The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

Hello!

Let me start from scratch.. First the stuff..

I am using a USB to TTL converter.. this one.. http://www.rhydolabz.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=304

Jumper wires.. both male and female.. these ones.. http://www.rhydolabz.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=726 and http://www.rhydolabz.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=727

Firstly, do i need to attach the converter to the breadboard? I doubt it since the adapter is USB powered. please confirm..

Secondly, in what order should the jumper wires be connected?

GND from HDD to what on adapter?

TX from HDD to RX on adapter?

RX from HDD to TX on adapter?

Thirdly, do i need to put in place a cardstock so as to break the connection between the drive's logic board and the motor?

Fourthly, should i connect the adapter to the USB of my pc when the pc is switched off? Or directly when its on?

Thanks in advance

Let me start from scratch.. First the stuff..

Well NO. :angry:

That would be acceptable if there wasn't a READ ME FIRST, the FGA's and a Guide (actually several ones) with pictures AND a great number of these same questions asked and answered to AND the actual "homepage" of the converter.

I am using a USB to TTL converter.. this one.. http://www.rhydolabz.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=304

Jumper wires.. both male and female.. these ones.. http://www.rhydolabz.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=726 and http://www.rhydolabz.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=727

Firstly, do i need to attach the converter to the breadboard? I doubt it since the adapter is USB powered. please confirm..

READ:

http://www.rhydolabz.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=304

. The unit is powered through USB and does not require external Power.

Point #11

Secondly, in what order should the jumper wires be connected?

GND from HDD to what on adapter?

TX from HDD to RX on adapter?

RX from HDD to TX on adapter?

Maybe Ground ? :whistle:

READ:

Point #7

Point #7

About Tx/Rx ;):

Be aware of UART dislexia :ph34r:

:lol:

Thirdly, do i need to put in place a cardstock so as to break the connection between the drive's logic board and the motor?

READ:

http://www.mapleleafmountain.com/seagatebrick.html

Point #11:

11. A small piece of cardstock. Yep, I said cardstock. Plain old thick, rigid paper. It might help a bit if it's slightly slippery on one or both sides, like something you'd find stuck inside slick, pre-printed retail packaging. It will be used to temporarily break the connection between the drive's logic board and motor contacts in our process. Nothing metal, foil, or even plastic as they can all have conductivity and static issues. Dig out that postcard you sent yourself from Holland last year. It needs to be about that thick so you can pull it out midway through the repair without ripping.

Additional info in "Down to Business - Prep the Drive":

(Note: Some guides on the web have suggested insulating the *other* set of contacts (the "head" contacts) you see in the lower left of the above photo to the right. I tried this originally and it didn't work for me but obviously others have had some success with it. In *my* case, with 1TB model drives, I can assure you that insulating the slightly easier to access motor contacts worked where the head contacts method didn't. I suspect the specific model of your drive will account for the varying levels of the results so if one way doesn't work for you, think about trying the other. You'll know to look here if the HyperTerminal session won't allow you to spin down the drive and continues to give you the BSY error in reply - "LED:01...blah blah blah". If you're allowed to spin down the drive, then this bit isn't your issue.)

Fourthly, should i connect the adapter to the USB of my pc when the pc is switched off? Or directly when its on?

Doesn't matter actually, as long as you have the drivers for it installed and hyperterminal can see the virtual COM device.

Try it first without anything connected to it.

Then do a loopback test.

Only if the loopback test connect to the HD.

READ:

Point #8

READ:

Point #5

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

I have had success using a company called PCB Solution at this ebay link: http://cgi.ebay.com/Seagate-Barracuda-7200-11-500-500GB-ST3500820AS-Any-PCB-/230620298935?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35b20a7eb7#ht_2067wt_1037

Cost was US$50 with free shipping of returned controller card. I had to purchase a set of Torx screwdrivers to detach the controller card.

I have been able to recover all the data from the hard drive. Very happy about this!

Derryl

I have had success using a company called PCB Solution at this ebay link: http://cgi.ebay.com/...#ht_2067wt_1037

That sounds like is a good way if you have that specific PCB AND the problem is the PCB and NOT BSY or 0LBA.whistling.gif

From your link:

When to buy this item: A common problem with Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 drives is that it would suddenly stop being recognized by the computer, or be recognized as 0MBs. Normally, there is a decent chance that it could be the PCB at fault, but with 7200.11 drives, it usually is NOT the PCB, but a firmware problem instead. A data recovery professional is a better choice.

We recommend buying this item when you are sure it is the PCB. For example, if there was a power surge, or some components are obviously burnt, or the wrong power adapter was used to power up the drive. If the drive will not spin up at all, and wasn't dropped, chances of success with replacing the PCB are quite good.

Edited by BlouBul

I have a failed ST31500341AS. I don't know what happened to it, nobody was using the computer and I found it frozen with a black screen. After a power cycle I heard the hard-disk emitting a mechanical clicking noise, about one click per second, for around 10 seconds. After that, it stops clicking.

It's detected by the BIOS as: "ST_M13FQBL 1117F38F SMART Capable and Status BAD". The motor spins. I have verified the SN on Seagate's website and it says that the firmware (CC1H) is not affected by the bug.

I bought a Nokia CA-47 cable, tested it on a working HDD and got the prompt.

But I can't get any message from the failed drive no matter what I do. Tried insulating the contacts near the disk center or the other ones. Also tried connecting to the PCB when fully detached from the disk. Nothing.

