The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

No, it is actually RECOMMENDED to do the power cycle wayting at least sixty seconds BEFORE going to

F3 T> 

level.

It is NOT RECOMMENDED to power down the drive AFTER the

F3 T>m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22 (enter) 

BEFORE *enough* time is elapsed (i.e. while the command is still executing).

This *enough* time can be measured in (from reports, most of which completely void of *any* actual realiability :ph34r: ) *anything* between 10 seconds and 1 or more hours.

More supposedly reliable reports give a max at around 10 minutes, so, after 15 minutes it's OK to power down the drive and re-do from where you should have powered it down initially.

jaclaz

Thanks so far guys.

I repowered, but when I restart the drive, I get the "LED:000000CC FAddr:002490D" Message in the terminal. Seems like this is a problem for HP drives (I got one with the HP24 firmware on it).

So I cannot access the drive. I just can disconnect the PCB again and do all the steps from the start, but it still get stuck after the last step.

Any ideas on that?

It is a ST3500620AS drive.

Maybe it will make a difference to cover the head and not the motor during the first steps. What do you think?

Maybe it will make a difference to cover the head and not the motor during the first steps. What do you think?

You can try that. Do the whole procedure again carefully from scratch and remember to power it down when recommended.

Sure:

http://www.mapleleafmountain.com/seagatebrick.html

(Note: Some guides on the web have suggested insulating the *other* set of contacts (the "head" contacts) you see in the lower left of the above photo to the right. I tried this originally and it didn't work for me but obviously others have had some success with it. In *my* case, with 1TB model drives, I can assure you that insulating the slightly easier to access motor contacts worked where the head contacts method didn't. I suspect the specific model of your drive will account for the varying levels of the results so if one way doesn't work for you, think about trying the other. You'll know to look here if the HyperTerminal session won't allow you to spin down the drive and continues to give you the BSY error in reply - "LED:01...blah blah blah". If you're allowed to spin down the drive, then this bit isn't your issue.)

You have nothing to loose in trying, if one set of contacts does not work on your drive, try the other.

jaclaz

Thanks guys. It worked for me by covering the head. The hdd is now detected by bios. I will check now if the data is untouched, but it should be.

I really appreciate your help and effort. Many thanks!

Edited by d4m1

Hello.I've successfully unbricked my HDD from BSY state.After trying three times with a Nokia CA-53 cable I've decided to buy the famous CA-42 one and it worked.

My HDD is ST3500320AS firmware SD15(bought in december 2008) and the nokia cable's code is WT048000317.Thank you guys.Oh and I've added two screens with the driver that Win7 installed when I plugged in the cable.Thanks again.

post-325580-0-59455900-1307123921_thumb. post-325580-0-34406200-1307123935_thumb.

After trying three times with a Nokia CA-53 cable I've decided to buy the famous CA-42 one and it worked.

With all due respect, not really "news".

See here:

After all we could add this bit of info on the read-me-first and FGA's ;):

adding to the list the CA-53 :unsure:

:angel

jaclaz

Hi,

I am using a USB to TTL adapter for the purpose. I did a loopback test and the results were positive. Now when I connect the Tx to the Tx, Rx to the Rx and Gnd to Gnd, and press Ctrl Z, this is what I get..

post-310776-0-22367000-1307172487_thumb.

I also tried changing from Rx to Tx on the adapter but no result with that as well.

I have also attached pictures of my set up.. Please let me know if I need to make any changes.

post-310776-0-38451600-1307172675_thumb.post-310776-0-73598100-1307172684_thumb.post-310776-0-06956600-1307172831_thumb.post-310776-0-14767000-1307172840_thumb.

Thanks in advance.

@104

Have you checked, double checked and triple checked the settings for speed/parity, etc?

That is point #9 of read-me-first:

I hope that the pictures are taken after you have removed the SATA power connector for the disk that WAS there (and powered) when you attempted the Ctrl+Z. :whistle:

Though it is probably NOT the case, do re-read, this time slowly, the point about GROUNDING (that will be point #7):

WHAT are you using to power the drive?

Like:

• a connector from the PSU of the SAME PC that you have the USB/TTL converter connected
  • another PC PSU
  • another "external drive" power supply

jaclaz

Well this made me laugh at myself.. lol.. I didn't use anything to power the HDD.. :lol:

WHAT are you using to power the drive?

Like:

* a connector from the PSU of the SAME PC that you have the USB/TTL converter connected

* another PC PSU

* another "external drive" power supply

I will be using power supply from the same pc with which I have the USB/TTL converter connected. I have a Corsair VX450W power supply.

I simply connect the SATA cable from the power supply to the HDD. Right? Any specific things to be taken at this stage? I mean I don't want to fry the converter or something. Further, when the SATA cable is connected, do I switch on the PC at that time or I switch on the PC and then connect the SATA cable?

Thanks again!

Further, when the SATA cable is connected, do I switch on the PC at that time or I switch on the PC and then connect the SATA cable?

The second you said.

You have everything setup (PC booted), then you connect the converter, then you connect the HD power cable.

The good news are that you need not further GROUNDING, as the GND of the PC PSU is connected through the USB to the converter and from it to the HD, and as well it is the same ground connected through the HD power cable.

jaclaz

After trying three times with a Nokia CA-53 cable I've decided to buy the famous CA-42 one and it worked.

With all due respect, not really "news".

See here:

After all we could add this bit of info on the read-me-first and FGA's ;):

adding to the list the CA-53 :unsure:

:angel

jaclaz

My bad...I skipped a few pages but I learned from my mistake.