The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

Hi folks,

i have a Barracuda ES.2 that is bricked. I've read this thread unlocking of ES.2 and it shows that the recommended steps are almost identical.

Now my problem is the last step in the Hyperterminal. I typed the last command F3 T>m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22 but then nothing happened. I know it can take a while to complete but I'm waiting almost an hour now. I got the bad feeling it wont work this way.

Now I'm asking you how i should proceed!

I hope someone can help me. Thank you!

greetz

Daniel

Hi Daniel,

With the 7200.11's it is not a problem switching off and restarting if it takes too long. See here

I do not think it will be a problem for the ES2 as well. Give it another hour and restart then.

Good Luck!

Thanks for your quick response. Can I just unplug the SATA power plug from the HD or should I power down the whole PC? And a last question: Do I have to repeat all the required steps then or just the last?

Thanks again BlouBul!

Thanks for your quick response. Can I just unplug the SATA power plug from the HD or should I power down the whole PC? And a last question: Do I have to repeat all the required steps then or just the last?

Thanks again BlouBul!

Normally you just pull out the sata power and wait a minute.

From 7200.11 guide:

At this point, many say you need to disconnect the SATA power cable from the drive and wait one minute. Yes, count to sixty. Then plug the SATA power cable back into the drive. There is a bit of debate about this step in the forums but that is what I did and it worked fine in my case. *IF and only if* you choose not to disconnect drive power temporarily, you need to at least change back to the test level prompt (type F3 1>/T (enter)) at this point before continuing.

Now back in HyperTerminal, you'll need to hit CTRL-Z to get a fresh prompt

F3 T>

And it's time to regenerate the partitions with the command (notice the lower case here)

F3 T>m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22 (enter) <-------- note, those are 'zeros' not 'ohs', i.e. the digit, not the letter

Hey folks

I have fixed a few of these BSY disks now but stumbled across one yesterday that behaved differently. When I put the PCB back it sounds like it tries to spin up but fails and then repeatedly tries again. So it's like a 'bzzzzz', 'silence', 'bzzzzz', 'silence', 'bzzzzz', 'silence', 'bzzzzz', 'silence', 'bzzzzz', 'silence', 'bzzzzz' and so on. Have anyone stumbled across something similar and if so, is there a fix?

Have anyone stumbled across something similar and if so, is there a fix?

YES, MAYBE, but NOT here.

WHAT is the difficult part in "this thread is ONLY for LBA0 and BSY problems on the 7200.11"? :unsure:

Compare with point #1 "FOREWORD" of the read-me-first:

Quick questionnaire :w00t::

Q1: Is it a 7200.11

A1: If yes add 1, if no add 0 and go to end of questionnare

Q2: Is it a BSY problem?

A2:If yes add 1, if no add 0

Q3:Is it a LBA0 problem?

A3:If yes add 1, if no add 0

If your total is 2 or more post on the main thread, if below 2 start a new thread. :whistle:

jaclaz

WHAT is the difficult part in "this thread is ONLY for LBA0 and BSY problems on the 7200.11"? :unsure:

It did start out as a BSY problem and all symptoms were exactly the same. I posted here because I thought it could have been a BSY fix going bad and that someone would recognize the symptoms as that. So don't be so quick to judge here.

Quick questionnaire :w00t::

Q1: Is it a 7200.11

A1: If yes add 1, if no add 0 and go to end of questionnare

Q2: Is it a BSY problem?

A2:If yes add 1, if no add 0

1, since that was I thought it started as and I thought, and maybe still think, that it's a flavour of BSY

Q3:Is it a LBA0 problem?

A3:If yes add 1, if no add 0

If your total is 2 or more post on the main thread, if below 2 start a new thread. :whistle:

1+1 should be 2... right? I can also whisle... :whistle:

just wanted to say thank you to the people that found this fix and for the help in trouble shooting the problems I had. I just got my 750gb drive back online and I'm putting all the data on a new drive.

you're welcome :)

Once I have everything backed up, what is the recommended firmware up so this doesn't happen again? I have the st3750330as

See FGA #3

Honesty?? The trash can...

Why??? See FGA #3

I cant seem to connect to my drive via Hyperterminal :(

SeeFGA #4 & 5

Good morning BlueBul, thanks for your speedy reply

Yes, I've done a loop back - whilst the TX & RX wires are connected, I get text appearing in the hyperterminal window.

I've got a USB lead, - this one...http://www.avitresearch.co.uk/usb_to_ttl.htm

I emailed the seller before I bought it...

Hi, I have 2 Seagate 7200.11 drives that have gone into what looks like a locked state. I'm led to believe a USB to TTL cable is needed to be able to connect and unlick them. Can you confirm that the detals on this website http://sites.google.com/site/seagatefix/ are referring to the cable you are selling please? I'd REALLY appreciate, if this is the right cable if I could have it ASAP please.

I got this email from Adrian at Avitresearch, regarding connections...

Dear Steve,

Yes - I believe a few buyers have used the cable for this purpose - I had a quick look at the web site you sent, I things to watch out for is the TX/RX labelling, we lable our wires as if it were TTL, so RX (red) is TTL Recieve (i.e. Output FROM the computer TO the Harddrive), TX (blue) is TTL Transmit (i.e. Output of the Harddrive to the computer). Also don't connect the power (+5v yellow) it will not be needed if the harddrive is powered by other means.

I got the drivers from Adverity's website.

I configured Hyperterminal on COM 3 (As shown in Device manager)

So, I connected the RX from the cable to the TX on the drive, and obviously the TX from the cable to the RX on the drive, and the Ground on the cable to the ground on the drive.

I left off the Yellow power cable, and powered the drive from the SATA connection in the PC.

All no good. I reversed the RX and TX cables, - No good

When I reversed the cables, I configured Hyper to use COM 1 as another user here had done, still no good: Tried on COM3, also no good

I connected the yellow power cable too, no good

I tried on the other 7200.11 drive I have, still no good.

I'm beginning to wonder if its a simple Error 18 (error is 18 inches from the keyboard!!)

One thing to note, if I connect SATA power to the drives, I am no longer getting any amount of drive activity. Before - they would spin up slowly. Not any more though.

Thanks

Steve

READ the page you linked to:

http://www.avitresearch.co.uk/usb_to_ttl.htm

particularly this:

3v3/5v TTL - The cables use 5v TTL logic levels but can be made 3v3 TTL Levels (if the 3v3 circuit is not 5v tolerant) by adding a 2.2k ohms resistor between Tx (Red wire) and ground. Note that the power pin will still supply +5v (as do the 3v3 FTDI cables).

COMPARE with points #6, #7 and #10 of the read-me-first:

Particularly this:

Generic TTL considerations:

The hard disk "likes" "real TTL" (the one that has a "high" at max 3.3 V).

Nonetheless a TTL/CMOS (that can have a "high" at as much as 5 V) may work.

It is unknown whether the HD has a "peaks flattening" circuit of some kind and there are mixed reports.

Rule of the thumb:

• there are NO reports of failures at 3.3V
  • there are a few, not fully confirmed, reports of 5V working

Please note that two different converters "labeled" as "5V" may behave differently due to the not fully standard behaviour of some of these circuits.

Draw your own conclusions.

jaclaz