The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

OK, I've currently shorted my TX and RX lines, but no matter which way around I connect them to the drive, I get nothing in the terminal.

They're only connected to the converter, so either it's not doing its job, and simply passing the signals through, or the hard drive isn't sending any signals.

Any hints?

tell me model of this drive, p/n, fw and date and site.

answer following questions:

did you set 38400n1 no flow control?

how do you power drive? from external psu or from pc?

did you connect rx, tx and GROUND signal?

did you press ctrl+z after connect in terminal?

your drive stays busy or detects in strange way eg:

Model....................................................... ST_M13FQBL

Serial number............................................... QNR_BFW

Firmware.................................................... 1204F3C8

@edit:

just 1 thing, if you have any other seagate drive you can check it but baud will be 9600n1

Edited by aviko

My DKU-5 it´s a real DKU-5 cable or a fake cable? I have opened the cable and i see only this, will don't be suppose have a chip PL-2303?

It seems nothing inside, does pc recognizes new hardware when you plug in only cable? if not it will not work. This board was inside that rubber plug? Weird. maybe electronics is in plug for phone?

@edit this cable looks like DKU-2 which is desired for nokia with usb built in phone and contain only wires

Edited by aviko

I have a Windows XP with correct driver instalation and my Windows don´t recognize and don´t detect my DKU-5 cable when i plug.

This is not a dku-5, this is a dku-2 correct?

Thanks aviko.

I waiting a response.

My DKU-5 it´s a real DKU-5 cable or a fake cable? I have opened the cable and i see only this, will don't be suppose have a chip PL-2303?

It seems nothing inside, does pc recognizes new hardware when you plug in only cable? if not it will not work. This board was inside that rubber plug? Weird. maybe electronics is in plug for phone?

@edit this cable looks like DKU-2 which is desired for nokia with usb built in phone and contain only wires

OK, I've currently shorted my TX and RX lines, but no matter which way around I connect them to the drive, I get nothing in the terminal.

They're only connected to the converter, so either it's not doing its job, and simply passing the signals through, or the hard drive isn't sending any signals.

Any hints?

tell me model of this drive, p/n, fw and date and site.

answer following questions:

did you set 38400n1 no flow control?

how do you power drive? from external psu or from pc?

did you connect rx, tx and GROUND signal?

did you press ctrl+z after connect in terminal?

your drive stays busy or detects in strange way eg:

Model....................................................... ST_M13FQBL

Serial number............................................... QNR_BFW

Firmware.................................................... 1204F3C8

@edit:

just 1 thing, if you have any other seagate drive you can check it but baud will be 9600n1

Baud rates are set at 38400 8 n 1 n.

Drive is powered from separate PC, direct SATA connection with orange wire.

Ground is connected on serial port end, not to drive. Ground is connected to floppy power, as is VCC.

*facepalm* No, I didn't press Ctrl-Z... OK, just tried that, with it being connected either way, all I get is an arrow.

The drive has the BSY error. I do not have any other Seagate drives.

It is a 7200.11, 98X154-303 is the P/N. Date code is 09215, site KRATSG.

*facepalm* No, I didn't press Ctrl-Z... OK, just tried that, with it being connected either way, all I get is an arrow.

arrow? you should get something like this:

F3 F>

or if its error which solution can fix:

FlashLED - Failure code:000000CC Failure Address:xxxxxxxx

can you make a screenshot what arrow you see?

if it gives CC error you need to follow instructions for BSY drive. Unscrew pcb from hda and connect to terminal.

It appears the arrow is what is echoed when Ctrl-Z is pressed. I'm not getting anything from the drive... *swaps Tx and Rx* Nope, still nothing.

did you try to do a power cycle when terminal is connected?

@edit: just to be sure, ground (black wire) both power supplies (from pc and second one) are connected together?

Edited by aviko

Both grounds are connected to the same point (see the schematic linked to on page 20).

Power-cycling it is doing nothing.

If you have 100% sure about working terminal it looks you got 7200.11 where terminal locks up. There are solutions but not for public domain as it happen with command set.

just to clarify when using the cell phone cable method, all i need is the tx and rx cables from it right? then plug the HD into any sata power cable (i have a 2nd PSU i can use for this)

also i saw someone had a little white plug in their HD for the tx and rx wires so the plugs stay on those little pins. anyone know where to find a plug that small? i *think* header cables (like found in a computer case) are too big.

Hi everybody nice thread , :thumbup

I have Maxtor 500GB affected with this ***** firmware not detected I want to repair it but I dont have the RS232 to TTL adapter and cant locate it here in stores please help me to reapair my hdd without the RS232 to TTL adapter I have every thing except this adapter ... could I repair my hdd without it ?? :unsure:

could I repair my hdd without it ?? :unsure:

NO. :(

As suggested in several places in this and the other threads, some cables for cellular phones integrate a TTL adapter, so that you could go that way, they should be easier to find.

jaclaz

arrow? you should get something like this:

F3 F>

or if its error which solution can fix:

can you make a screenshot what arrow you see?

if it gives CC error you need to follow instructions for BSY drive. Unscrew pcb from hda and connect to terminal.

When you say you see the arrow, do you mean the '>' character as shown after the "F3 F" text? If so, then

it may be doing what you want, but you just can't see all the text being echoed to the display but only the

last character which you are interpreting as an arrow head (not the mouse symbol).

I'm not sure if windows terminal allows one to change the terminal emulation from lets say whatever you have to VT100

with 80 columns. For those who have windows setup for other character sets or right to left prompting, could this be

the cause? I'm not sure how windows terminal would handle this too.

Can you post screen prints of your hyperterminal settings under File->properties and show us the settings for each screen tab under this

area? This will help with determining if they are set properly.....

Just some thoughts on the arrow problem. :whistle:

Edited by mikesw

Any hints?

If you shorted them, then you might fried the terminals.