What else can I do? Try harder? :)

I'm thinking that since the BIOS detects something, the PCB should be working.. so why can't I connect to it? Can I try with a similar PCB? I've read somewhere that the new Seagate drives are tied together with their PCB, so replacing it would not work. Is that true for this model?

Edited by silviumc

I'm thinking that since the BIOS detects something, the PCB should be working.. so why can't I connect to it? Can I try with a similar PCB? I've read somewhere that the new Seagate drives are tied together with their PCB, so replacing it would not work. Is that true for this model?

READ this sticky :whistle: :

AND the two posts just above yours.

jaclaz

Ok, got it :)

Reading around some more, it appears that CC1H should not be affected by BSY or LBA.0. So I'm in the wrong thread, sorry about that. What else can I do? What does that clicking mean, what's the disk trying to do at that time? I'm thinking that there is still hope of data recovery with a spinning rotor and a PCB detected by BIOS. I'll try to find a relevant thread.. if anyone has suggestions, please direct me. Thank you.

PS: I cannot afford the professional services from Seagate, so I'm gonna try to do it myself.

Edited by silviumc

Ok, got it :)

Reading around some more, it appears that CC1H should not be affected by BSY or LBA.0. So I'm in the wrong thread, sorry about that. What else can I do? What does that clicking mean, what's the disk trying to do at that time? I'm thinking that there is still hope of data recovery with a spinning rotor and a PCB detected by BIOS. I'll try to find a relevant thread.. if anyone has suggestions, please direct me. Thank you.

PS: I cannot afford the professional services from Seagate, so I'm gonna try to do it myself.

No ideas, sorry. :(

The fact that you cannot "talk" to the PCB should mean that the PCB has some problems (alt least in the TTL serial module), so you have to try to change it, only you cannot do it as a DYI job, and you need anyway to have someone with the proper knowledge/tools to get the data from the eprom on your PCB and put them on the replacement one or physically desolder and re-solder the EPROM.

I wouldn't trust the "CC1H1" is not affected.

In some cases the procedure to fix the BSY or LBA0 has been reported to anyway reset *something*.

Compare with READ-ME-FIRST point #1 (last sentence of "FOREWORD"):

Essentially if you can perform the fix, it may solve the problem nonetheless (or it may be irrelevant) but curretnly you CANNOT perform the fix since you cannot talk to the disk.

WHICH other "working hard disk" did you try?

Same exact model (7200.11)?

The cable may be able to talk to the other HD and may have problems with the settings needed for the 7200.11. :unsure:

Or you may have had a "bad connection" somehow.

Trying once again to get to the prompt is advised, but if you cannot you are pretty much stuck wothout "professional" help.

jaclaz

Not exactly the same model, it was a ST3500413AS and the failed disk is ST31500341AS. I know that unless I can connect to it, there's nothing I can do. Maybe I'll try a different cable.

Not exactly the same model, it was a ST3500413AS and the failed disk is ST31500341AS. I know that unless I can connect to it, there's nothing I can do. Maybe I'll try a different cable.

That is a 7200.12.

AFAICR the settings are the same, both as TTL leve and as transmission speed, etc.

I seem to remember that some newer seagate models don't like 3.3 V TTL levels, but the 7200.12 should (and the Nokia thingy is actually at 3.3 V.

It sounds like you have a problem beyond the scope of the thread :ph34r: , however trying with another cable won't do any harm.

jaclaz

hi..

i have a ST3320812as barracuda 7200.11 hdd.

my drive had a 0LBA error.visible in BIOS and showing 0MB

i have followed the instructions give for 0lba error

but when i connected my hdd to power i have got a message Rst 0x08M

even then i have given F3 T>m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22 comand

but no response waited for about 20min.....

I registered for the sole purpose of replying to this thread. Gradius, thank you. I've got my drive working again. Only thing I had to change was instead of connecting the RX > TX and TX > RX, was connect RX > RX and TX > TX. A bit counter-intuitive. Much appreciated to everyone who has contributed... really gave me a lift, thanks.

Hi Gradius ......

Thank you for your valuable information....

my hdd is affected by 0lba error known by your information

when i have connected my sata (ST3320813AS) hard drive

when i have connected to the serial port

i have got a message Rst 0x08M in the terminal

i have attatched the image pls find

After the i hav followed i hav give the commands given by you and no response waited for half an hour

still it is having the same problem

visible in BIOS and showing 0MB

post-324761-0-31132600-1306338387_thumb.

Hi

I've got 2x ES.2 drives that were part of a Raid5 array that have this issue. after trying a usb ttl cable and having no luck I got a nokia CA-42 cable which after a little trial and error it worked and talked to the drive.

I intially got the LED: 000000CE... lines come up and eventually after fiddling again got the ctrl-z to work and did the slightly lift board from head connector trick as mentioned on this thread: which also worked.

This is what happened next:

F3 T>/2

F3 2>Z

Spin Down Complete

Elapsed Time 0.155 msecs

F3 2>U

I didnt get a spin up or anything and now the drive just makes a ..... buzzz........buzzz......buzzz....noise rather than attempt to spin up with no communication with the terminal sw. both drives have done the same.

They are Barracuda ES.2 250GB - ST3250310NS

Can anyone help at all please, are they now totalled or is there any more tricks out there that might get me to progress with this?

Many Many Thanks in advance!