The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

I followed with care the guide on the first post

NO, you DID NOT.

It's first line says:

Please make sure you've READ the Read-Me-First Sticky FIRST!

what do i wrong? Obviously the PCB of the hd is separated from the contacts... Rx and Tx cables are ok... can anyone help me? :(

You FAILED reading the read-me-first BEFORE. :ph34r:

READ it NOW :realmad: :

Pay PARTICULAR attention to point #7!

While you are at it ALSO READ the FGA's:

again, #7 will interest you.

jaclaz

I followed with care the guide on the first post

NO, you DID NOT.

It's first line says:

Please make sure you've READ the Read-Me-First Sticky FIRST!

what do i wrong? Obviously the PCB of the hd is separated from the contacts... Rx and Tx cables are ok... can anyone help me? :(

You FAILED reading the read-me-first BEFORE. :ph34r:

READ it NOW :realmad: :

Pay PARTICULAR attention to point #7!

While you are at it ALSO READ the FGA's:

again, #7 will interest you.

jaclaz

Thanks for the answer, i'm gonna check the points you have highlined... sorry for my being n00b :

EDIT: ok, i connected the GRD cable from the converter to the hd ... same result, i still don't understand what's wrong with this... sorry again for my ignorance :(

Edited by PredTek

Thanks for the answer, i'm gonna check the points you have highlined... sorry for my being n00b :

EDIT: ok, i connected the GRD cable from the converter to the hd ... same result, i still don't understand what's wrong with this... sorry again for my ignorance :(

Read FGA no.7 AGAIN:

7. I get all kinds of gibberish and random characters on my screen when I connect my converter to my HDD.

Check grounding. (Read-Me-First Point #7)

Also make sure that the connections between your converter and HDD are insulated and do not touch each other.

That means the reason you normally get random charactors is that your gnd wire touches one of the other two. check all your connections carefully.

That means the reason you normally get random charactors is that your gnd wire touches one of the other two. check all your connections carefully.

... or that not ALL devices involved are properly grounded TOGETHER, these INCLUDE:

• the "coming from the PSU" black wire
  • the - (minus of the battery)
  • the ground on the adapter
  • the ground on the HD (next to TX and RX)

[italian]

TUTTO (ALL) vuol dire TUTTO, non ALCUNE parti utilizzate (SOME parts involved)

[/italian]

jaclaz

Hm, I'm feeling stupid. ._.

I've checked all the cables and it seems there are no contacts between them..

Could it maybe be a problem of settings of HyperTerminal? I'm meaning ASCII or something like ...

Another thing... do you confirm that three cables (tx rx grd) have to go from the HD to the controller? In other tutorial i've seen that only TX and RX cables are nececessary...

Thank you for all the support guys, I really appreciate :)

Hm, I'm feeling stupid.

Rest assured that you are projecting the same feeling here. :ph34r:

Another thing... do you confirm that three cables (tx rx grd) have to go from the HD to the controller? In other tutorial i've seen that only TX and RX cables are nececessary...

YES, YES, YES! :realmad:

It's about two days :w00t: that two people here are trying to tell you in every possible language that EVERYTHING (ALL devices) must be GROUNDed together!

AND the SAME ground cable HAS to be connected to the 0V of the battery AND to the black cable coming from the PSU you are using to power the hard disk!

FORGET whatever you have seen ELSEWHERE.

READ what is HERE.

DO what is written!

We did not take the time to write it (again and again) if it was not:

all-important, basic, binding, bottom-line, cardinal, chief, compelling, compulsory, crucial, de rigueur, decisive, elementary, exigent, expedient, fundamental, imperative, incumbent on, indispensable, mandatory, momentous, name of game, needed, needful, obligatory, paramount, prerequisite, pressing, prime, principal, quintessential, required, requisite, significant, specified, unavoidable, urgent, vital, wanted

The general idea of a set of instructions is:

1. DO what is written in them (and NOTHING else) EXACTLY
    OR (freedom is essential :))
  2. GO somewhere else

Could it maybe be a problem of settings of HyperTerminal? I'm meaning ASCII or something like ...

Settings for hyperterminal are CLEARLY detailed in BOTH the recommended guides:

http://www.mapleleafmountain.com/seagatebrick.html

and in the read-me-first, that by now you should have READ and followed EXACTLY.

jaclaz

Ok... i've read ALL i've found on this forum and all you've posted...

How the f*** do i connect the GRD cable to the PSU? There's no way, or i can't find it ... It must work goddamn, the circuit should work, every cable is where it must be but for some strange reason it doesnt work, i'm really starting to think that my PCB is completely GONE...

Worst thing is that i don't understand the problem -.- and I'm really sorry for all the time you're wasting to help me ...

Worst thing is that i don't understand the problem -.- and I'm really sorry for all the time you're wasting to help me ...

The problem is detailed in point #6 (the one before #7) in the read-me-first.

If your PCB is completely gone, you wouldn't have the "garbage" characters. (mind you it is possible that part of the PCB is gone, but it is unlikely).

What is the problem in taking one of the (MANY) black cables coming from the PSU, and attach to it a (black) wire and connect this latter to all the rest?

You surely have from the PSU a common Molex connector:

800px-Molex_female_connector.jpg

unused.

The BLACK wires in it are BOTH a GROUND (or 0v) connection, you have to have that connected to ALL the other ground wires or pins.

This creates an equipotential "base" level.

It is possible that the actual RS232 to TTL adapter is defective, but I doubt it, if loopback tests work allright.

You did actually carry a loopback test, didn't you?

That is point #8 of the read-me-first.

jaclaz

It is possible that you have only SATA power connectors (though it's UNlikely).

But things don't change much, you should have more than one of them "free".

Or however have any number of "other connectors" available with a black wire.

In the worst case you can connect to the actual motherboard ground.

In the worst case you can get one of these:

http://www.idaf.it/index.php?topic=410.140

DSC06640.JPG

DSC06638.JPG

from *any* car supplies shop.

jaclaz

I completely disassembled my case and i've found one of that cables that i need... Now i need to know ... how to feed the hd by using it?

I also have another problem, my cable is fully black and I don't know what's the ground cable but it seems that they are the central ones.

When I'll get home again I'll try and I'll edit this post with results, hoping it works

Thanks for the third (or fourth) time, lol :)

Yes, if it's a four pin Molex (for ATA/IDE HD's or CD/DVD's) the two central wires are Black (Ground).

If you have a multimeter you can check them against the "outer ones".

The Red one is 5 V.

The Yellow one is 12 V.

Even if you cannot see the colours of the wires the connector has two cut edges that you can use as reference with the image I posted.

If both cut edges are on top, facing the connector, you have from left to right: 12V,0V,0V,5V

Now, imagine an octopus. :w00t:

world-octopus.jpg

Each tentacle is connected to the body of the octopus on one side, right?

Since we have wires instead (and no body) simply connect one side of EACH ground wire together, example:

morsetto.jpg

You need to connect the other end of each "tentacle" to a GND.

This particular octopus has only 4 (four) tentacles:

1. connected to the black wire of the PSU
  2. connected to the ground of the adapter
  3. connected to the battery 0 V
  4. connected to the Hard Disk GND pin (the one next to Tx and Rx)

Do you get the picture, now? :unsure:

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz