands to be typed in red.

Drive is busy example, not solution: drive ST3500320AS SD15

remove 3 screws nearest heads connector, motor connected, put something between pcb and hda to lift pcb and prevent contact.

power on, wait until drive stops motor

(ctrl+z)

F3 T>/2

F3 2>Z

Spin Down Complete

Elapsed Time 0.146 msecs

F3 2>U

Spin Up Complete

Elapsed Time 6.864 secs

this part is not necessary, use when first try fails

F3 2>/

F3 T>F712

Byte:0712: RealTimeUpdatedFlags = 00 00

Byte:0712: Bit:0, HPA_SET_BY_SETMAX = 0

Byte:0712: Bit:1, HPA_SET_BY_SETMAX_EXT = 0

Byte:0712: Bit:2, DCO_SET_ACTIVE = 0

Byte:0712: Bit:3, CONGEN_READ_FROM_MEDIA = 0 <- configuration not loaded from surface

F3 T>F,,22

Drive Configuration restored to defaults.

F3 T>F712

Byte:0712: RealTimeUpdatedFlags = 08 00

Byte:0712: Bit:3, CONGEN_READ_FROM_MEDIA = 1 <- done

(end of part to skip at first attempt)

F3 T>/1

F3 1>N1

F3 1>/

F3 T>m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22

Max Wr Retries = 00, Max Rd Retries = 00, Max ECC T-Level = 00, Max Certify Rewrite Retries = 0000

User Partition Format 5% complete, Zone 00, Pass 00, LBA 00008DED, ErrCode 00000080, Elapsed Time 0 mins 05 secs

User Partition Format Successful - Elapsed Time 0 mins 05 secs

F3 T>

(finished, power off)

if i missed anything here, please requote this and correct it. with all this gibberish it gets hard to figure out exactly what needs to be done and im terribly afraid i'll screw something up (probably alot of us like that). and if i understand everything correctly, even though it says "user partition format" it is not actually messing up partitions or data. correct?

Edited by my77stang

Drive is busy example, not solution: drive ST3500320AS SD15

remove 3 screws nearest heads connector, motor connected, put something between pcb and hda to lift pcb and prevent contact.

power on, wait until drive stops motor, if you dont wait at this moment you got 000000CE error after next command

(ctrl+z)

F3 T>/2

F3 2>Z

Spin Down Complete

Elapsed Time 0.146 msecs

remove isolation and mount pcb as normal

F3 2>U

Spin Up Complete

Elapsed Time 6.864 secs

this part is not necessary, just checking is everything ok, use when first try fails (F712 work only on 500g 7200.11 with firmware SD15, when you updated f/w just skip this part

F3 2>/

F3 T>F712

Byte:0712: RealTimeUpdatedFlags = 00 00

Byte:0712: Bit:3, CONGEN_READ_FROM_MEDIA = 0 <- configuration not loaded from surface

F3 T>F,,22

Drive Configuration restored to defaults.

F3 T>F712

Byte:0712: RealTimeUpdatedFlags = 08 00

Byte:0712: Bit:3, CONGEN_READ_FROM_MEDIA = 1 <- done

F3 T3>/1

F3 1>N1

F3 1>/

F3 T>m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22

Max Wr Retries = 00, Max Rd Retries = 00, Max ECC T-Level = 00, Max Certify Rewrite Retries = 0000

User Partition Format 5% complete, Zone 00, Pass 00, LBA 00008DED, ErrCode 00000080, Elapsed Time 0 mins 05 secs

User Partition Format Successful - Elapsed Time 0 mins 05 secs

F3 T>

(finished, power off, connect disk to pc and check your data)

fixed.

"User Partition Format" its recalculate of translator that part of disk where user have his data. If you dont erased G-list data is untouched during this.

clear enough?

Edited by aviko

I've colored the important parts in red...
please help me! :}

When start communication with Hyperterminal it starts to type random characters and my keyboard is disabled...

I have used a ca42 pin 6/7 to TX RX, is it wrong? Do I short my cable?

Tokuro, you're right too.

3.3v is already in RX/GND and TX/GND. With a little help of a volt meter you can find the ground: connecting the negative pole to the ground wire and the positive to RX or TX you will see that 3.3 voltage in the meter. Once you set up your terminal session, by typing some random chars in the terminal you'll see in the meter that voltage slighty go up or down in the TX line, the other one should stay fixed on 3.3v. With this you can find RX and TX wire too and then you're done, connect TX and RX to the HD and if you don't share a common ground (if you use your notebook for the usb plug and another PSU for powering the HD) connect the ground wire on the HD pin 2 as showed on one of my previous posts.

My cable had 6 wires and the right ones were white (GND), yellow (TX) and blue (RX) but sadly there're no standard colors.

If you don't have a volt meter, you can also do a very rough test. Set up your terminal session and slightly let touch 2 wires at once. If you see come up strange characters in your terminal window, then you have in your hands RX and GND wires. Then, type random characters in your terminal and do the same with the other wire and when you'll see what you type come back in your terminal window it just means you connected RX and TX togheter (a loopback connection!!).

Do some trial and error and don't be hurry! Good luck!

Before I chop its head off... anyone knows if this cable should work or not????

It's a CA-45 Nokia Cable. Pictures attached.

It's the same -nameless- brand i bought! The only thing is that mine was CA-42, this is CA-45. I cannot be sure, but I think the only difference is in the phone plug model, the long usb connector seems to be the same as mine. Inside it there's a chinese USB to Serial Arkmicron chip. Note that for those chips there're no Vista drivers, XP only.

You may also check on pinouts.ru website for be sure it has TX/RX/3.3v.

Well, I've just chopped it off. And it has 3 cables: Black, Red and White.

You were right: it installs as "Arkmicro USB to SERIAL" in my XP notebook.

You were also right: my vista PC won't install it. (no drivers)

You were right too: It is a long USB connector identical as the one seen in the CA-42 and DKU-5 pictures on the net.

But... are you sure I've to check if one of the 3 cables is 3.3V???? I was assuming that the 3 cables were for TX, RX and GROUND. Am I wrong???

Greets, ToKuRo.

I guess you are using RX and GROUND instead of TX. If you are SURE that you have TX and RX then you should check if your cables are not short circuiting. (<--not sure if it is the right word)

Greetings.

oh oh... I have tested my CA 42 and doesn't have 3,3V in TX or RX! :realmad: :realmad: :realmad: :realmad: :realmad:

Hi again,

Now i've tried the loopback test so my setup is correct.

I dont get any response from the terminal, I dont get "F3 T>", but i can type..

I placed a paper card between the motor connector and the harddiskmainboard like in post #1, attached the tx and rx cables, opened hyperterminal, and then powered on the drive, and then pushed CTRL+Z... But i don't get anything?

Anyone that can help me? Over msn maybe?

I have a 3500320AS with SD15 firmwire. And i bought i RS232-TTL usb-converter.

Turn off all, remove the PCB from HDA, power on, then try CTRL+Z.

I've unscrewed all the torx and took aside the PCB and attached the tx,rx and then power, then pushed CTRL and Z..Still the same, i only get an arrow, I can type. What to do next?

Unless aviko or yura's_friend can produce evidence that Gradius2 somehow stole this idea from a google search (I leave judgement until proof is given or is not) and reposted it as plagiarized data, I will consider these posts as simply trolling. There has been plenty of accusations thrown at Gradius2, but I see no proof as of yet that any of these accusations are containing any truth. If valid proof is given, then I will recognize that as well. The gauntlet has been thrown down - put up or shut up.

Any further accusatory posts without proof will result in bans to those doing so. I have heard and seen enough, and this is starting to confuse our users. This will not continue.

ok here is proof #1:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...st&p=828590

I tried the 0 LBA fix (HDD is recognized by BIOS, but as 0MB), but it doesn't seem to work:

When I input "m0 2,2,0,0,0,0,22" it takes a few seconds until the first line ("Max Wr Retries"...) shows up completly but then appears the following error message:

Error 1008 DETSEC 0000500D

User Partition Format Failed - Elapsed Time 0 mins 00 secs

R/W Sense 00000002, R/W Error 00000084, File Error 00001002

Blk Addr 01080001, Blk Addr Type D0, Cyl 01590000, Hd 00

Anyone experienced the same or can help?

