The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

I have tried these instructions several times for size = 0 problem and I am getting somewhat different results:

F3 2>Z

Spin Down Complete

Elapsed Time 10.583 secs

F3 2>U

Spin Up Complete

Elapsed Time 6.305 secs

F3 2>/1

F3 1>N1

F3 1>/T

F3 T>m0,2,2,,,,,22

Max Wr Retries = 00, Max Rd Retries = 00, Max ECC T-Level = 14, Max Certify Rewrite Retries = 00C8

User Partition Format Successful - Elapsed Time 0 mins 00 secs

F3 T>

You can see the results of the m0,2,2,,,,,22 command is different. The results of this command did not return the second line of the expected results.

EXPECTED RESULTS

Max Wr Retries = 00, Max Rd Retries = 00, Max ECC T-Level = 14, Max Certify Rewrite Retries = 00C8

User Partition Format 3% complete, Zone 00, Pass 00, LBA 00004AA5, ErrCode 000

00080, Elapsed Time 0 mins 30 secs

User Partition Format Successful - Elapsed Time 0 mins 30 secs

ACTUAL RESULTS

F3 T>m0,2,2,,,,,22

User Partition Format Successful - Elapsed Time 0 mins 00 secs

I did not get the line:

User Partition Format 3% complete, Zone 00, Pass 00, LBA 00004AA5, ErrCode 000

00080, Elapsed Time 0 mins 30 secs

Does anybody have any ideas?

Huck

I don't see a problem the only difference is the 3% complete in the first page of the long thread it also shows this as 10% someone was able to "catch" it before it completed. The results you have seem to be correct from the posted instructions does the drive now work ?

I refer you back to page 1 of this thread NOW I copy/paste from this page below: and you see the very top line below that's the exact same results you have ! The other 2nd line is only additional info the poster was able to catch not every single person is able to see that. The 3rd line is the important info. I agree you have 00 for both results maybe it was just that fast ? or like many so many others you missed some step and need to try again.

User Partition Format 10% complete, Zone 00, Pass 00, LBA 00004339, ErrCode 00000080, Elapsed Time 0 mins 05 secs

User Partition Format Successful - Elapsed Time 0 mins 05 secs

Huck

I don't see a problem the only difference is the 3% complete in the first page of the long thread it also shows this as 10% someone was able to "catch" it before it completed. The results you have seem to be correct from the posted instructions does the drive now work ?

I refer you back to page 1 of this thread NOW I copy/paste from this page below: and you see the very top line below that's the exact same results you have ! The other 2nd line is only additional info the poster was able to catch not every single person is able to see that. The 3rd line is the important info. I agree you have 00 for both results maybe it was just that fast ? or like many so many others you missed some step and need to try again.

User Partition Format 10% complete, Zone 00, Pass 00, LBA 00004339, ErrCode 00000080, Elapsed Time 0 mins 05 secs

Networks,

No, it still won't work. Same problem size = 0. I think the Elapsed Time of zero is significant. I have tried this four times with the same results. I have read the Read-Me-First sticky and (I believe) follow the directions as written. It happens so fast that I don't believe it is actually formatting anything. I am out of ideas and could use some help.

I believe I have the BSY error on my drive.

I was following this guide: http://sites.google.com/site/seagatefix/

I am using this adapter: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003SLRUOM

The loop back test on the adapter is successful

When I connect everything BEFORE i turn the power on the drive but after the power cable is connected to the drive my putty screen streams random characters (same in hyper terminal).

Once i turn the power on to the drive the random characters stop, but I never get a response to the ctrl+z

I am not sure where to go from here...

edit: I added a ground wire from the USB adapter to the drive, this eliminated the random characters, however I still get no response at all from the ctrl+z

Edited by daemorok

I am willing to give $5 CAD to anyone via Paypal who provides a working solution, other than sending it to Seagate. This will be sorted by post date too and I can only donate if I can do it using a guest Paypal account.

BlouBul below me pointed me in the right direction. Thanks a lot! My solution is posted below in my next post should anybody with a similar problem want to know how it's done.

I require some help. After I typed N1 and pressed enter, I unplugged the sata power to the drive, waited 10 seconds, plugged it back in but now the terminal isn't responding.

I have searched through many pages and I cannot find a solution.

I am not sure if it's safe to unplug/plug it back in again after I have already done it once.

I am also not sure if I should restart the process again from the beginning,

For the record, my 500GB drive has a firmware of SD15 and it has the BSY error. I am using a DKU-5 cable with colours white, red, blue, yellow, and green. The white cable is the ground, the blue cable is the rx, and the red cable is the tx. The yellow and green are unused, not even connecting them to a 3v battery. Though, I don't think the cable is the problem, since I got to the N1 stage.

For now, I am leaving the hard drive spinning on this step for safety until I get a solid response.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by 123man

After I typed N1 and pressed enter, I unplugged the sata power to the drive, waited 10 seconds, plugged it back in but now the terminal isn't responding.

I have searched through many pages and I cannot find a solution.

I am not sure if it's safe to unplug/plug it back in again after I have already done it once.

I am also not sure if I should restart the process again from the beginning,

Just carefully try the whole fix again from the beginning exactly as described here http://mapleleafmountain.com/seagatebrick.html. If it still doesn't work, try the optional commands given by Aviko here

You can try it as many time as you want till you do it right and it worksnewwink.gif

Thanks to BlouBul for pointing me in the right direction!

Hard drive fixed! Here is the problem and solution.

Hard drive: 500gb 7200.11

Firmware: SD15

Problem: BSY error, TERMINAL NOT RESPONDING/ UNRESPONSIVE TERMINAL after N1 and unplugging the hard drive and plugging it back in.

