The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

up, anyone have ideas?

Yes and No.

It should be possible to by-pass it:

http://hardmaster.info/eng/articles/09-04-2009.html

but it's well beyond the DIY level.

The method with CA-42 cable may resolve something?

Of course NOT, the CA-42 is (the good ones actually working) nothing different from a USB-to-TTL converter.

It is possible, though, that the contacts are not good:

http://forum.hddguru.com/1tb-seagate-hdd-d...d81-t12290.html

It can happen that the pins are forced a bit too much by the card, check previous pages there are a few reports about this issue.

Completely removing the PCB, thoroughly cleaning the contacts, check if any contact is twisted, etc., etc. may solve the problem, as well as re-tightening the screw nearest to the contacts once you remove the card.

jaclaz

ok, thanks jaclaz!

This evening when i return from work i try to remove PCB and i hope that work then..

i've also checked the previous page but i didn't found nothing similar to my problem :( i''ll probably look bad :(

i hope isn't a mechanical problem :(:(:(

ok, thanks jaclaz!

This evening when i return from work i try to remove PCB and i hope that work then..

i've also checked the previous page but i didn't found nothing similar to my problem :( i''ll probably look bad :(

There are, at the moment of this writing 121 pages in this thread, it is not at all easy to find the "good" info distinguishing it from requests of help and unuseful info.

Here two examples:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...807&st=2152

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...807&st=2100

Basically a common error people tend to do is putting a very thick "insulator" AND NOT loosen enough the screws around it.

This can slightly bend either the contact or the PCB, and you need to re-tighten the screws very hard to have contact, or check the contacts/PCD and/or leave them un-screwed long enough for the bent things to recover their original state.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

hi

my hyper terminal is not work

i press CTRL+Z

put is not show F3 T>

it is not work

please help me

What type of connection are you using? RS232 to TTL or the CA-42 USB cable? Either way, you need to connect the RX and TX wires together to see if hyperterminal comes up. then you connect it to the HDD. If it still does not work, switch the RX and TX wires.

Hi all.

Well it's been a few weeks since I fixed my Seagate SATA 500GB with SD15 Firmware as it had the BSY state error, I had fixed it and recovered all my data back and now I can't believe it has done it again, well done Seagate you stupid pricks. Turned on my PC today and just like the 1st time, it doesn't detect my hard drive in BIOS. After I fixed it the first time, I didn't update the Firmware but I did back up my data so lucky for that.

So to everyone with these errors, just a reminder, it can happen again just like it did to me, so after recovering your hard drives get your data back not too long after fixing it and update your Firmware.

The only reason I didn't update my Firmware is because the first few Firmwares Seagate released were actually bricking some peoples hard drives when updating to the new Firmware, but now I have read the Firmware is stable. Another reason is I'm waiting on my 4 Western Digital hard drives and didn't think this error would come back so soon after fixing it.

I have sent the whole Seagate hard drive error story to one of our big TV News channels here in Australia with links and pictures and they will be airing it all over Australia soon and warning people to check if they have the faulty Seagate hard drives currently installed to be aware and backup immediately.

And to those Seagate employees who have registered here pretending they're an end user and sticking up for Seagate, PLEASE, I dare you, to bring me a story of another Hard Drive company that has faulted to this extent, with SO MANY people affected it by it, and still SO MANY more to come. Whatever story you tell me, I can guarantee you it hasn't affected as much people as this Seagate fault has. I have searched and searched for something as big as this Seagate fault and I can only find small problems compared to this world wide Seagate anger.

Folks, I too had the BSY problem and fought with seagate for a while. Ran into this topic and was relieved to find many others in the same boat. So I contacted seagate again and they offered a free solution. Unfortunately i365 said that it didn't work. So I got it back and was able to go through the solution posted here and success!

Now my HDD is working again and I'm actually typing from that computer right now. If anyone is in the STL area and wants to get your HDD restored using this method, shoot me an email. I've got the CA-42 cable and it worked magically

mundy5 are you telling me that you sent your Seagate hard drive to Seagate's hard drive recovery Department which is i365 and they said that they couldn't fix it and it didn't work ?? Then you fixed the hard drive YOURSELF using internet guides ?? Am I reading this right ?? Please confirm if this is what happened, because I'm really feeling sick right now.

Also kang roy why would you quote the WHOLE guide and then ask "Could this way to restore the data again arriving in the hdd?" I mean what a stupid question. After NUMEROUS people have confirmed fixing their hard drives with the guide, you still don't believe people or something ?? And even if you wanted to ask that, you don't have to post the guide.

Edited by the$#!Za.

mundy5 are you telling me that you sent your Seagate hard drive to Seagate's hard drive recovery Department which is i365 and they said that they couldn't fix it and it didn't work ?? Then you fixed the hard drive YOURSELF using internet guides ?? Am I reading this right ?? Please confirm if this is what happened, because I'm really feeling sick right now.

You read my post correctly. I was able to restore the functionality of the drive which i365 claimed was inaccessible. I was then able to backup all the data and flash the new firmware. Shame on i365.

