The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

Hi everyone,

My Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500Gb decided to get into a "permanently nap" due to the firmware error.

I made my own USB to TTL and was able to follow the steps until

F3 1>N1 (enter)

Next, i remove the power plug from my HDD and wait over 10sec (20s better), then, I and plug it on again and wait another 10 seconds

In HyperTerminal, i press Ctrl+Z to get the

F3 1>

input again but nothing happens. If i do it with PCB board out of the HDD (like in the first steps) i get the prompt.

So, what i'm doing wrong?

I tried to boot the disc and in the BIOS i get the 0gb label, so i must use the

F3 T>m0,2,2,,,,,22 (enter)

command. But i can't get to that step due to the issue after mentioned.

Also, i tried to run HyperTerminal with the PCB unmounted, stropping the disc motor (Z command), mounting the PCB again, starting the disc motor (U command) and then

F3 T>m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22 (enter)

but the disc don't do anything for over 1h.

I'm a bit frustrated and don't know what to do now.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Is this all I need to perform the fixes described here? I want to make sure I get the right thing. I believe I have a LBA0 error with my ST31000340AS as it has started spinning up, clicking for awhile, and spinning down. The Bios detects it but cannot determine the size.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FT232BM-BL-Seagate-Barracuda-7200-11-Firmware-Fix-tool-complete-USB-powered-/280748167812?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item415de51284

Thanks

Edited by basalt

Is this all I need to perform the fixes described here?

Yep, but you also need a desktop to supply power to the disk, or anyway a suitable power supply.

Use the mapleleaf guide:

http://www.mapleleafmountain.com/seagatebrick.html

I want to make sure I get the right thing. I believe I have a LBA0 error with my ST31000340AS as it has started spinning up, clicking for awhile, and spinning down. The Bios detects it but cannot determine the size.

If the size is detected as 0 then it is possible that it is a LBA0 problem, though there shouldn't be the "clicking for awhile".

jaclaz

Is this all I need to perform the fixes described here?

Yep, but you also need a desktop to supply power to the disk, or anyway a suitable power supply.

Use the mapleleaf guide:

http://www.mapleleafmountain.com/seagatebrick.html

I want to make sure I get the right thing. I believe I have a LBA0 error with my ST31000340AS as it has started spinning up, clicking for awhile, and spinning down. The Bios detects it but cannot determine the size.

If the size is detected as 0 then it is possible that it is a LBA0 problem, though there shouldn't be the "clicking for awhile".

jaclaz

Hmm, my disk my just be toast then, as the size is "unknown"?

I got 2 or 3 hard drives clicking and after 15-20 seconds turning off.

I fixed none of them. I suppose it is another kind of problem in the heads. I hope you will find a solution.

Edited by smandurlo

Hmm, my disk my just be toast then, as the size is "unknown"?

Impossible to say.

As explained in the read-me-first:

The intended Target:

The scope of a thread about problems of Seagate 7200.11 drives is to try and solve two specific problems:

1. BSY - or "busy" state
  2. LBA0 - or drive detected by BIOS with size 0

that are caused on a specific model (the 7200.11) by a specific firmware bug:

• bricking when drive is booted AND Event Log counter is at entry 320, or a multiple of it (i.e. satisfies the expression: ELaddress=320 + x*256 ).

More details here:

http://www.msfn.org/...ndpost&p=830530

(read about 40 posts starting from the above)

Please note how the 7200.11 is also marketed as Maxtor (Seagate and Maxtor are the "same" company nowadays), and also "branded" as HP, IBM and probably a number of other OEM brands.

The non-targets:

• ANY other problem regarding this specific hard disk model (Seagate 7200.11)
  • ANY problem regarding ANY hard disk BUT this specific one (Seagate 7200.11)
  • ANYTHING NOT listed as "target"

Notwithstanding the above, this info may be useful to solve a number of similar problems on a whole range of similar hard disks, but in this case information here needs to be checked and verified if applies to your different HD.

In other words your mileage may (and WILL) vary.

The procedure does act as a form of generic "reset", but this may cause - it depends from the actual CAUSE - to make things worse (i.e. make the disk irrecoverable by a pro even if "as is" it could be recovered :ph34r:).

Mind you it is possible that the disk can be recovered even eith this method (using some different set of commands) the whole point is that we have NO idea of the disgnosis, let alone the "cure". :(

jaclaz

Greetings all, just had to register to add my praise and thanks for the info here regarding the 7200.11 drives.

