The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

To Twittwilly:

Uhmm.. Ok, my bad! :)

I was confused from your previous posts, sorry.

Have you tried to connect GND to the harddrive as well?

I recall having issues getting communication from the harddrive until i connected Gnd.

However, i did get response from it, but just barely.. (I think i got an arrow pointing right).

Connecting Gnd solved it, there is apparently two gnd, power gnd and data gnd.

I connected power gnd, Black in my case but other has reported that they have used data gnd (yellow) successfully.

Yes, the hard drive is grounded, as well as the battery pack. Here's how I'm doing it. Let me know if I've set it up incorrectly:

The RED wire is connected to the battery pack's positive. The BLACK wire is connected to the battery pack's negative. The black wire is fitted with a female crimp connection pin that is shown in Nitrohelix's YouTube tutorial. To that I then attached an extension ground wire from the battery pack over to the HD. When the cable is connected to the USB port it is recognized by the computer as a "Nokia CA-42 USB" on COM 3.

Just as an interesting sidenote:

After I uninstalled the driver you suggested, I restarted the computer and reconnected the cable. When it came up on device manager it was showing as a CA-42 modem tied into COM 3. But nothing was showing on COM 3 itself.

I had to go into REGEDIT to delete all of the Nokia registry entries before i was able to get everythng back to where it was prior to the installation of that driver.

Just for the heck of it, I tried the yellow wire ground option.

When I connected and set up Hyperterminal I started to get a series of symbol characters appearing on the Hyperterminal screen, just automatically entering without any input from me.

I disconnected the yellow wire at this point.

To Twittwilly:

You´re receiving a lot of "junk" characters?

Check you settings, i guess you already got them set to: 38400-n-1 Flowcontrol: none.

I think you should reconnect the yellow cable again, it seems like you almost got it.

OK...I've tried...still no communication with Hyperterminal.

Here's what's happening:

With the yellow wire connected to the ground to the Seagate HD, with just the power to the battery pack connected, I get an automatic flow of "junk" characters on the Hyperterminal display.

I leave the yellow wire connected to the ground and remove the CA-42 from USB port.

I then power up the HD, wait for the complete spin-down and reconnect the CA-42 to the USB port.

I then go into Hyperterminal, enter all of the settings and attempt to enter ctrl-z....NOTHING

When I go back into device manager, it tells me the modem is working properly and is enabled.

+1 for another success story!!!

thankyou to Gradius and all involved in this thread!!!

I used a CA-42 Cable bought online for £12.50

When it arrived it was different from what most people seemed to have recieved in this thread, however after reading through the entire thread i found this guy who recieved the same one as me and posted detailed pics of how he set his up. ( thanks gnakh )

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=884790

Ultimately i followed CarterinCanada method at http://www.mapleleafmountain.com/seagatebrick.html , its very informative of what exactly you are doing and found it very easy to follow.

One thing i will say is the first time i try to spin the drive up I got this error message.

Error 1009 DETSEC 00006008

Spin Error

Elapsed Time 13.550 secs

R/W Status 2 R/W Error 84150180

I solved this my issolating the MOTOR CONTACTS instead of the HEAD CONTACTS

If you have this problem with your drive I seriously recommend you give it a go. Take your time, make sure you do a looptest before conntecting to your drive, tripple check plus more to make sure the commands you enter are correct before pressing enter!

Anyone in Northern Ireland who needs my device or assistance, PM me

Good luck and thanks!

Ultimately i followed CarterinCanada method at http://www.mapleleafmountain.com/seagatebrick.html , its very informative of what exactly you are doing and found it very easy to follow.
I solved this my issolating the MOTOR CONTACTS instead of the HEAD CONTACTS

Which is EXACTLY what the guide by CarterinCanada says to do. :whistle:

jaclaz

To Twittwilly:

You´re receiving a lot of "junk" characters?

Check you settings, i guess you already got them set to: 38400-n-1 Flowcontrol: none.

I think you should reconnect the yellow cable again, it seems like you almost got it.

OK...I've tried...still no communication with Hyperterminal.

Here's what's happening:

With the yellow wire connected to the ground to the Seagate HD, with just the power to the battery pack connected, I get an automatic flow of "junk" characters on the Hyperterminal display.

I leave the yellow wire connected to the ground and remove the CA-42 from USB port.

I then power up the HD, wait for the complete spin-down and reconnect the CA-42 to the USB port.

I then go into Hyperterminal, enter all of the settings and attempt to enter ctrl-z....NOTHING

When I go back into device manager, it tells me the modem is working properly and is enabled.

While continuing to tinker with this CA-42 connection set-up, I reverted back to the black wire ground connection to the Seagate HD. I powered up the Seagate HD, waited for the spin-down, connected the CA-42, went into Hyperterminal, entered the settings and clicked OK. Immediately, there appeared a short blurb related to CA-42 cable info on the screen with the blinking cursor below it (the first time that's ever happened). But when I attempted to enter ctrl-Z, I was met with failure once again. I then set up a new connection, same COM ports, same settings, etc. But, on this second try the blurb didn't show up. Despite numerous tries on both black and yellow wires, I wasn't able to repeat it.

At this point, the only thing I can come up with is that I must have either caused some type of short or connection damage on the cable's CB when I

cut away the inner white plastic covering. So, I've ordered a new one (same type from the same company).

