The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

Quite honestly I'd use (and have used) the serial converter (TTL to USB) it's the easiest method imo.

I'm just not too keen on soldering wires, never done it before and I don't want to mess anything up.

You don't need to solder anything. Either do the Nokia cable one or look at this:

and this one:

Thanks for the info. I've been so busy lately and had no time to further look into this. However, in the next couple of days I'll look into it and order the part that I need. Its good to know no soldering is required!

Edited by magictrick

I am in need of expert advice and help. The hard drive is a

Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500GB ST3500820AS P/N 9BX134-568 Firmware SD81

I have a sound file so you can hear the sound that it makes, and I have 2 pics I made from using

Victoria for Windows 4.3

Can anyone diagnose and tell me what the problem is and how to fix it. I don't have $400-$2400 to pay the experts cause i'm unemployed and that was the amount giving to me when I called a data recover center in my area. Wow that's pricey. Actually I'm a stay at home dad taking care of the baby girl and my wife so desperately wants me to recover this data to get the hospital pics and movies back of the baby. If anyone can help me I have no problem paying for it. We just don't have enough money to fork out $1,000/ A Grand to get the data back cause were not rich. Thanks

post-279947-126707689841_thumb.jpg

I have a sound file so you can hear the sound that it makes,

I only see one image and no sound-file :no:

But, by the looks of it, it looks like you're suffering from that other infamous thing

called "The click of death", which sounds similar to "Rrrrr-tick Rrrr-tick" :unsure:

There are some things about this problem on the internet (though I haven't seen any real

solutions to it...), but it's not related to the problem discussed in this thread.

Greetz,

Peter.

First thank you to Gradius for your posts. Between this and overclocker.net and a few others I managed to get almost there...

Please excuse that this is a partial re-post of what I noted last night(this morning) on overclocker.net...

Any assistance would be most helpful...

Has anyone else, gotten only a small arrow in hyperterminal when entering CTRL-Z and recovered?

Working with a ST3500320AS HDD w/ BSY problem (or at least I believe that was it since it wasn't recognized on boot up one day, no sounds, just no longer accessible).

Got all the way thru step 11 (entering N1) after successfully completing 1-8 of the guide as well as the optional F712 commands. Then things went to heck. [Referenced both this forum and the guide, and began using the commands on page 1 here... http://www.overclock.net/hard-drives-storage/457286-seagate-bricked-firmware-drive-fix-pics.html]

The terminal response when I entered N1 was a beta character on the same line, then the F3 T> prompt.

Figuring it might be okay, I continued and at step 12 received the F3 T> prompt also.

I powered the HDD down for 20 seconds while still connected, then powered back up.

The caret remained underneath the F in the last F3 T> prompt. But I went ahead and typed in the m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22 command and enter. The HDD simply continued to spin, no hyperterminal response. Finally after 10-20 minutes I powered it down and disconnected the hyperterminal session.

I then re-placed the business card blocking data connection on the PCB and disconnected the USB (CA-42) cable readying for another attempt.

This time hyperterminal responded to the CTRL-Z with a small arrow and nothing more.

So, I'm wondering

(1) Did anyone else get the beta character after N1 was entered?

(2) Anyone else get the small arrow?

(3) Is the HDD now toast for some reason?

(4) Should there have been a CTL-Z *before* the m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22 command to 'wake up' and get you back to the F3 T> prompt after power down of the HDD for 10-20secs?

(5) Any hope for my data??

Thanks to all those who've generously provided instructions and troubleshooting on this and other forums. Your assistance is invaluable!

Here are some screenshots:

Attempt #1 - N1 beta response (hyperterminal screenshot) post-280485-126713379232_thumb.png

Attempt #1 - all commands entered & response (ht copy, note it doesn't capture the beta but an accented a instead) post-280485-126713395056_thumb.png

Attempt #2 -- CTRL-Z response (ht screenshot) post-280485-126713385576_thumb.png

Hi all

First of all, thanks to all of you for this great thread. I think i have read-it in its entiretly, but nobody seems to have my problem.

