The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

Hello Gradius2 i had the same question. and i just really need a yes or no cuz to be honest when it come to being this far in computer skills im a noob. my segant is a 1.31T i believe and i have 158gb of memory on it. my computer recently crashed and friend recovered all my memory and put it on to the segant my dad got. now i belive i have the 0 LBA error because i got freaked for my segant shows that all data is gone when i gointo the folders( all folders are still there) but when i press properties it says all my data is there. it is very important for me to get my data recoverd wich is why im asking if the process u listed will wipe my data clean or will it recover it all. please respond soon for if it will recovermy data then not only are u a god but then i can sent this page to my friend and he can follow ur steps. i just cant risk loosing all my data. please please please help me. :unsure: o and my computer is a windows xp not sure if thats relevent or not but in case it does thats my system.

i had 1 other question, if i only have a 0 LBA error do i have to take the whole segeant apart hook up all the wires and put it back together? or can i just follow the steps below. please help form anyone and everyone would be very much appriciated!

A HyperTerminal mini-guide:

For Windows XP users, you'll find it here:

Accessories > Communications > HyperTerminal

Or under RUN, copy&paste: "C:Program FilesWindows NThypertrm.exe" (enter)

Configuring HyperTerminal:

Just ignore this one, isn't useful anymore (that was used back in BBS time):

01.jpg

Press CANCEL and then YES, and finally OK. You'll have this screen:

02.jpg

Type Seagate (if you want, any name is fine here).

If you get the same screen (1st one), just do the same: Cancel, Yes, ok.

Now choose the COM port, generally you'll use COM2 (check your computer devices to know the port available). If you don't have ANY COM, you'll need to buy an USB to RS232 adaptor.

So, I'll use COM2:

03.jpg

Press OK.

Now the speed, just let it like that:

04.jpg

And press OK.

Under View, select a smaller font, like 9.

You should get something now as soon you make a connection with Seagate HDD (and everything is connected of course).

Keep in mind, be real careful and don't even try this if you're afraid.

Gradius

Hey Gradius2,

You could be a hero if i can recover my data (ANY of it) with this.

After the above steps, it that the proceedure complete and the drive ready to connect to the pc or is there then more steps to get my data back.

Thanks

After all that, your drive will be ready to use it again (before the state of this stupid error).

Since there is NO stable firmware (of fixed firmware) until date (thanks $eagate!), I recommend to backup your datas as soon you recovery the HDD.

Edited by SpiritGuide

If you can see the folders (but not the files in them) you ARE NOT suffering from LBA0. (and you won't find ANYTHING useful in this thread, please start a new one (DO NOT post here on this thread, start a NEW thread) with an actual EXACT description of the actions taken, current status, etc.

Keep in mind these:

http://homepages.tesco.net/J.deBoynePollard/FGA/problem-report-standard-litany.html

http://homepage.ntlworld.com./jonathan.deboynepollard/FGA/put-down-the-chocolate-covered-banana.html

as a general guideline.

In any case, should it have been a LBA0, yes, you would have had to "dirty your hands" and "have to take the whole segeant apart hook up all the wires and put it back together", do you really think that if it was fixable without specific hardware, and by simply running a few lines in hyperterminal we would instead be suggesting the actual (complex) procedure as we do? :w00t:

jaclaz

i had 1 other question, if i only have a 0 LBA error do i have to take the whole segeant apart hook up all the wires and put it back together?

No/Yes/No for the three parts of your one hypothetical question. If you only have a 0 LBA error (which you do NOT have), you do not have to take the whole segeant apart (meaning you can leave the PC board on as it is not in a locked state), but you still have to hook up all the wires to get communication.

now i belive i have the 0 LBA error because i got freaked for my segant shows that all data is gone when i go into the folders( all folders are still there) but when i press properties it says all my data is there.

No, you do not. Start a new thread as jaclaz suggested.

Also see if anything here helps

http://www.msfn.org/...post__p__944270 and

http://www.msfn.org/...post__p__944571

Edited by BlouBul

If you can see the folders (but not the files in them) you ARE NOT suffering from LBA0. (and you won't find ANYTHING useful in this thread, please start a new one (DO NOT post here on this thread, start a NEW thread) with an actual EXACT description of the actions taken, current status, etc.