Hi all. (First of all, excuse my english, im spanish)

This is my: "big BUT"

I have fixed my STM3500320AS (Maxtor DiamondMax 22) with CA-42 and Hyperterminal succesfully. The HDD is accesible again and I got all my files and OS partitions back perfectly. This HDD runs OS again, no problems at boot time. All perfect.

And now, i wan to update the firmware to prevent future fails. Ok... BUT

My BIOS do not detect the STM3500320AS, even with brick problem fixed (BSY and Ogb)!!! So...

If BIOS cant detect HDD, How the hell im going to use Seagate Firmware update softwares??? No Seagate firmware update software can find my hard disk without previous BIOS detection, i guess. Im right? Some people say i have to set SATA mode to IDE in BIOS config, and i did it, and it doesnt work.

I know many people are in the same situation:

BSY and 0gb fixed via hyperterminal, but hdd still undetectable by BIOS, so cant update the firmware.

Please, help me.

What can i do to get my HDD detected again by BIOS? Need it at all for firmware update, and im turning crazy.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by luisserrano.net

I know many people are in the same situation:

BSY and 0gb fixed via hyperterminal, but hdd still undetectable by BIOS, so cant update the firmware.

You mean the HDD is detected and works OK from within Windows, but is not seen by the BIOS, is that it?

What machine do you have? Are you using the latest available BIOS version for it?

And, BTW, welcome to MSFN, luisserrano.net!

You mean the HDD is detected and works OK from within Windows, but is not seen by the BIOS, is that it?

What machine do you have? Are you using the latest available BIOS version for it?

And, BTW, welcome to MSFN, luisserrano.net!

Thanks dencorso. That is it. Windows detect HDD perfectly and work fine, although DriveDetect.exe (from Seagate) over windows cant rescue serial number or revision, and show this info:
"Index out of range exception caught. The devide id string was unreadable by DriveDetect"
My MainBoard is an ASUS Maximus Formula II with BIOS up to date. Is it about my mainboard? Please feel free to ask me anything you find usefull about my pc specs.

Any clue?

Thanks again. Ill be over here.

Edited by luisserrano.net

Welcome all!

I have problem with my ST3500320AS. A week ago it suddenly stopped and was not recognised in BIOS. With use of TTL terminal it got back to life. It had firmware SD15. I decided to update this firmware to SD1A, I made a backup of all data and started the Seagate FW Update Utility from seagate website. I didn't burn the ISO image and didn't use this solution cause I didn't have clean CD ;) After starting this seagate application the computer got restarted and the update application started, it found proper HDD and started to copy files. Afters couple of second the process was over, but the application didn't finish, instead the loader started again. It showed that the FW was updated to SD1A and didn't copy the update files. And it was going on and over again. After that I burnt the boot CD using the image downloaded from seagate website and set boot priority to CD. The application started, found the HDD and updated the firmware to SD1A, then it shut down the computer. So everything went ok, just like in the instruction. But when it set back the boot priority to HDD the previous FW update application starts back again and repeats all the time.

Is there any solution to bring the HDD back to life? I didn't check if its "visible" on other computer. Is there a way to get rid of this update application? Thanks for any advice.

Guest NYCharacter

$40 BSY Recovery!

Ok, so, thanks to this forum I have just unbricked my third Seagate Barracuda drive with the BSY problem.

Since I have the knowledge and hardware already I am willing to sell my services. For a meager $40 plus shipping I would be happy to recover your drive.

If interested please e-mail me at [removed]

$40 BSY Recovery!

Ok, so, thanks to this forum I have just unbricked my third Seagate Barracuda drive with the BSY problem.

Since I have the knowledge and hardware already I am willing to sell my services. For a meager $40 plus shipping I would be happy to recover your drive.

Read carefully Rules of the Board, please:

http://www.msfn.org/board/forum-rules-upda...ead-t18408.html

Particularly #13:

13. No user shall, by any means:

1. Sell, trade, or give away hardware, software, or any other goods whatsoever.
  2. Offer any type of paid service or services to other members of the community. Offering any type of service in exchange for other goods or services is also not permitted.
  3. Directly request donations or otherwise solicit forum members for financial assistance. If you have an external site, attachment, download or other such resource for which you would like to solicit donations, references or links to external sites that give information on where a member might donate are acceptable, but linking directly to PayPal or otherwise directly soliciting members is not tolerated. The only exceptions to this rule are for member projects directly hosted by MSFN, or for projects where MSFN hosts the main support forums for member projects.

MSFN does not support any type of trade and shall not be held accountable. Any violation of this rule may result in an immediate ban with no further warning.

jaclaz

but now i got it and i can see a mark: "3V" on the ttl-converter.

i successfully made the looptest but is it generally possible to use 3V adapter? i think not, can someone give me the answer?

bye

NO you cannot./YES you can.

If it works with 3V use it, if it doesn't give it the PROPER voltage/power.

Be smart, and use THREE 1.5 V batteries, a 5 V thingy will work 99% with 4.5 V.

A 5V thingy, RARELY works properly with 3 V, expecially if the batteries are a bit low and are around 2.9 V, there are a few users that had problems by underpowering the device.

The actual chips (example MAX232) can be of the 5V or of the 3.3 V type, 3V usually works for the 3.3V one, but if the interface is designed to be powered at 5 V has probably a resistor or a regulator to drop down the voltage from 5 V to 3.3 V, if you feed it with barely 3 V it may drop well below an acceptable voltage for the chip to work "properly" or "reliably".

A loopback test may work AND the actual thing may not, as the HD circuit might have an inner resistance/impedance that may further lower the level of signals.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz