The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

2.> Do I need to add power ( 3.3v) to other pins

No, if the loopback tests work and you get the messages the thingy is working. (unless for some reason the interfacce TTL levels is not adequate, i.e. the Rx "understands" the data sent by the PCB, but the "Tx" is not understood by the PCB. :unsure:)

Yes and no. In this casewhere you already do receive it should also work the other way.

If the power you use for the HDD and the PC with the USB cable is not the same you propably do not have a common ground.

I connected my Srerial TTL cable to the HDD GND (the jumper pin right next to the Rx TX pins of the HDD).

Ofcourse you can olny do that if you have potential free power supplies (which is standard) otherwise *BOOM*

Regards

Chilli

I measured the Voltates

GND and TX - 3.2 Volts

GND and RX - 3.1 Volts

The Power to HDD is coming from PC's SMPS, and USB is connected to Same PC, also I have connected the USB Cable GND to HDD GND

When i Put a insulation between PCB and HDD, i.e. for Motor Pins or Other Pins ( rectangular set) , I am not getting any data from the HDD to terminal

Only when i remove the insulation i keep getting

LED: 000000CC FAddr:0024900D from Hdd every minute.....

I tried

1) Loosen all screws and lift PCB and remount the PCB

2) Loosen all screws so far that the head connector is dissconnected.

3) Tighten only the head connector screw so that it get's contact again

4) Supply power to the disc, wait until you get the LED: blablabla message

5) Keep sending Ctrl z ( z in lowercase) had also tried Z in uppercase

( i kept sending for 3 minutes but i could not see the prompt at all )

the prompt keeps on alluding me.......

So you never see a prompt, not even (all connectors connected) when sending countinously CTRL z at startup?

If you use Hyperterminal, Ctrl z should be fine.

If you are using another terminal, can you send ASCII (026) dec? Not that some terminal emulation does not allow Ctrl z...

As far as I see there only three possibilities:

1) Your drive can not "hear" you

2) You do not physikally send Ctrl z

3) Your drive has a problem that has nothing to do with the BSY bug even if symptoms are similar.

What you can try:

Use another terminal programm or play with terminal adjustments (emultaion adjusttmens - baud rate etc. must be OK if you can receive

Use another cable for serial level conversion (or check yours with Osci/level converter to insure it sends what you want to send)

Send the drive to me ;-)

Has anybody flahed a OEM drive with Seagate firmware yet?

Is there a tool to read out SW?

Since you can update firmware at all, configuration data for seagate firmware seems always to be at the same addresses.

I would guess that the same applies also for OEM firmaware. But a risk is still there.

I'm afraid this topic has to wait for the next weekend :) (Spent much too much time on in this one).

Greeetings

Chilli

As I said, you can always try to contact Seagate. They should be able AND WILLING, to support you, considering it was THEIR fault that these drives drop like flies. They should be able to get you either the program for your specific firmware, or a flash-program that doesn't check for the part number AND FW revision.

Maybe you'll have to be quite persistent, though, to make them help you.

Was just about to write to Seagate support but did not submit because I did not have seial number at the hand.

But in the meanwhile I stumbeled about an update for the FSC6 SW (FSC7)

http://support.ts.fujitsu.com/Download/Sho...FD-453D2011317F

The strange thing is why their update SW needs 1,7GByte(!) when unpacked on the stick...

Hope this will not come up with "This is no FSC system"... :)

If it where so, there is an 50% chance that I can pick up the binary from the FSC image and palm it off to the Seagate flahs utility. But there's a 99% chance tht I don't have time for it ;-).

Hope I have time for trying the FSC way of flashing this evening.

Regards

Chilli

BTW, I just unpacked the Seagate flash files for my ES.2 drive and from the looks of it the error message about "wrong model" etc. could be pretty simply circumvented. Didn't try it yet, because I don't need to ATM, but as I said, it looks pretty simple.

I dont know where custom vendor firmware differs from standard Seagate firmware.

There is a very little chance that there is a different EEPROM mapping for different firmware versions.

However since ICT and EOL calibration data will be in the same area for all models the firmware should be able to rebuild EEPROM data if the checksum fails.

(Note I don't knwo where all the data is stored I just call it EEPROM. Could be flash or somewhere else...).

So my first step is trying to flash FSC software because the risk and my working time will be minimum.

Regards

Stephan

The strange thing is why their update SW needs 1,7GByte(!) when unpacked on the stick...

:w00t:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asterix#Humour

SPQF

Sono Pazzi Questi Fujitsiani

These guys from Fujitsu must be crazy!

1.7 Gb is roughly the amount you can have three Linux distro's an three or four PE versions (a couple of which choking full of apps).

jaclaz

Just for fun so to speak:

Anyone knows more about, or already used the following command (from the full comand list)?

Level 4 u: Rev 0001.0000, Overlay, SetSkSpeed, u[Opts],[skSpeed]

Looks like the not supported AAM function to me. But I could be wrong. Isn't accoustic management setting the seek speed in values from 0x80 (dec 128) to 0xFE (dec 254)?

Would really like to try that one. But I think I won't do it on one of my good drives. And unfortunately I don't really know what the "Opts" stands for and what value to use for "SkSpeed".

I did open up a defective 7200.11 today though (turned out to have a defective head on the upper platter that made the drive not spin up correctly and emmit a horrible whine while trying to spin up), which I could use for those kind of tests. :D Of course given it still somehow works more or less after I reassemble it.

Edited by MadOCer

hI

thanks for this thread, i was able to unbrick my drive, the only stupid thing which i was doing wrong was connecting

tx from USB cable to GND pin of HDD, it was 3.00 am in early morning and i was eager to solve the HDD problem.

But later in day, when i verified the connections , i was able to get prompt and run the commands

only hiccup was @ m0 command during which i did not power cycle and it was stuck for around 5 min

after which i repeated from step 1 and did a power cycle before m0 command and everything went perfect

Now that i have unbricked my 7200.11 500GB ST3500820AS FIRMWARE SD35

I am confused if i should upgrade its firmware, or how long its going to remain stable.

anyone with SD35 firmware having any problems after unbricking

Anybody has found the unreleased firmware update for SD35, rumours its called SD3B....

Hi all, i'm new of this forums :)

I've read all this topic but i still have problem with my 7200.11 hd :(

The HD is in bsy mode.

I've tried with a RS232-TTL ADAPTER and TELNET (Putty or HyperTerminal) with no response.

The i used the paper method on motor contacts with the following results:

F3 T>

(i don't remember now cause i'm at work, but here i've removed the paper from motor contacts as the guide of gradius2 show)

F3 T>/2

F3 2>Z

Spin Down Complete

Elapsed Time 10.163 secs

F3 2>U

Spin Up Complete

Elapsed Time 21.017 secs

F3 2>/1

F3 1>N1

Unable to load Diag Overlay

F3 1>

The problem is the message "Unable to load Diag Overlay".

Any idea??

PS: Excuse me for bad english :(