Keep in mind these:

http://homepages.tesco.net/J.deBoynePollard/FGA/problem-report-standard-litany.html

http://homepage.ntlworld.com./jonathan.deboynepollard/FGA/put-down-the-chocolate-covered-banana.html

as a general guideline.

In any case, should it have been a LBA0, yes, you would have had to "dirty your hands" and "have to take the whole segeant apart hook up all the wires and put it back together", do you really think that if it was fixable without specific hardware, and by simply running a few lines in hyperterminal we would instead be suggesting the actual (complex) procedure as we do? :w00t:

jaclaz

Hello ALL<

i know u said not to reply but i had the question if u know what is wrong with my seagate if its not a 0 lba. if u do then when i make a thread could u please postonto it? today ive been taking pictures of the screen and the error that comes up my system the seagate system...ect.. and wat should i call the post to get people to know exactly wat the problem is and people can help me. ya i know im a noob but i never make threads normay dont need to. and when it comes to external drives for example or the inner part of the c drive for example i dont know what sometings mean or wat to do. and i havent unplugged the seagate becouse i dont know if i do anything to it like unpluggng for example will loose all the data that is actually on it. i thought it was a 0 lba becouse everything comes up as 0 sept that i do have foldrs on there, the data inside is just gone. but if i go into the properties of the drive it says there is 154gb on the drive which is accurate for everything that was saved on it. so everythings there but i cant see it and the "bios" i think are showing 0gm,mb,k.bytes..ect... but i havent done anything to the drive sept open folders and look at properties im to affraid of loosing everyting i dont want to touch it till someone says its ok. my boyfriend suggested a new drive i should get but first i need to save the data on this one.

all my data is on the seagate becouse recently i as having a boot problem were it would got to the emachine logo like normal but after that it would go to a black screen and we would have to boot it again to even be able to go into safe mode options. my friend (who if it had been a 0 lba error i would take to do the taking the drive apart and stufff) was able to save all out data from the c drive and saved it onto the seagate drive my dad bought brandnew during the last blackfriday. everything was working great i was playing WOW stright after we got it back and my friend even made sure that it wosnt WOW that had coused the crash in the first place. and it wasnt so i got to play and i was all happy.

april 12 i pulled an all nighter till about 5am then i exited game took a 20min nap and got ready for school. so now it was the 13th i got home from school and turned on th monitor. thats when a message came up saying delay write failed and it kept sayig the data was lost maybe due to hardrive or network conection. and i freaked plain and simple i opend the i drive(seagate) and the folders were all there but inside were empty, even subfolders were gone sept in document and settings folder were is showed all users and then inside all is empty. i called my friend and he didnt know but was gonna look into it but since its our senior year in highschool and we have 21 days left hes been really busy and hasnt goten back to me since the 13th. the message that keeps poping up is a Delay Write Failed for I:\$Mft. but i dont know wat that is.

so i dont know wat to do. and now even though u probablbly dont want it and hate me for giving u so much to read now u know what happend. i hope u can help and if u cant can u please at least help get wats important out of wat ive writen so i know what ot put on a new thread? please. ha i feel real pathetic and noob but im desperate and i need help i have to mny important files on that drive like family photos for example of deceased relatives :( please help. and please reply. u could be a life saver! and i could use one real bad. specially since it was without couse and had worked only 9 hours befre the problem and no one else touched the computer at all inbetween. so im really stumped and agian im sorry for wriing so much. :blushing:

and sorry to everyone else who tries to help me for agian i wrote a crap load but all help would be apriciated!! and all help in creating a new thread would very much be needed and apriciate. it wold be my 1st thread :blushing:

so now i know that its not a oLBA error so now im back at square 1 :(:}

thank u all for ur patiance. i have good software skills but i am severely lacking in hardware knowlegde so again i apologize for that...

~ SpiritGuide~

Edited by SpiritGuide

START A NEW thread, please.

Here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/forum/169-hard-drive-and-removable-media-issues/

Title it "Folders 0 byte s in size"

jaclaz

hey i made a new thread. its titled "New Seagate. folder shows 0bytes" or somthing like that i dont completely remember wat the last words are just the basic point. please see if u can help:)

Thanks Gradius for putting up this solution. I myself don't I have the cojones to do PCB "bypass" operation on my HD. Looking for a safer route to resolving my HD issue for now.

