Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 

Gradius2

The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

Well this made me laugh at myself.. lol.. I didn't use anything to power the HDD.. :lol:

WHAT are you using to power the drive?

Like:

* a connector from the PSU of the SAME PC that you have the USB/TTL converter connected

* another PC PSU

* another "external drive" power supply

I will be using power supply from the same pc with which I have the USB/TTL converter connected. I have a Corsair VX450W power supply.

I simply connect the SATA cable from the power supply to the HDD. Right? Any specific things to be taken at this stage? I mean I don't want to fry the converter or something. Further, when the SATA cable is connected, do I switch on the PC at that time or I switch on the PC and then connect the SATA cable?

Thanks again!

Further, when the SATA cable is connected, do I switch on the PC at that time or I switch on the PC and then connect the SATA cable?

The second you said.

You have everything setup (PC booted), then you connect the converter, then you connect the HD power cable.

The good news are that you need not further GROUNDING, as the GND of the PC PSU is connected through the USB to the converter and from it to the HD, and as well it is the same ground connected through the HD power cable.

jaclaz

After trying three times with a Nokia CA-53 cable I've decided to buy the famous CA-42 one and it worked.

With all due respect, not really "news".

See here:

After all we could add this bit of info on the read-me-first and FGA's ;):

adding to the list the CA-53 :unsure:

:angel

jaclaz

My bad...I skipped a few pages but I learned from my mistake.

My bad...I skipped a few pages but I learned from my mistake.

Sure :).

:thumbup

jaclaz

Guys help me out.. I'm stuck at the last command for the past 10 mins..

Did this command, F3 T>m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22 (enter) and been waiting for the response.. what do I do now?

Thanks!

EDIT : I just realized I did not power off the drive by removing the sata cable.. I simply changed to the test level prompt by typing F3 1>/T (enter) and then the above command..

Is it all over now? :(post-310776-0-56353700-1307257517_thumb.

Edited by 104

EDIT : I just realized I did not power off the drive by removing the sata cable.. I simply changed to the test level prompt by typing F3 1>/T (enter) and then the above command..

What do you mean it's all over? :unsure:

Start again from the beginning.

READ a few posts starting from here:

d4m1 made that SAME mistake, re-did from scratch (he needed to cover the "other" set of contacts) and finally succeeded.

jaclaz

What do you mean it's all over? :unsure:

Start again from the beginning.

READ a few posts starting from here:

d4m1 made that SAME mistake, re-did from scratch (he needed to cover the "other" set of contacts) and finally succeeded.

jaclaz

Ok I removed the sata cable and plugged it back again after 2 mins.. pressed Ctrl Z but nothing happened on hyperterminal.. What do I do now?

You READ the few posts before I pointed you to? :realmad:

and redo EVERYTHING from the beginning, this time actually READing and doing EXACTLY what the guide:

http://www.mapleleafmountain.com/seagatebrick.html

says.

(and re-checking EVERYTHING)

jaclaz

Sorry for asking the same questions over and over again.. Just wanted to confirm before doing anything..

P.S. I really appreciate the time and effort you put in explaining things to people like me.

EDIT : I did the whole thing again from scratch.. it when smoothly till the point where the guide said to remove the sata cable from HDD.. I removed the cable and plugged it back and now when i pressed Ctrl Z, nothin happened.. Here's the screenshot..

post-310776-0-62747400-1307267801_thumb.

Thanks a ton again.

Edited by 104

Sorry for bumping but some suggestions please with regard to the above problem? :)

Edited by 104

The only advice I can give is to echo jaclaz's comments. Repeat the whole exercise again, carefully checking and re-checking all steps and connections.

Does fixing BSY error involve formatting the hard drive? I'm wondering if I will be able to recover any data when the drive is fixed.

Cheers!

No problem Voo.

After fixing BSY mode, the drive is fully functional. All datas presents.

Just don't forget updating firmware.

Hi, I have fixed several 7200.11 ST3500320AS SD15 500GB drives since the busy problem happeded and the solution was posted in this forum.

All drives worked fine after fixing and I recovered all data correctly (I'm talking about 6-8 drives I'm not sure). But recently I have experienced a strange behaviour with two drives:

I follow EXACTLY the same steps as usual and apparently the problem is solved but when I connect the drive to the computer the drive isn't still recognized.

During fixing steps I got correct feedback from drive on hyperterminal according to the tutorials, (I got no errors or strange messages), but no matter how many times I repeat the process the drive remains busy. Or at least not recognized in BIOS.

I assume that serial adapter is working fine because I got response from drive on hyperterminal, in fact I recovered one drive after the first one that failed in fixing it.

Does anyone have the same problem?

Thank you all and excuse my spelling mistakes so I'm not english-speaking.

But recently I have experienced a strange behaviour with two drives:

I follow EXACTLY the same steps as usual and apparently the problem is solved but when I connect the drive to the computer the drive isn't still recognized.

During fixing steps I got correct feedback from drive on hyperterminal according to the tutorials, (I got no errors or strange messages), but no matter how many times I repeat the process the drive remains busy. Or at least not recognized in BIOS.

Are you sure your SATA cable / port is working? Did you try it on a different PC?