The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

I press Ctrl + Z

but I have another message LED 13 or Led 1102

post-399836-0-72519000-1447192811_thumb.

I change RX and TX I get it

post-399836-0-42978600-1447186280_thumb.

help .... already tried several adapters ...

Chip Marvel port: 57600 ,, Chip samsung: 38400
Edited by mcsoba

• 1 month later...

Just want to thank everybody, especially Carter from Canada. I just recovered one Seagate HDD for a friend and he is thrilled since he didn't do a backup of his important files, and he is doing it now. :D

Cheers ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Hello friends.

I ran in to a problem.

Here is what I got. I got a windows xp (russian version) laptop with usb to ttl adapter.

I power my adapter with 3.3 volt from the power supply from the old computer.

I apply common ground to a third from the right pin on the hard drive, the same ground that feeding my usb to ttl adapter.

When I start a terminal and do a loopback test everything works. I get the typed letters back.

When I connect the drive and power it up and press ctrl+z I get a gibberish on the screen. Unreadable symbols. I have rx from the adapter go to tx on the hard drive and tx on the adapter goes to rx on the hard drive so everything is correct.

I tried to use PUTTY to connect and it did bring the prompt F3 T> but when I started typing "/2" it started displaying gibberish again.

What to do, other then try rs232 to ttl adapter?

Why do I get garbage on the screen in a terminal window instead of letters? Do I need to install certain fonts or change the encoding? Right now I have a ms dos font in terminal. I tried with every possible system font enabled and native terminal still sending garbage, however a loopback test comes through clear.

I read as much of this mega thread as I possibly can without loosing my mind. Anyone please help.

Thank you

"Gibberish" is usually derived from improper GROUNDing of ALL devices involved.

Please re-read the Read-me-first point #7

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/143880-seagate-barracuda-720011-read-me-first/

AND (just in case) a few posts starting from here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/128807-the-solution-for-seagate-720011-hdds/page-153#entry968299

Do review your setup, EVERY device involved needs to be grounded together.

As a side note, It is EXTREMELY rare :unsure: that a USB to TTL needs an external power source, all the USB converters I ever saw (with the exception possibly of one or two "phone cables") took power from the USB bus.

jaclaz

• 3 months later...

Hey guys, I bought a USB to TTL converter (see pic) and I was able to get to the point where I have to power down the HDD. The problem is that when I power it up again it does not stop spinning, not even after 18 hours.

My answer is, can I spin down the HDD by sending the CTRL+Z --> Z command? Because I believe it will not stop spinning not even after a week or a month.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

For other people that may buy this particular converter (0,89€+free shipping and no need for soldering), here's how I was able to establish connection:

Converter            HDD

TXD        <-->        TXD
RXD        <-->        RXD
GND        <-->        GND

And I used a second, old power supply to power the HDD with a molex to SATA power converter.

To make sure I will not drop a screw on the PCB, I made a stencil (see pic) out of a piece of cardboard that has the exact dimensions as the PCB and cut holes with an exacto knife, slightly larger than the head of the screw, to pass through easily.

Drivers for this particular USB to TTL converter: http://www.prolific.com.tw/US/ShowProduct.aspx?p_id=225&pcid=41

11ky1zq.jpg

Thank you :)

Edited by puzzler

Hi.

Sorry for my, very, bad english.

After step N1 you just power off your disk, wait few seconds an power up again. Then you continue. Keep the motor runnig. At this time you send Ctrl+z and type m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22. Await reply. Eventually type Z to stop the motor. If you have success your disk is readable.

Edited by coplan27

38 minutes ago, coplan27 said:

Hi.

Sorry for my, very, bad english.

You don't need to power off again your disk after the step N1.

When you power on your disk, the motor will run. At this time you send Ctrl+z and type m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22. Await reply. Eventually type Z to stop the motor. If you have success your disk is readable.

Thank you for answering. The steps I followed are these...

1. CTRL+Z
2. /2 [enter]
3. Z [enter]

- Once "SPIN DOWN COMPLETE" displays, remove the card and tighten all screws. Then type...

4. U [enter]

- Once "SPIN DOWN COMPLETE" displays type...

6. /1 [enter]
7. N1 [enter]
8. /T [enter]
9. i4,1,22 [enter]

- Unplug the power connector and wait 20-30 seconds.
- Plug power connector back in and wait until the drive spins down completely. Then type...

10. CTRL+Z
11. m0,2,2,,,,,22 [enter]

12. Then I have to wait for the results before I power down the HDD and test it to see if it works.

I'm now at the step where I have power up the HDD (bold text, between steps 9 and 10), and the instructions say wait until it stops completely before you type the next command (CTRL+Z). As I know with the command CTRL+Z and then Z I can spin down the motor, but is it safe to do so or do I have to wait to spin down by itself? If it is safe to go to the next step (CTRL+Z and then m0,2,2,,,,,22) then why the instructions say to wait? Thanks :)

Edited by puzzler

Hi.

Is your disk a Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 or a Maxtor DiamondMax22 ? And what is its firmware ?

Before typing the first Ctrl+z you must isolate heads contacts or remove completly the pcb.