And to those Seagate employees who have registered here pretending they're an end user and sticking up for Seagate, PLEASE, I dare you, to bring me a story of another Hard Drive company that has faulted to this extent, with SO MANY people affected it by it, and still SO MANY more to come. Whatever story you tell me, I can guarantee you it hasn't affected as much people as this Seagate fault has. I have searched and searched for something as big as this Seagate fault and I can only find small problems compared to this world wide Seagate anger.

Though I am not eligible as "undercover Seagate employee" ;), I can tell you a story :whistle: :

DeskStar/DeathStar

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hitachi_Deskstar

We had a report from a satisfied guy that got the drive repaired for free by i365

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...807&st=2356

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...807&st=2358

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...807&st=2360

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...807&st=2361

but I don't think he is an i365 "undercover agent".

@mundy5

I presume a "glitch in the matrix" :blink: , I guess that a single mistake can happen, nothing like the thousands (or tens or hundreds of thousands) bricked drives originating from Seagate mistake. (and as said many times, by the absolute unhelpfulnness of their asssistance :realmad: )

jaclaz

You read my post correctly. I was able to restore the functionality of the drive which i365 claimed was inaccessible. I was then able to backup all the data and flash the new firmware. Shame on i365.

Very strange indeed! One would think that Seagate's own data recovery service would know how to recover the data on their own products, especially when only looking at the label (7200.11 SD15) should ring all alarm bells. :rolleyes:

Edited by MadOCer

Just tried the Fujitsu (Siemens) update utility for my FSC OEM drive.

The SW refomates an USB Stick to EXT2 (so just saying 1,7GB free space needed is understatet because the whole stick content is deleted), and installs a CentOS boot image on the stick.

The flash uitlity itself says "for internal use only" and "Beta 0.2".

The funny thing is: it seems that the flash utility finds the drive and says: "No update required" !!!

Of course I can not tell if this is intended or a bug. A have also to say that I do not have a FSC computer and if the SW says "for internal use only" it might be that it works only on certain HW. However CentOS itself dedected hardware without a flaw (as far as I could read the boot messags).

Since the update tool seems to be from end of 2009, the new firmware FSC7 should contain the fix for boot of death...

Looks like I need to find another solution ;-).

regards

Chilli

Just tried the Fujitsu (Siemens) update utility for my FSC OEM drive.

The SW refomates an USB Stick to EXT2 (so just saying 1,7GB free space needed is understatet because the whole stick content is deleted), and installs a CentOS boot image on the stick.

The flash uitlity itself says "for internal use only" and "Beta 0.2".

The funny thing is: it seems that the flash utility finds the drive and says: "No update required" !!!

Of course I can not tell if this is intended or a bug. A have also to say that I do not have a FSC computer and if the SW says "for internal use only" it might be that it works only on certain HW. However CentOS itself dedected hardware without a flaw (as far as I could read the boot messags).

Since the update tool seems to be from end of 2009, the new firmware FSC7 should contain the fix for boot of death...

Looks like I need to find another solution ;-).

regards

Chilli

Maybe there is away around the detection problem. ;)

Hi Guys,

Been a keen reader of this forum for some time, and finally joined up...

Got a problem here with my 1TB 7200.11, and the response from the Terminal when connected is:

RST 0x20m
(P) SATA RESET
LED 000000CC FADDR: 0024CDC9

From reading, and correct me if i'm wrong, but it seems as the terminal is locked?

Now, i've looked at my PCB and it's different to both photo's which are posted here, illustrating the points which i need to connect to enable the terminal use.

Could anyone kindly take a look and let me know which pins i need to be shorting out? (This is my PCB)

seagate_pcb.jpg

Many thanks,

Dean

Rousie, from your picture, you will need to unscrew the bottom 3 Torx screws. Then you will want to put in a cardboard or business card where the top middle one is at.

Btw, when I wait too long after the HDD powers up, I get the same error. So wait until you are ready and then power up the HDD with the sata power connector. Then wait until it quiets down before you start the procedure.

No need to short the pins then?

I thought the Card trick and shorting of the Read Channel Pins were different things? If not, then i'll start right away.

Been preparing my desk for the past hour, couple of machines running and cables at the ready :)

I thought the Card trick and shorting of the Read Channel Pins were different things? If not, then i'll start right away.

Been preparing my desk for the past hour, couple of machines running and cables at the ready :)

I'm not sure what you mean by shorting the pins? Can you elaborate? I do not recall doing this in my attempt.

"Card trick" on the head connector and short cutting ist the same. The short cut also only "wipes out" the heads.

For many drives the cardboard trick for either the head connector or the motor connector works.

But there are some reffered to as "locked in" that do not communicat anymore as soon as you power them with a cardboard on either of the connectors.

For these there was the short cut invented, which has to be applied at a certain time.

However if you manage to disonnect the head connector at this certain time it does the same.

Regards

Chilli

Edited by Chilli

Hi.

Just to tell I had a ST3500620AS "bricked". With the help of this topic I put it working. :)

So thanks to the author. :)

All I need now is a bootable CD to uptdate my firmware. All I found on Seagate'site is SD1A firmware (.exe file) and an ISO file which do not contain any firmware. How can I proceed. I'm completely stuck. :(

Sorry for my, very, bad english. Of course my first language is french! :o

Edited by coplan27