The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

again agagain and again still same problem. what can you refer to me. thanks for your support...

Ideas are going to end soon. :(:ph34r:

Are you trying insulating the head or the motor contacts? :unsure:

Whichever you are using now try with the OTHER set.

Then try again, reading from here:

Whatever contacts, are they "clean" and "springy", see here:

jaclaz

the motor contacts (3 pin) is soldered directly to the board. it is connected properly. and i measure it with ohmmeter. its ok. then i put plastic material to the other contacts and screwe the pcb on hdd body. then i connect power and communication cable to power supply and rs232 port with converter. opened hyperterminal and turn on power supply.

type Ctrl + Z and it shows F3 T>

typed /2 and enter

it shows F3 2>

wait more than 30 second

type Z and press enter

it shows

LED:000000CE FAddr:00280481

LED:000000CE FAddr:00280481 and they don't stop the disk

:(((((

the motor contacts (3 pin) is soldered directly to the board.

I think there is a misunderstanding.

Post a photo or a scan of the board (PCB).

In any case, if you are trying with the head contacts, try with the motor contacts, see here:

http://www.mapleleafmountain.com/seagatebrick.html

(Note: Some guides on the web have suggested insulating the *other* set of contacts (the "head" contacts) you see in the lower left of the above photo to the right. I tried this originally and it didn't work for me but obviously others have had some success with it. In *my* case, with 1TB model drives, I can assure you that insulating the slightly easier to access motor contacts worked where the head contacts method didn't. I suspect the specific model of your drive will account for the varying levels of the results so if one way doesn't work for you, think about trying the other. You'll know to look here if the HyperTerminal session won't allow you to spin down the drive and continues to give you the BSY error in reply - "LED:01...blah blah blah". If you're allowed to spin down the drive, then this bit isn't your issue.)

jaclaz

Hi, i am really confused

i've read this post and also this post

i then purchased this converter http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/260836151037?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649 and this cable http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/250653067355?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

ny steps:

1. connected the cable with the converter

2. performed the loopback test succesfully

3. connected the tx(hdd) to rx(converter), rx(hdd) to tx(converter), gnd(hdd) to gnd(converter), sata power supply from same pc and added the card on the motor

4. waited for the motor to stop

5. started hyperterminal or putty (under w7)

6. entered the correct values COM3, 38400, 8, 1, N, N and connectd

7. when i type Ctrl + z there is no response

8. reversed the rx and tx but i get the error with the weird characters

9. reversed again but no response

10. removed gnd no response

11. removed convertor's power supply got the error with the weird characters

(weird error)

post-331310-0-70514000-1314282631_thumb.

(my setup)

post-331310-0-09014200-1314283158_thumb.

post-331310-0-82500100-1314283165_thumb.

post-331310-0-19364500-1314283179_thumb.

any ideas apreciated

Seemingly your GROUND is ineffective. :ph34r:

Re-read attentively the Read-me-first and these posts:

from #3818 to at least #3834

From the pictures you posted seems like the ground from your PC PSU is NOT connected to the ground on the TTL side of the RS232-to-TTL adapter and of course to the ground of the whatever power supply actually powers the adapter itself.

Using a BLACK cable for ground make help conforming to the "universal" standard colopuring convention, from the pictures it seems like you are using the Black cable for Tx and the Yellow for ground :unsure: but this is obviously only an "esthetical" point.

Right now you seem like having:

1. PC PSU ground connected to the HD PCB through the SATA power cable
  2. PC PSU ground connected to the USB side of the USB-to-RS232 Serial converter through the USB cable
  3. PC PSU ground (maybe) connected to the RS232 side of the USB-to-RS232 Serial converter (internally in the USB-to-RS232 converter)
  4. PC PSU ground (maybe) connected to the RS232 side of the RS232-to-TTL converter (internally in the USB-to-RS232 converter)
  5. RS232-to-TTL power supply ground connected to the RS232-to-TTL converter
  6. RS232-to-TTL power supply ground (maybe) connected to the TTL side of the RS232-to-TTL converter (internally in the RS232-to-TTL converter)
  7. RS232-to-TTL ground connected to the PCB through the yellow :w00t: wire

Any (maybe) is not good. :(

jaclaz

Hello,

I'm another victim of the 7200.11 problem. 750GB OEM with my Gateway so out of luck. Drive is not seen in BIOS. I don't have a computer with serial ports so I ordered the following two adapters. Can anyone tell me if these will do the trick or not?

USB to serial adapter

Serial to TTL adapter

I obviously will hook up these up in "series" so to speak.

Any help or experience will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Ed

Any help or experience will be appreciated.

The USB to RS232 is OK :thumbup

The RS232 to USB seems OK :thumbupBUT from the scarce and confusing info on the site it is possible that you will have to power it at 3.3V (and NOT at 5 V) in order to obtain the needed 3.3 V TTL level.

In other words you will most probably need have to power it with an Orange cable coming from the PSU and NOT with a Red cable, similarly to the known "sparkfun" one mentioned in the Read-me-first (point #11):

jaclaz

In other words you will most probably need have to power it with an Orange cable coming from the PSU and NOT with a Red cable, similarly to the known "sparkfun" one mentioned in the Read-me-first (point #11):

Thanks. I will try the orange cable first. Parts are arriving tomorrow so I have my fingers crossed. Will report back..

Ed

Seemingly your GROUND is ineffective. :ph34r:

Re-read attentively the Read-me-first and these posts:

from #3818 to at least #3834

From the pictures you posted seems like the ground from your PC PSU is NOT connected to the ground on the TTL side of the RS232-to-TTL adapter and of course to the ground of the whatever power supply actually powers the adapter itself.

Using a BLACK cable for ground make help conforming to the "universal" standard colopuring convention, from the pictures it seems like you are using the Black cable for Tx and the Yellow for ground :unsure: but this is obviously only an "esthetical" point.

Right now you seem like having:

1. PC PSU ground connected to the HD PCB through the SATA power cable
  2. PC PSU ground connected to the USB side of the USB-to-RS232 Serial converter through the USB cable
  3. PC PSU ground (maybe) connected to the RS232 side of the USB-to-RS232 Serial converter (internally in the USB-to-RS232 converter)
  4. PC PSU ground (maybe) connected to the RS232 side of the RS232-to-TTL converter (internally in the USB-to-RS232 converter)
  5. RS232-to-TTL power supply ground connected to the RS232-to-TTL converter
  6. RS232-to-TTL power supply ground (maybe) connected to the TTL side of the RS232-to-TTL converter (internally in the RS232-to-TTL converter)
  7. RS232-to-TTL ground connected to the PCB through the yellow :w00t: wire

Any (maybe) is not good. :(

jaclaz

thanks for the help,

here is a new pic of my setup

post-331310-0-61118900-1314365560_thumb.

blue wire tx > rx

yellow wire rx > tx

black (on hdd) gnd to gnd connected with the red wire psu gnd

the power supply comes from a usb, when i try to gnd the - of the power supply i get the weird characters error else i don't get anything.

thanks, dimitris

blue wire tx > rx

yellow wire rx > tx

black (on hdd) gnd to gnd connected with the red wire psu gnd

the power supply comes from a usb, when i try to gnd the - of the power supply i get the weird characters error else i don't get anything.

thanks, dimitris

HMMM. :unsure:

You need to make sure that ALL (meaning ALL) 0V or grounds of ALL equipment involved is properly connected together.

You need to make sure that TX and RX DO NOT touch between them. (unless you try a loopback test - something that you did not specify - it is as well possible that the adapter is not good)

You are supposed to NOT get anything until you press CTRL+Z. (when connected to the HD PCB).

From the pictures you posted ALL connections, exception made for the TX/RX ones on the TTL side of the RS232-TTL converter look like badly done/insecure/not proper.

Since you have an available Molex connector, get the power (0V and +5V ) from it INSTEAD of the whatever "power supply comes from a usb" to power the RS232to TTL adapter.

Are you SURE that you got a 3.3V TTL converter (the page you mention - like most of the other similar ones seem like having been written by a headless chicken) it talks about 5 V logic, then about 3.3V one then about "Built with MAX3223/SP3223 from MAXIM/SIPEX/TI" but the picture is of a MAX232 which AFAIK is 5 V only. :w00t:

Check the actulal IC number on the chip on your adapter.

Verify that the Vcc pin gets 3.3 V (and NOT 5 V) if chip is a 3223.

Once verified the above do a loopback test.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

i got this message:

F3 1>N1

LED:000000CC FAddr:00243FCF

plzz help me. i need to recover my data.

:(:blushing:

Is this the SAME drive? :unsure::

plzz help my 500 gb is dead. i unbrick it & update its firmware. suddenly after some days its stop working now when i try to communicate with hyperterminal there is no response. the hard drive is spinning.

plzzz help me my important data is on HDD.

:(

jaclaz

UPDATE:

I successfully recovered my drive using all the information on this post. Thanks very much to everyone.

Only problem... there is no update available for my firmware. I have firmware version SD46 which isn't on the updateable list. Seagate website says to "contact us". Anyway, backed up the drive and installed a new Western Digital. All is good.

Thanks again.

Ed

UPDATE 2:

Seagate replied that my drive does not need to be updated. Version SD46 and was not affected by the issue discussed in this thread. Amazing... I guess it never happened. It must have been a bad dream.

Ed