Then type Ctr+z to awake the micro controler.

Then type Z (caps mode)

When you get the answer "spin down complete", put the pcb in place without unpluging nothing. Be careful not make any short circuit. Screw carefully the pcb in place. Then type U (caps mode).

After the answer "spin up complete" you may type 1, then N1 (still caps mode). After return to prompt. Unplug the SATA 12/5V. Await 10/15 seconds and plug in again.

Do not type T and i4... unusefull !

Then Ctrl+z again, wait for the prompt and type m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22 enter.

At the end of answers which may take a few minutes you can type Z (caps mode) and unplug all.

Your HDD may be awaked again.

Please re-read attentively first page of this topic. It is very important. Elsewhere you may kill your disk.

Edited by coplan27

14 minutes ago, coplan27 said:

Hi.

Is your disk a Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 or a Maxtor DiamondMax22 ? And what is its firmware ?

Before typing the first Ctrl+z you must isolate heads contacts or remove completly the pcb.

Then type Ctr+z to awake the micro controler.

Then type Z (caps mode)

When you get the answer "spin down complete", put the pcb in place without unpluging nothing. Be careful not make any short circuit. Screw carefully the pcb in place. Then type U (caps mode).

After the answer "spin up complete" you may type 1, then N1 (still caps mode). After return to prompt. Unplug the SATA 12/5V. Await 10/15 seconds and plug in again.

Do not type T and i4... unusefull !

Then Ctrl+z again, wait for the prompt and type m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22 enter.

At the end of answers which may take a few minutes you can type Z (caps mode) and unplug all.

Your HDD may be awaked again.

I will ansewer to you in a few minutes I have a responce from the HDD :)

The disk is a:

Seagate Barracuda SATA 3.5" 7200.11 500 Gbytes
Model: ST3500820AS
Firmware: SD81

I completed the procedure and I now have access to the disk but unfortunately even though I can see all the files they are not all of the readable...I cannot open them. The good thing is that the partition shows as it should on My Computer (169GB free of 465GB). This tells me that the files exist and I will be able to recover them somehow.

When I go to the Device Manager the HDD appears as: Maxtor Basics Desktop USB Device.

Do you have something to sugest?

You now need to get a full sector-by-sector clone of the drive.  I recommend using ddrescue, as it logs the unread sectors, allowing for multiple passes and can pickup where it left off, if you have to reboot the system.

Edit:  After you get the cleanest clone of the drive possible, then you can then run data recovery software against the stable drive.

Edited by lcoughey

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, hkssupra69 said:

Hi guys, hoping someone gets to see this.  Just wanted to confirm if this USB-TTL adapter would work.

https://www.amazon.com/FT232BL-Module-Support-Arduino-Raspberry/dp/B01DF3J5PY/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1469113301&sr=8-4&keywords=ft232bl

Thanks everyone.

It should, but there is no way to know for sure, unless you provide a (decent) datasheet for the specific device.

Usually :) (but not necessarily :() USB to TTL adapters that support both +3.3 V and +5 V (that is VCC) devices also support +3.3 V TTL (since they are compatible with +5 V TTL/CMOS levels):

http://www.interfacebus.com/voltage_threshold.html

But besides the READ-ME-FIRST:

the relevant part is titled "SERIAL Voltage and TTL levels" check the actual chip manufacturer (that also produces some cables/adapters) page:

http://www.ftdichip.com/Products/Cables/USBTTLSerial.htm

it is easy to get by mistake a non-compatible adapter.

For that kind of money (I understand that 13.99 US$ are just loose change nowadays, but you can find similar converters for anything between 3 and 8 US$) you can actually DEMAND such information from the vendor, this seems like the exact same one:
http://www.dx.com/p/ft232bl-module-usb-to-ttl-board-module-support-5v-3-3v-421177#.V5EREewQVzo

but not any added (meaningful) info on the TTL levels.

You want the vendor to state that the adapter has 3.3 V TTL level (or both - selectable - 3.3V and 5V TTL levels), like (example):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-to-TTL-Serial-Cable-FTDI-3-3V-TTL-for-Arduino-ProMini-Pro-mini-168-328-/281529780316?hash=item418c7b885c:g:jf8AAOxyMxpRqqlM

jaclaz

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

I am new to this forum. I have a seagate barracuda 7200.12 (ST500DM002) HDD having BSY ERROR.

I AM USING Kootek PL2303 USB to Serial TTL UART Module Converter Adapter. Link:http://www.amazon.in/Kootek-PL2303-Serial-Converter-Adapter/dp/B00FEAMUOK?tag=googinhydr18418-21&tag=googinkenshoo-21&ascsubtag=0c8f7794-7168-4197-85cf-745c0ba7f2d2 but it produced the ARROW character in Hyperterminal. one post says that the USB-TTL adapter sent signals at 5 Volts level and required 5 Volts responses, but maybe the HD only could send 3.3 Volts signals, so the Prolific USB-TTL adapter didn't work. So for people having problem with only getting an arrow prompter, switch to an adapter which sends and receives signals around 3.3 Volts. please help me...