Tools used:

DKU-5 cable

Wire colours red blue white yellow and green. With this colour setup:

white is ground.

blue is RX.

red is TX.

YELLOW AND GREEN WERE COMPLETELY UNUSED. Not even used to power with 3V.

Unused computer case front panel connectors

I removed the black plastic casing for the connectors (there is a little black tab you can lift with a small flathead and pull out the wires. I then wrapped the ends in black electrical tape.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_iEh-WLXnVwk/SarEEn2yiyI/AAAAAAAAAIo/vfmCyRseBxo/s800/Seagate%20Fix%20024.JPG

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_iEh-WLXnVwk/SarEEuM7zkI/AAAAAAAAAIw/zfdU-Vm1djM/s800/Seagate%20Fix%20025.JPG

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_iEh-WLXnVwk/SarEE1AIdDI/AAAAAAAAAI4/mYcgYU-Wuaw/s800/Seagate%20Fix%20026.JPG

(These aren't my pictures)

Black electrical tape

Torx screwdriver

Windows XP with hyperterminal

Solution

Thanks to BlouBul for pointing me to Aviko's post here:

I did the procedure as usual, but I added Aviko's optional F712 commands, since I was on a 500gb hard drive. The real difference is that I DID NOT UNPLUG/TURN OFF THE HARD DRIVE UNTIL AFTER THE m0 COMMAND.

I can confirm that my hard drive is now working from only unplugging the hard drive once AT THE VERY END.

Now time to back up everything. I hope

Source used (for pictures)

http://sites.google.com/site/seagatefix/

Edited by 123man

Thanks to BlouBul for pointing me in the right direction!

Hard drive fixed!

You are welcome smile.gif Glad you managed to fix it thumbup.gif

DKU-5 cable

Wire colours red blue white yellow and green. With this colour setup:

white is ground.

blue is RX.

red is TX.

YELLOW AND GREEN WERE COMPLETELY UNUSED. Not even used to power with 3V.

Just for the record, the colours are not important as different manufacturers uses different colours to confuse the poor people who try to identify wires by the colour method .ph34r.gif

A better method is given in the link in FGA #6 newwink.gif

Just for the record, the colours are not important as different manufacturers uses different colours to confuse the poor people who try to identify wires by the colour method

Naah, you are judging them unfairly. :(

Manufacturers use different colours as ther is NO "standard", they create a product and they are perfectly free to choose their own colour codes (or no code at all) . :thumbup

All the foolishness lies in the concept of colour coding being a standard :ph34r: as opposed to pinout (which OBVIOUSLY must be a standard).

@123man

Since you managed to get it done for free, you may give your "budget" of 5 bucks to a local charity...... :unsure:

jaclaz

Plz i have a serious problem with my HD.

my first connection on HyerTerminal was succesful i tape Z and the opération was terminated.after that i wasn't able to tape anything on HyerTerminal "U" "CTRL-z" and the HD dont turn anymore.

please help me

thanx

Hello Everyone.i'm a new comer wish you all have a great weekend :)

i have the same problem with my HDD and i've done exactly step by step from this topic.i think i also did everything right cos i had this promt after command m0,2,2,,,,,22

zone re-format was skipped

the difference is i have one more line "zone re-format was skipped" ad the end.

after that i turned off everything and connect my HDD to pc but it doesnt work. (the same state before i did this fix: bios doesnt regconize, cant boot...as you list in the topic)

i tried with the HDD box too.

anyone please help me what to do now?my hdd's firmware is SD17. does this fix work with SD17 firmware?

thanks in advance.

P/S: anyone doesnt see the promt in the quote after type the command "m0,2,2,,,,,22" please be patient cos the time the promt shows maybe take longer with difference hard drive (mine took 20mins to show User Partition Format Successful... )

my hdd;

Seagate Barracuda 7200.11

ST31500341AS (1.5TB)

Firmware: SD17

Edited by nhocboy2003

i have the same problem with my HDD and i've done exactly step by step from this topic.

NO. :(

Meaning that you completely failed to read attentively the resources.

This model of hard disk may suffer from TWO distinct problems, BOTH talked about in this thread and in the read-me and in the FGA's. (besides a number of other problems that are NOT discussed/solved here).

There is a BSY problem and a LBA0 one.

Each have different symptoms and to each you need to apply it's specific "fix".

"BIOS can't recognize" may mean "BSY".

You seemingly applied the fix for LBA0. :w00t:

It's like you have a flu and decide to cure it by putting your left ankle in a plaster cast, it won't help much. :whistle: (on the other hand this cure may help if you have a broken left ankle ;))

jaclaz

@jaclaz

- BSY error: it happens when your HDD enter on a halt state, or BuSY state. In this condition, your HDD will not be recognized by BIOS at POST moment.

my HDD has the same with this state then i think i did the right fix for it ?

so can you please let me know what i should do now?thank you very much.

@jaclaz

- BSY error: it happens when your HDD enter on a halt state, or BuSY state. In this condition, your HDD will not be recognized by BIOS at POST moment.

my HDD has the same with this state then i think i did the right fix for it ?

so can you please let me know what i should do now?thank you very much.

Problem is that you did not detail WHICH of the two fixes you used (both involve a command m0,2,2,,,,,22)

YOU did not detail whether you removed the board or you used the paper strip to insulate a set of contacts.

Try again from scratch.

Read this before a new attempt:

http://www.mapleleafmountain.com/seagatebrick.html

You may want to try insulating the "other" set of contacts.

jaclaz