Here's the story...

At the end of March, my ST3500320AS decided not to play anymore, and being the trusting type and expecting some customer service I headed on over to the Seagate support site, downloaded SeaTools and ran it on the affected disk, it suggested I updated the firmware, so I did, was SD15 now SD1A and the drive was in the same state, Showing in BIOS but with 0 LBA. Contacting support produced the usual merry go round and finally an offer to replace the drive under warranty. No offer of fixing the drive and data recovery, if required, would be at the standard rates.

Researched on the Net and finally got to this board and this topic in particular. I was a little wary after reading the information to Not Update the Firmware (whoops! :blushing: ) but thought I'd give it a go anyhow.

I purchased the following FTDI Cable and followed the instructions for the 0LBA issue, and to my great surprise and relief, now have a fully functional drive with updated firmware and NO DATA LOSS :thumbup

I'm currently in the process of backing up the data and will be putting in place a regular backup schedule (should've done that a long time ago :whistle: )

Thanks again

Graham

Hi.

I think my drive has the BSY error but I'm not 100% sure. How can I tell?

The drive is a OEM Seagate Barracuda 7200.11, it worked perfectly for almost 2 years, but one day when I powered on my computer right after a power surge, it couldn't boot and always got stuck/frozen at the HP splash screen, and none of the keys to access the bios and other options worked. However, if I disconnect the hard drive from the motherboard I can get to the bios/options and I get the common message no bootable disk found, etc. I tried installing the hard drive into another computer to see if it could boot or if at least the disk showed up within a different disk with Windows. The good disk can't boot properly if the bad disk is also installed, the computer keeps trying to access the bad drive (I suppose) for some minutes and then there's a message that tells no operating system could be found. I have to use a multi boot bios option to select manually the good disk to boot to Windows. The bad disk didn't show up in the Device Manager. I also tried a linux live cd and SeaTools DOS and neither could find the bad drive. However, I can hear the bad hard drive working and spinning when it's connected and the machine powered on. How do I know if this problem is due to the BSY bug or if it's something else? Nothing can see/read the hard drive, but it keeps spinning and when connected some unusual behavior is present in the machine. Should I try the fix from this thread even if I'm not completely sure if it's the firmware problem what I have?

Thank you.

what is your firmware?

is it spinning up properly and it keeps to stay turned on?

do u hear any strange sounds?

Hi. The firmware is HP24, I just checked and the disk keeps spinning the whole time. I noticed some sounds only when powering the hard drive (unlike the good drive which is nearly silent the whole time) but they seem like common sounds and they only last about 2 or 3 seconds.

Hi. The firmware is HP24, I just checked and the disk keeps spinning the whole time. I noticed some sounds only when powering the hard drive (unlike the good drive which is nearly silent the whole time) but they seem like common sounds and they only last about 2 or 3 seconds.

Keep ONLY the Seagate drive and do this test again. If the drive spins up and u hear just the sound of heads parking (1 time), then the drive is in BUSY state. The HP24 suffers of this problem. I fixed 4-5 of them.

I suggest u the avico way at pag. 27

After this fix u can get your data back. When u finish, please use the update HP tool to upgrade at HP26 firware that has claimed not to have this problem.

Hi guys,

My ST31500341AS hard drive just failed today. The firmware as stated on the HD is SD17 and I don't recall flashing newer firmware onto it. I was playing some games online when I heard a strange hum coming from my computers case. I thought it was just a fan going bad or something so I finished up my game and then went back to my desktop. The hum was a lot louder than when it first started and one of my HDs was missing from my HD widget, so I decided to turn off my computer. When I tried turning it back on, it took longer than normal and the problematic drive didn't boot. It spun up, clicked 11 times, and then spun down. I can't get it recognized by the BIOS. I'm guessing that this is a BSY error.

Will this guide help me recover my data?

Thanks

Edited by Paradine

I was playing some games online when I heard a strange hum coming from my computers case. I thought it was just a fan going bad or something so I finished up my game and then went back to my desktop. The hum was a lot louder than when it first started and one of my HDs was missing from my HD widget, so I decided to turn off my computer. When I tried turning it back on, it took longer than normal and the problematic drive didn't boot. It spun up, clicked 11 times, and then spun down. I can't get it recognized by the BIOS. I'm guessing that this is a BSY error.

Your drive has a severe mechanical failure.