I have the Seagate 7200.11 ST3500320AS hard drive. Recently, my hard drive started having trouble being recognized at PC start up - no hardware or software changed as of late. Sometimes I see the HD, other times I don't. Really bizarre. When I do see it and choose to load the OS that's installed on it, I will see the windows logo for about 5 to 10 secs and then wham, the system restarts automatically. It's almost as if the HD disappears few seconds into start up.

I am wondering if it is a PCB problem. The number is 100466725. Check out the pics. Note the distinct brown patches on two of the chips... doesn't look normal.

Thinking about getting a replacement PCB. Please let me know if you think a PCB replacement will solve the problem.

Thanks in advance.

post-322677-0-39215200-1303536544_thumb.

post-322677-0-61689900-1303536553_thumb.

Thinking about getting a replacement PCB. Please let me know if you think a PCB replacement will solve the problem.

Thanks in advance.

Why don't you READ?

This thread is about TWO specific problems (that are NOT the one you are having).

ANYWAY there is a Read-me-first:

and a FGA's (Frequently Given Answers) thread:

that you should READ BEFORE posting here! :realmad: (as CLEARLY stated on the top of this very Forum):

Hard Drive and Removable Media issues Rules

If you have questions about Seagate 7200.11, do read the READ_ME_FIRST, then read the FGA. If your questions remain unanswered after reading those two stickies, then post. For all other Hard Drive and Removable Media issues, you may post right away.

From FGA's FGA #1:

1. I have exactly the same HDD in my other computer. Will a PCB swap work?

No. Although that used to work on some older models, in newer HDD's like the Seagate 7200.11, the PCB is specific to the drive and you risk frying both if you try that.

There are so many careless users that fail to do the above that there is even a THIRD sticky dedicated to the PCB replacement or "swap" approach, READ IT, NOW:

jaclaz

Hello all, thanks for the support...I'd like to write here only to say "thanks for the guide, i restored my hd", but sadly I can't. I've read many guides, and HELP and FAQ topics too. I used a ca-42 cable; i succesfully looped back; but couldn't connect to the HD. Now to make it simple, I have a short question. Before doing any attempt, HD started up when I powered it. Now, after taking off isolating paper, placing screws, and powering, it doesn't do NOTHING. I'm really worried. The only question is: did I definitely fried my HD? Or maybe that this is normal when you start up HD with motors isolated, plug out, and then when you reconnect (removing the paper) and power up for some reason the HD will not start up? Many Thanks.

i succesfully looped back; but couldn't connect to the HD. Now to make it simple, I have a short question. Before doing any attempt, HD started up when I powered it. Now, after taking off isolating paper, placing screws, and powering, it doesn't do NOTHING. I'm really worried. The only question is: did I definitely fried my HD? Or maybe that this is normal when you start up HD with motors isolated, plug out, and then when you reconnect (removing the paper) and power up for some reason the HD will not start up?

Bricked HDD does not always make sounds when you put power on (they sometimes just behave like a typical brick newwink.gif). Try the whole procedure carefully again. Did you try the suggestions in the FGA # 4?

After a successful Loopback test, you can connect your converter to your HDD. If you still do not get a signal after Ctrl-Z, try switching Tx and Rx around. Make sure your HDD is powered. Make sure your PCB is not connected by isolating either the Motor or Head contacts. Also make sure you have a 3.3V converter and NOTa 5V converter (Read-Me-First Point #10). Check grounding (Read-Me-First Point #7).

Hello all, thanks for the support...I'd like to write here only to say "thanks for the guide, i restored my hd", but sadly I can't. I've read many guides, and HELP and FAQ topics too. I used a ca-42 cable; i succesfully looped back; but couldn't connect to the HD. Now to make it simple, I have a short question. Before doing any attempt, HD started up when I powered it. Now, after taking off isolating paper, placing screws, and powering, it doesn't do NOTHING. I'm really worried. The only question is: did I definitely fried my HD? Or maybe that this is normal when you start up HD with motors isolated, plug out, and then when you reconnect (removing the paper) and power up for some reason the HD will not start up? Many Thanks.