I've a Seagate ST3500320AS 7.200.11 with SD15 firmware, and it dies last week. I used a CA-42 cable, and all goes ok. As you know, i must get a message like this

Max Wr Retries = 00, Max Rd Retries = 00, Max ECC T-Level =14, Max Certify Rewrite Retries = 00C8

User Partition Format 10% complete, Zone 00, Pass 00, LBA 00004339, ErrCode 00000080, Elapsed Time 0 mins 05 secs

User Partition Format Successful - Elapsed Time 0 mins 05 secs

But, at the end, i get this one

Max Wr Retries = 00, Max Rd Retries = 00, Max ECC T-Level =00, Max Certify Rewrite Retries = 0000

User Partition Format Successful - Elapsed Time 0 mins 00 secs

??? Yeah, i've pasted the message ok. The line "User Partition Format 10%, bla bla bla" is missing. I've tried several times, but at the end, i get the same message: always without this line. Obviusly, HDD don't work. BIOS recognize it, but not Windows.

Any idea?

Thanks in advance (and excuse me for my english)

I'm trying to repair my hd using an USB to RS232. I have almost all clear, but there is one thing missing.

I have connected a USB to the +5v and the GND and then from the TX and RX to the RX and TX on the hard drive, but i don't know if i have to connect from the GND on the USB to RS232 to the GND on the HD. Is it neccessary? Or it's enough with the +5v extra?

Thanks a lot and good work!!

Obviusly, HDD don't work. BIOS recognize it, but not Windows.

Nothing so obvious.

If BIOS recognizes it, it is not anymore bricked.

The fact that you haven't seen the percentage of advance of the user format doesn't mean anything, the main part is:

User Partition Format Successful - Elapsed Time 0 mins 00 secs

To restate the obvious, this thread is about two problems:

• 0 LBA
  • BSY state

Your drive is EITHER in one of the two states above (and then this thread may be of use) or it is NOT (and then you should start a new thread about your problem).

This:

BIOS recognize it, but not Windows.

tells us nothing in order to let us try and help you, we need DETAILS.

I'm trying to repair my hd using an USB to RS232. I have almost all clear, but there is one thing missing.

I have connected a USB to the +5v and the GND and then from the TX and RX to the RX and TX on the hard drive, but i don't know if i have to connect from the GND on the USB to RS232 to the GND on the HD. Is it neccessary? Or it's enough with the +5v extra?

Wait a minute. :ph34r:

You don't want a USB to RS232, I repeated this info n times , but it seems like it simply does not pass through :whistle: .

The drive "speaks" TTL.

You can have:

(on a desktop or laptop that has a built-in RS-232 "serial" port):

• a RS-232 to TTL interface

(on a desktop or laptop that only has USB ports):

EITHER:

• a USB to TTL interface
    OR:
  • a USB to RS-232 interface AND a RS-232 to TTL interface

jaclaz

...This:

BIOS recognize it, but not Windows.

tells us nothing in order to let us try and help you, we need DETAILS.

Ok jaclaz, thanks for your answer.

BIOS recognize it (last week didn't), and then one of three things can happen

1. I get a black screen in windows startup
  2. It take minutes to startup, and when i open "my computer", disk is there but don't show his size. When i click on it, i get a Windows message "I/O device error".
  3. Same as number 2, but with the popup of "new hardware found ST3500320AS but with the same result

Wait a minute. :ph34r:

You don't want a USB to RS232, I repeated this info n times , but it seems like it simply does not pass through :whistle: .

The drive "speaks" TTL.

You can have:

(on a desktop or laptop that has a built-in RS-232 "serial" port):

• a RS-232 to TTL interface

(on a desktop or laptop that only has USB ports):

EITHER:

• a USB to TTL interface
    OR:
  • a USB to RS-232 interface AND a RS-232 to TTL interface

jaclaz

Thanks for your help jaclaz, i have been looking for info and the interface is USB to TTL, but has written something about RS-232...

Anyway, the TTL, has 6 conections: 3.3v, RST, TXD, RXD, GND and 5v.

I connected:

- TXD AND RXD to RXD and TXD on the HD.

- GND and 5V to an USB cable for power supply.

Now the question is: Do I have to plug the "GND on TTL" to "GND on HD"? Are all steps i made right?

Thanks a lot!!

Thanks for your help jaclaz, i have been looking for info and the interface is USB to TTL, but has written something about RS-232...

I connected:

Now the question is: Do I have to plug the "GND on TTL" to "GND on HD"? Are all steps i made right?

Thanks a lot!!

Yes, grounding is a must, expecially if you are drawing power from two different power supplies, but I wonder if you are using one of those auto-adjusting TTL interfaces :ph34r: , see here:

it is possible that if you supply 5V to the interface you get the "wrong" TTL levels in output.

BIOS recognize it (last week didn't), and then one of three things can happen

1. I get a black screen in windows startup
  2. It take minutes to startup, and when i open "my computer", disk is there but don't show his size. When i click on it, i get a Windows message "I/O device error".
  3. Same as number 2, but with the popup of "new hardware found ST3500320AS but with the same result

So, you should start a new thread about your current problem, drive is not anymore bricked and it doesn't "belong here" anymore.

The thing you are missing is that a drive that has bricked is a FAULTY drive, the methods we use on this thread may unbrick it, BUT there is no magic wand, after the unbricking the drive is to be considered FAULTY, you should get all the data from it, if you can, and then eithr throw it in the dust bin or use it as tertiary backup media.

It is possible that besides the bricking problem your drive suffers from other problems you should run the Seagate Diagnostic Tools on it and report (again in ANOTHER thread).

jaclaz

I connected:

Thanks a lot!!

Yes, grounding is a must, expecially if you are drawing power from two different power supplies, but I wonder if you are using one of those auto-adjusting TTL interfaces :ph34r: , see here:

it is possible that if you supply 5V to the interface you get the "wrong" TTL levels in output.

Hello again.

Here is how i managed it: http://yfrog.com/5cesquemagj

The usb gives 3,3 v, but i read that it must be connected to the 5v on TTL, but i can put it on 3,3 v if you think it's better. Is it connected in the right way?

I don't know if the TTL is auto-adjusting, you can see how it is at the picture attached. Maybe you will know it....

TTL gives power to HDD through TX? I can use a Polymeter to check the output...

Thanks, thanks, thanks!!!

Now, it is NOT about level of power going in, it's about TTL voltage level getting out.

Read the post I linked you to.

Read the link in it:

http://www.interfacebus.com/voltage_threshold.html

Check the specs of your interface, connect it wisely. ;)

I personally doubt that on a USB to TTL interface the good engineers who made it wrote "USB to RS232", but of course everything is possible. :unsure:

Where did you buy it?

Are the specs of that interface available online?

jaclaz

It is possible that besides the bricking problem your drive suffers from other problems you should run the Seagate Diagnostic Tools on it and report (again in ANOTHER thread).

jaclaz

You're right. With an ubuntu live cd, i finally got access to the hdd.

Thanks again!

Now, it is NOT about level of power going in, it's about TTL voltage level getting out.

Read the post I linked you to.

Read the link in it:

http://www.interfacebus.com/voltage_threshold.html

Check the specs of your interface, connect it wisely. ;)

I personally doubt that on a USB to TTL interface the good engineers who made it wrote "USB to RS232", but of course everything is possible. :unsure:

Where did you buy it?

Are the specs of that interface available online?

jaclaz

I bought that on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250399285596&ssPageName=ADME:B:EF:US:1123

The specs on the ad:

USB TO TTL Converter Module

Description:

# Built-in USB to RS232 Transfer chip.

# Designed to be used for USB to TTL electronic projects.

# TTL interface output, easy to connect to your MCU.

# Power LED.

# Dual 3.3V and 5V Power output, work with 3.3v and 5v target device.

# Compact design.

# Dimension: 41 mm x 15 mm

It has 3.3v and 5v power output, i think that if i connect the usb to 3.3v it will give 3.3v out and if i connect usb to 5v it will get 5v out, doesn't it?

I don't know very much about this so i appreciate help very much!!

Would it be better to connect the USB to 3.3v?

Thanks, thanks, thanks!