EDIT: Interface is a modified Sagem data-cable with SP232AET-chipset (equal to MAX232), but this interface seems to work as it gets an answer.

look at the command: "m0 2,2,0,0,0,0,22" its a mistype there is SPACE intead of COMMA

this is command which was initialy posted by Gradius2 and users got that errors, he fixed it already, thats why you dont see this mistype in first post.

Wanna know how it happens? ok here is link to original text (in Polish): http://yura.projektas.lt/files/seagate/720011_ES21.html where command is correct but when you use google translate: http://translate.google.com/translate?prev...l=en&swap=1 site was changed since that day, it looks different after translation but ADDITIONAL SPACE still remains.

proof #2:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...mp;#entry828180

The Solution for 7200.11 Seagate HDDs:

/cut/

Conglatulations, you done it! (Goodbye money! Oh my! I could be rich!) :blink:

Reference files (.fbr video [FlashBack] and pdf).

Credits goes to the peoples from:

http://yura.projektas.lt/files/seagate/720011_ES2.html

http://forum.hddguru.com/tutorial-resolve-...ies-t11031.html

http://www.elektroda.pl/rtvforum/viewtopic.php?p=6012404

http://www.elektroda.pl/rtvforum/topic1198189.html

Keep in mind I did my best to compile all this information and provide more and better details.

Gradius

Edit: the default speed is indeed 38400 bps

these credits was on this topic to but he removed them, haha he forgot about second copy where it is.

Do you need more proof? I will find.

It seems that the post made by aviko yesterday (here points to two links that appear (from my very basic grasp of polski) to be what Gradius2 has posted. Can anyone confirm the published date on either of these two URLs, as in, were they up on the internet before January 18th 2009?

Hi,

I tried to fix ST3500620AS with HP12 firmware (HP OEM), initially showing LED:000000CC FAddr:002493D1.

All went fine but after the last step

F3 T>m0,2,2,,,,,22

nothing happens, even after 10 minutes. Drive is still not recognized by BIOS.

I tried several times, the initial LED:000000CC FAddr:002493D1 does not show up anymore.

So has anyone an idea ora link or ...

Thanks!

It seems that the post made by aviko yesterday (here points to two links that appear (from my very basic grasp of polski) to be what Gradius2 has posted. Can anyone confirm the published date on either of these two URLs, as in, were they up on the internet before January 18th 2009?

sure, just follow this link: (that link was posted by Gradius2)

http://www.elektroda.pl/rtvforum/viewtopic.php?p=6012404

Hi,

I tried to fix ST3500620AS with HP12 firmware (HP OEM), initially showing LED:000000CC FAddr:002493D1.

All went fine but after the last step

F3 T>m0,2,2,,,,,22

nothing happens, even after 10 minutes. Drive is still not recognized by BIOS.

I tried several times, the initial LED:000000CC FAddr:002493D1 does not show up anymore.

So has anyone an idea ora link or ...

Thanks!

And now can you enter to terminal or its locked?

It seems Gradius's guide was posted a little over 24 hours after aviko's (in polish). Gradius should be giving credit (at the very least) to aviko and link to his original posts, otherwise I will edit the post.

Hi again,

Now i've tried the loopback test so my setup is correct.

I dont get any response from the terminal, I dont get "F3 T>", but i can type..

I placed a paper card between the motor connector and the harddiskmainboard like in post #1, attached the tx and rx cables, opened hyperterminal, and then powered on the drive, and then pushed CTRL+Z... But i don't get anything?

Anyone that can help me? Over msn maybe?

I have a 3500320AS with SD15 firmwire. And i bought i RS232-TTL usb-converter.

my msn id: aviko A-T op.pl (u know what to do, i dont want spam on my email)

It seems Gradius's guide was posted a little over 24 hours after aviko's (in polish). Gradius should be giving credit (at the very least) to aviko and link to his original posts, otherwise I will edit the post.

Yura (aka okzo) posted it, not me. I just wanted justice.