It seems to me like you missed some (most) of the actual Read-me-first (the part that says DO NOT use a CA-42 cable unless you know what you are doing :whistle: ).

Anyway, it is possible that you simply "bent" a little the contacts (by using a too thick piece of paper) :unsure:.

The general idea is to always check if the interface can communicate with the HD AFTER a successful loopback test but BEFORE loosing the screws/inserting the cardboard.

It is possible that you fried the PCB :ph34r:, but not very likely :) (you should have seen smoke coming out of it, or visible burns on a chip or your power supply would have shut down because of a shorted TVS diode).

A good idea would be to completely remove the PCB, thoroughly verify visually contacts AND clean them, then try mounting back the PCB tightening the screws firmly (compare with Isaac Asimov's take on this):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Risk_(short_story)

http://www.rogerclarke.com/SOS/Asimov.html#Expt

* The ambiguity and cultural dependence of terms

Any set of "machine values" provides enormous scope for linguistic ambiguity. A robot must be able to distinguish robots from humans. It must be able to recognize an order and distinguish it from a casual request. It must "understand" the concept of its own existence, a capability that arguably has eluded mankind, although it may be simpler for robots. In one short story, for example, the vagueness of the word firmly in the order "Pull [the bar] towards you firmly" jeopardizes a vital hyperspace experiment. Because robot strength is much greater than that of humans, it pulls the bar more powerfully than the human had intended, bends it, and thereby ruins the control mechanism.

See here for reference:

:hello:

jaclaz

Bricked HDD does not always make sounds when you put power on (they sometimes just behave like a typical brick newwink.gif). Try the whole procedure carefully again. Did you try the suggestions in the FGA # 4?

Good news; the strange fact here is that the HD did make a startup noise, and now it doesn't...

It seems to me like you missed some (most) of the actual Read-me-first (the part that says DO NOT use a CA-42 cable unless you know what you are doing :whistle: ).

Anyway, it is possible that you simply "bent" a little the contacts (by using a too thick piece of paper) :unsure:.

The general idea is to always check if the interface can communicate with the HD AFTER a successful loopback test but BEFORE loosing the screws/inserting the cardboard.

It is possible that you fried the PCB :ph34r:, but not very likely :) (you should have seen smoke coming out of it, or visible burns on a chip or your power supply would have shut down because of a shorted TVS diode).

A good idea would be to completely remove the PCB, thoroughly verify visually contacts AND clean them, then try mounting back the PCB tightening the screws firmly (compare with Isaac Asimov's take on this):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Risk_(short_story)

http://www.rogerclarke.com/SOS/Asimov.html#Expt

* The ambiguity and cultural dependence of terms

Any set of "machine values" provides enormous scope for linguistic ambiguity. A robot must be able to distinguish robots from humans. It must be able to recognize an order and distinguish it from a casual request. It must "understand" the concept of its own existence, a capability that arguably has eluded mankind, although it may be simpler for robots. In one short story, for example, the vagueness of the word firmly in the order "Pull [the bar] towards you firmly" jeopardizes a vital hyperspace experiment. Because robot strength is much greater than that of humans, it pulls the bar more powerfully than the human had intended, bends it, and thereby ruins the control mechanism.

See here for reference:

:hello:

jaclaz

From your description, I really don't think I fried pcb. This is good news :)

I'll try to clen headers, hope that's the problem. Thanks so much !!

UPDATE:

I just noticed that if I keep ear very close when I plug-in the power I can hear a very low periodical (0.5 sec) "tik" ...note I'm not asking help specifically on the procedure, I'm just asking if in your opinion my HD is still alive and if I should keep trying the procedure, maybe buying a serial adapter or something more successful.

Edited by kikko

Thanks JACLAZ for pointing me to the right direction, and also for posting up a wealth of information on this site. Yes, I was in a hurry.

You should take it a little easy though... seems like you are angry half the time in all your posts and might be becoming a bit of a RACIST, lol... read "only two little indians remain" in...

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/128807-the-solution-for-seagate-720011-hdds/page__st__3345

Seriously though, thank you. Will spend some time looking around the other pages to get my HD issue resolved.

Edited by novajohn23