The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

Ok orange wires are sealed tight and no ways of getting them our of SATA connector as it is a seales unit and those are the only orange wires in the case.

Next suggestion would probably be 2 x AA batteries closed together>?

Thanks

Can't you READ the read-me-first (again and again)?

This would be point #11.

Red is 5V!

You DO NOT want to power that adapter at 5V.

The whole idea of spending time to write that read-me-first was to avoid senseless posts like yours added to the preseent thread! :realmad:

jaclaz

Excuse my ignorance Jaclaz,

But as per my pic below I don't see any orange cables unless I am colour blind and my glasses deceive me.

I also don't see this as a senseless post as this is from a thread on your forum and believe this to be informative if I can't identify the wire and someone else sees this they too will not be confused!

Yes i did read posts saying red is 5v but if the orange cable in my case is a sealed unit what is my next step is what I am trying to get to?

I appreciate you get hundreds of posts a day with comments like myne but please at least have the patience to point out the obvious without getting too hard headed as just like others I am no expert in electronics but am trying my damned hardest to get this to work.

Once again thanks for your comments I appreciate ALL the help I can get.

post-325364-0-38217300-1307101295_thumb.

Thanks BlouBul,

Orange cable in the box is going to a sealed SATA unit which means I can not get power from there.

Any idea on what my next step is?

Many thanks

Orange cable in the box is going to a sealed SATA unit which means I can not get power from there.

There is usually a usable orange cable in one of the wires coming from your PSU. Otherwise try the red one (don't tell jaclaznewwink.gif). It might work if you are lucky (where the orange one will definitely work). If it doesn't work, try to make plan with the orange one.

The issue is NOT about "ignorance", it is about "refusing to listen" or "refusing to read and learn".

BEFORE asking for help, you bought an RS232 to TTL adapter to be coupled to a USB to RS232 one. ( which is NOT the "best" choice).

Then you started asking help about it (and EACH and EVERY time you were pointed to where that SAME question was ALREADY answered and easily accessible).

This is Ok and fine for first question or two of them, as you might have not found the stickies in the Forum, but going on and on?

I am used to people that when told (TWICE) to "use 3.3V" or to "use 3.3V orange cable", if they cannot find a way to get 3.3 V, after having read the given resources/answers whatever, specifically:

Another good idea if you have a Desktop PC is to get the power from it's cables:

Black=0V

Orange= 3.3V

Red= 5V

or if they don't understand what is ALREADY written, ask for clarification, WITHOUT proposing they can use Red instead. :w00t:

Here:

http://jwenet.net/notebook/2005/1161.html

Rest assured that a standard PC PSU does have an orange wire and that it is at 3.3 V cc.

To further clear the reason why I am shouting at you, it is because you are hiding behind the "I am no expert in electronics " excuse, which is m00t, if you were an expert an electronics you wouldn't be here, but the tutorials, this thread, the read-me-first and the FGA's seemingly made hundreds, maybe thousands of non-electronic-experts succeed.

The questions they made, and the answers they got represent EXPERIENCE that is shared with everyone.

Since ALWAYS the SAME questions were made, we attempted to reduce the number of new memebrs re-asking them by giving the ANSWERS to those recurring questions (with the side effect of - having spent lots of time in writing those - to save some in trying to help in this thread).

It is only too bad, this plan doesn't work because people simply ignore what is ALREADY written. :(

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

Jaclaz I already had usb to rs232 handy so felt it no need to buy a nokia cable in your point as it is not the people's choice.

Also if you can't except a user 'going on and on' what kind of forum can you call this?

I in no way intend to offend you but maybe you need to take a step back and breathe before firing across answers like this?

Yes I appreciate you get the same questions but this is by no means an 'easy' task to complete for a first timer!

And I am not trying to hide behind the 'I'm no electronics expert' as you can see I clearly am no electronic expert lol.I am simply trying to get justification in answers so I can succeed in saving relevant data on the hard drive.

I am also well aware PC psu's have orange cable and didn't say they don't,myne in this instance happens to be in a sealled sata unit as i said before which I can not access.

Anyways thanks once again for your patience, I will read the read me for the umteenth time to try best to understand it.

Mate end of the day I am not here to argue with you, if you get upset with my questions then please feel free not to answer or paste the 'readme' file again, as I in no way dissrespect you and would appreciate the same.

I do beleive you guys are doing a fantastic job and would not be (half-way) there without this forum.

Thanks

Well, use *anything* else that provides around 3.3 V cc, then.

Last time I checked a PC PSU, for the record, it did have a connector going to the motherboard, as in the given picture:

http://jwenet.net/notebook/2005/1161.html

(and not to a "sealed SATA" thingy) and I could easily insert a wire with first centimeter or so of the insulation stripped off with the connector actually connected to the motherboard.

If you have a spare PC PSU, you can use the "bent paperclip" trick (or a short piece of wire) to turn it on:

http://www.dansdata.com/danletters020.htm

The ATX PSU trick

What wires do I short to make my ATX PSU turn on without a motherboard?

Answer:

Pin 14 (the only green wire on the ATX connector) to any ground (black wire).

runatx360.jpg

Or maybe you can get your hands on a ATX Y splitter?

Example (NOT cheap):

http://www.atxpowersupplies.com/atx-20-pin-y-splitter.php

jaclaz

Brilliant!

Thanks jaclaz,I do have a spare psu and will try this.

So to re-iterate Orange and one black (being ground) to connect in place of the battery correct?

Thanks

So to re-iterate Orange and one black (being ground) to connect in place of the battery correct?

Yep. :thumbup

Remember GROUNDING (point #7 of read-me-first).

Let's hope that only the low battery voltage is the problem in your case.

jaclaz

Hi guys,

just tried to unbrick my Seagate drive.

I got stuck after the last step.

I put in "m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22" and am now waiting for more then 15 Minutes, but there is no output.

What can I do?

Edited by d4m1

Hi guys,

just tried to unbrick my Seagate drive.

I got stuck after the last step.

I put in "m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22" and am now waiting for more then 15 Minutes, but there is no output.

What can I do?

You forgot to do the "optional" power down step. Power down and redo the last part.

You are right, I didn't do that. Ok, you are talking about powering down by removing the SATA Power Cable, right? I thought it is not recommended to that if you get stuck within the last step.

Edited by d4m1