The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

Maybe the HEAD contact was not right... now it must be, i resend the command?

Go back to /2 and see if you can spin up. No use to try and continue if you get an error there. Otherwise, just pull out the power now and redo the procedure.

Guys I've done it... Thanks for all the support! :D

BTW the intial problem was that the PSU didn't turn on... solved with a contact in MOBO connector...

@jaclaz [italian] tanto un giorno ti beccherò si spera, e quel giorno ti offrirò un bel birrozzo, grazie per tutto :) [/italian]

Guys I've done it... Thanks for all the support! :D

BTW the intial problem was that the PSU didn't turn on... solved with a contact in MOBO connector...

Another (italian) happy bunny in the basket! :)

@jaclaz [italian] tanto un giorno ti beccherò si spera, e quel giorno ti offrirò un bel birrozzo, grazie per tutto :) [/italian]

In the meantime, cheers.gif

jaclaz

Hi! Since I'm having trouble with my 500gb st3500320as drive and my pc is rather new, can I use the parallel

Port instead of a serial port? I started reading the forum but it is too long. Thank you!

So let me get it straight, if I order this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/USB-To-TTL-6-pin-Module-cp2102-arm9-max232-max2332-box_W0QQitemZ370386069604QQcategoryZ162QQvarZQQcmdZViewItem

I have only to connect the rx and tx and gnd with my Sata and follow the commands in the Hyperterminal? Or am I missing something?

Yes, AS LONG AS you power the drive with the SAME PSU of the computer to which you connect that USB-TTL converter.

Otherways you will need to GROUND the "other" PSU to the device (and GND of disk).

And of course BEFORE the above, you need to install the driver and verify the adapter through a loopback test.

Since you seemingly omitted to read the read-me-first, NOW could be the right time:

Do also read the FGA's:

jaclaz

Thank you! I have read the read-me-first and these were the parts I needed to clear out. I will connect the hdd to my pc power unit so I don't have to gnd the hdd and the USB-ttl if I got it right. I will order and come back if need anything. Thank you for your time!

Thank you! I have read the read-me-first and these were the parts I needed to clear out. I will connect the hdd to my pc power unit so I don't have to gnd the hdd and the USB-ttl if I got it right. I will order and come back if need anything. Thank you for your time!

No, you still have to ground the TTL thingy to the hard disk (the third wire besides Tx and Rx) to be on the safe side.

The idea is that the ground "0 level" of the PSU is connected to the USB port ground, the USB port ground is connected to the USB-TTL thingy ground and the USB-TTL thingy ground is connected to the hard disk "third pin" ground.

On the other "side of the loop, the ground "0 level" of the PSU is connected to the (black) wire part of the hard disk power connector.

Since the "third pin" ground is (internally to the hard disk PCB) connected to the (black) wire part of the hard disk power connector, the loop is closed.

In theory, if ONLY one power source (the PSU) is used, the "third pin is not *necessary*, but since it costs nothing (or next to nothing) to connect it too, why risk having a Hyperteminal full of garbage characters?

As always, remember ;):

- In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is. -

jaclaz

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I have a ST31500341AS drive with CC1H fw experiencing 0LBA error.

F3 T>m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22

Max Wr Retries = 00, Max Rd Retries = 00, Max ECC T-Level = 00, Max Certify Rewrite Retries = 0000

User Partition Format 3% complete, Zone 00, Pass 00, LBA 000322EB, ErrCode 00000080, Elapsed Time 0 mins 30 secs

User Partition Format Successful - Elapsed Time 0 mins 30 secs

Zone re-format was skipped.

Same problems still -- drive shows in BIOS, but doesn't show in Windows.

Any ideas? Should I do the BSY fix? Or try another command?

Thanks for your help.

• 2 weeks later...

My friend's 750gb SD46 drive was stuck in the BSY state so I performed the appropriate fix. My computer recognizes the drive however when I load windows up (from my personal drive not hers) and observe her drive, the drive is only seen as 400GB in size and it is empty. What I am REALLY hoping is that Windows 7 (my OS) cannot read the section of the drive which was written by Windows Vista (her OS) which would mean about 350GB of her data is still on the drive and I just can't see it. Can anyone confirm that this is the case? I would test it myself on her computer obviously but she won't be home until tomorrow.

I am glad that the drive is at least detectable in Windows now so if necessary I can run data recovery software.

Edited by shoot2thrill

Can anyone confirm that this is the case? I would test it myself on her computer obviously but she won't be home until tomorrow.

I am glad that the drive is at least detectable in Windows now so if necessary I can run data recovery software.

No, meaning that it is NOT confirmed (nor will be).

For *any* reason the partition table (or something else) has gone or is invalid, you need to run recovery oriented software to first thing try rebuilding the parition table and filesystem and, should this not be possible, use file-based recovery.

A similar/related thread:

If you need help for the recovery start a NEW thread.

jaclaz